Im hungry bring em back!

dopey

There used to be a chain in the Chicagoland area called ________ Robin. We'd go there for ice-cream cones after shopping with mom and grandma at the JCPenney outlet mall. The scoops were squares. The ice cream was OK. But the high point was being able to say, "Let's go to ________ Robin!"

(Hint on the name, which is partially deleted: There's a famous English poem called "Who Killed ________ Robin?" Rhymes with jock sobbin'.)

Another place that had really good square ice-cream cones was Safeway in Southern California. I understand they don't have ice-cream counters anymore. Too bad if it's true.

I feel sorry for all you guys mourning the loss of Chi-Chi's. You've obviously never had GOOD Mexican food. I wouldn't feed Chi-Chi's food to my dog, Pancho. :hurl:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
There used to be a chain in the Chicagoland area called ________ Robin. We'd go there for ice-cream cones after shopping with mom and grandma at the JCPenney outlet mall. The scoops were squares. The ice cream was OK. But the high point was being able to say, "Let's go to ________ Robin!"

Awesome... I remember the ________!
I used to love me a big fat juicy ________ robin burger!
They were tasty! :slurp:

dopey

I know nothing :cry:

I believe it's a fairly straightforward recipe easily found online. I've had it at other Mexican restaurants -- usually ones that try to appeal to gringos. A Google search of "fried ice cream recipe" should turn up several results.

dopey

Awesome... I remember the ________!
I used to love me a big fat juicy ________ robin burger!
They were tasty! :slurp:

Bad, bad, bad.

I could, but I will not join you in your eruption of joy. You're not going to get me to say that I like ________! :lookaroun

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Bad, bad, bad.

I could, but I will not join you in your eruption of joy. You're not going to get me to say that I like ________! :lookaroun

LOL! :lol: :lookaroun They were good though... I wonder why they all disappeared?

Wilt Dasney

I believe it's a fairly straightforward recipe easily found online. I've had it at other Mexican restaurants -- usually ones that try to appeal to gringos. A Google search of "fried ice cream recipe" should turn up several results.

I take it you're not a fan of Taco Bell :lookaroun

*not ashamed to say he thinks Taco Bell is highly underrated*:cool:

wedway71

Original Poster
I thought that sounded familiar. We used to have a Showbiz that was converted to Chuck E Cheese.

My aunt worked at Showbiz...one night she had to fill in for someone as the bear (I don't remember what his name was supposed to be)...anyway...she bent over to hug a kid and her incredibly heavy bear head hit the little kid on the head and he started crying. Oops! I think she was put back on pizza dury after that.
Funny Story......
I was an Account Manager for Coca Cola-Ft myers sales center(SW fla) before moving out of state.I have a bunch of accounts that were in Everglades City that were airboat tour operators and one of the managers for one of th biggest operators in the everglades was the ex CEO of Showbiz Pizza.He had retired moved to California then the owner a long life freind asked him to run the place for him.

Erika

One of my favorite things about living down here is the Mexican food. :slurp: And I am not talking about the wealthy Scottsdale-type restaurants, but the neighborhood mama y papa places.

And for fast food chain fake mall food court Mexican, Del Taco kicks serious Taco Bell butt. As does Taco Del Mar.

wedway71

Original Poster
Speak about Mexican food most of us like what is actually TEX MEX not real Mexican food. When I was in the Air Force I went to Mexico City and had a hard time finding one stinking Taco.It was a lot of pork dishes that looked like Indiana Jones ate at the Temple of Doom.When we got closer to the states started to see more TEX Mex type foods but was very hesitant to eat it.:hurl:

Wilt Dasney

One of my favorite things about living down here is the Mexican food. :slurp: And I am not talking about the wealthy Scottsdale-type restaurants, but the neighborhood mama y papa places.

And for fast food chain fake mall food court Mexican, Del Taco kicks serious Taco Bell butt. As does Taco Del Mar.

I've just always been a fan of the McDonaldized "Mexican" food. Everybody needs a few lowbrow indulgences, I guess. :lol:

I've never tried Taco Del Mar, but I like me some Del Taco. They closed the one in my old hometown not too long ago after the lease ran out. No idea if there are any here in the ATL area.

wedway71

Original Poster
I've just always been a fan of the McDonaldized "Mexican" food. Everybody needs a few lowbrow indulgences, I guess. :lol:

I've never tried Taco Del Mar, but I like me some Del Taco. They closed the one in my old hometown not too long ago after the lease ran out. No idea if there are any here in the ATL area.

Ever try TACO VIVA?-They were huge in the 70s and 80s and fazed out when Tco Bell got real popular.Any body whos my age around 35 and remembered the old Taco Viva commercials would remember this.......

Commercials starts off in a dessert with this Outlaw Jose Wales look alike guy who says.....When you say Taco Say Viva!

They had this thing called the WET BURRITO and was sooooo goood!!!!!

artvandelay

In NY, we lost Hardees a long time ago. As a kid, I loved Hardees hamburgers

Most Roy Rogers became Wendy's.

There's one Ground Round in Levittown, but no popcorn, no movies, and no 'pay what you weigh'.

No one's mentioned Arthur Treachers. They're gone, too. They had the best hush puppies.

Does anyone remember McDowell's on Union Turnpike. It was a lot like McDonald's, but it was differ......wait a minute, that was the movie 'Coming to America'.

wedway71

Original Poster
In NY, we lost Hardees a long time ago. As a kid, I loved Hardees hamburgers

Most Roy Rogers became Wendy's.

There's one Ground Round in Levittown, but no popcorn, no movies, and no 'pay what you weigh'.

No one's mentioned Arthur Treachers. They're gone, too. They had the best hush puppies.

Does anyone remember McDowell's on Union Turnpike. It was a lot like McDonald's, but it was differ......wait a minute, that was the movie 'Coming to America'.

Arthur Treachers----How could I forget them-We ate their all the time-yummy.I think Long John Silvers killed them.I lived in Ft Myers and about 2 or 3 years ago in the Edison Mall Arthur Treachers cam back in the food court for about 2 years then got replaced by a Chic Fillet.I think they had great fish,hush puppys and loved the frys too.
I went on the official Ground Round web site after thinking it was long closed and its still opened but nothing like it used to be-no popcorn,no old movies,no clowns,etc-it looked more like a Applebees type of operation-more hip less kid related.

dopey

It's funny, I actually kinda like Taco Bell every now and then. Probably because I used to eat there a lot as a teenager. What can I say? I didn't know any better. I even sort of like Jack-in-the-Box tacos. They're greasy and cheap. But I don't think we have any Jack-in-the-Box restaurants in the Chicago area anymore.

The Mexican restaurants I hate are the ones who take advantage of poor gringos by charging $20 for a plate of skirt steak, rice and beans. And these joints usually don't have any good (i.e., hot) salsa. I would rather eat at a divey tacqueria down the block from the Cook County Jail. Sure, it's sort of a rough neighborhood. But the food makes it worth the risk.

Uponastar

We have a fairly new (to this area, at least) chain restaurant here called On the Border. I've only eaten there once, but they have the absolute best chicken quesadillas I have ever eaten! And I know quesadillas! :slurp:

Wilt Dasney

Speaking of Arthur Treachers -- I saw one in the food court of the Lenox Square Mall in Buckhead (north ATL) a month or two ago, so they're not completely dead.

Erika

We have a fairly new (to this area, at least) chain restaurant here called On the Border. I've only eaten there once, but they have the absolute best chicken quesadillas I have ever eaten! And I know quesadillas! :slurp:

Oh yeah, I've been there! We had them in Chicago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom