Illuminations...am I the only one?

Eyorefan

*sigh*

EPCOT is meant to inspire.Are guests really insipid enough to want more excitement in a FIREWORK show?Look at its message.Where else in the world can you find a show that relates the human chronicle through music,lights and fire?

Is there any appreciation for the arts or at least creativity anymore?

2000th Post. Appropriate that IllumiNations was once IllumiNations 2000:Reflections of Earth.

Yes, EPCOT is meant to inspire. I think the message they are trying to convay with illumiNations IS inspiring, but I don't think they do a very good job telling the story.

I'm not after more fireworks (that's wishes) or Characters (that's Fantasmic). What I am after is a show that tells a story well and inspires people. I don't think IllumiNations does either of those two things. In fact I would go so far as to say that the globe with its fuzzy pictures is a waste of space.

hpyhnt 1000

Yes, EPCOT is meant to inspire. I think the message they are trying to convay with illumiNations IS inspiring, but I don't think they do a very good job telling the story.

I'm not after more fireworks (that's wishes) or Characters (that's Fantasmic). What I am after is a show that tells a story well and inspires people. I don't think IllumiNations does either of those two things. In fact I would go so far as to say that the globe with its fuzzy pictures is a waste of space.

How else could you accomplish this? The only thing I can think of is to add narration, but I think that with the current format of the show, adding narration would ruin the flow and beauty of it. After all, if you don't understand the meaning of the show by the end of "We Go On", then I don't really think some added narration will help.

As it is now, it is possible to follow the story, or at least grasp the concept somewhat; you just have to watch and maybe think a little bit. (Oh wait, people don't like to have to think at theme parks, do they? :brick:)

BTW - I do agree that it would be nice to see some new technology for the globe. But I do like the concept of the globe in the show.

kimmychad

...who's not all that impressed with it?

I dunno, granted - the last time I saw it was in 2004 but it's just 'meh' for me. Fantasmic, Wishes, & Spectro are WAYYYY better IMHO. I'm going to be checking it out again in December because I'm going with a Disney-Virgin but...:shrug:

Discuss. Flame away :lookaroun

no flaming from me i don't care for it either, i just don't think you can see everything that well.

NewfieFan

Wow, I didn't know there were so many opinions (either way) about ROE - it's been interesting to read everybody's take on the show! If you want my opinion... I like it but I also like Wishes, Spectromagic, etc., I like it all - it's all Disney to me. But then again I don't get out much... so at this point someone could march down the street with a sparkler and glow stick and I would be impressed!:lol:

Spike-in-Berlin

It's alright, but I prefer Wishes. I am not a fan of Spectromagic tho...I miss the Main Street Electrical parade.

Then you have to go to Disneyland Paris I believe (or fear?). The old MSEP went to Europe and is used in Paris but not EVERY DAY. It is normally only shown during summer season and on some special occasions during the rest of the year. When I was there I didn't see it and actually I am not planning to go there again in the next years, especially not after I saw the REAL picture again last summer.

CThaddeus

Then you have to go to Disneyland Paris I believe (or fear?). The old MSEP went to Europe and is used in Paris but not EVERY DAY. It is normally only shown during summer season and on some special occasions during the rest of the year. When I was there I didn't see it and actually I am not planning to go there again in the next years, especially not after I saw the REAL picture again last summer.

Or you could go to California Adventure where it plays every night during the summer...

Ilovewishes

I'm not a fan at all. I really do prefer just about every other show and parade at Disney over this one. I watched the original and was blown away, I find the new fangled one...a bit boring!

I love the music, the fireworks are okay (Wishes are better!) and I love the voice at the beginning. I didn't realise there was a story to the show and I've just read the bit about it on here and whilst it makes a little bit more sense, I don't think the story is conveyed very well at all!

With Wishes, I always go home believing that wishes really can come true! With ROE, I just think "Nice music. Where to next?"

I just think there is to much focus on what is, IMO, a very boring globe that I can't see that well anyway!

EPCOT Explorer

That's getting a refurb soon so there will be nothing to gripe about oin the near future.

MickeyspalJim

...who's not all that impressed with it?

I dunno, granted - the last time I saw it was in 2004 but it's just 'meh' for me. Fantasmic, Wishes, & Spectro are WAYYYY better IMHO. I'm going to be checking it out again in December because I'm going with a Disney-Virgin but...:shrug:
The last time I stayed at EPCOT to see illuminations, I too had that feeling. And don't get Me wrong. I went to the park late, just to get there in time for the show and was not thrilled. May have had a bad spot to watch it. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

redkoala245

How could you not like Illuminations. :( It is Epcot's only firework show and it ends your magical day. I always go every year that I visit.
Why is it getting a refurbishment?

WDW Monorail

How could you not like Illuminations. :( It is Epcot's only firework show and it ends your magical day. I always go every year that I visit.
Why is it getting a refurbishment?

New LED panels will be installed on the Earth Globe. Some were tested a couple of weeks ago.
:wave:

RoE has a special place in my heart. :)

Unfortunately, most people do not understand the concept of the show. It is first and foremost a story...told using water, light, video and fireworks. The meaning of the show is so powerful. Yet, people do not comprehend it because they need the meaning to be showed in their face as it is in Wishes.
This is the direction in which the entire park is moving, more in your face, less wonder and imagine. And I therefore think that RoE will be the last great pyro show to be presented at EPCOT. Its successors will be meaningless and unimaginative.

AEfx

You are by far not the only one.

I haven't sat through it in many years, waste of time for me and I really dislike that it is so difficult (if not impossible) to actually find a viewing area that isn't obstructed in some way.

I'll take Wishes and Fantasmic over and over any night, but when Illuminations starts I know it's time to head out to the car. :)

AEfx

EpcotServo

Wishes is for my heart. IllumiNations is for my brain.

And Fantasmic is my colon!

Anyways, Reflections of Earth is the only show on earth that can transcend lights in the sky to a moving story about humanity and the basic oneness we all share on planet earth.

And I started out with a colon joke!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom