Illuminations...am I the only one?

Miss Bell

I will never be done with Illuminations--it is truly what made me a Disney fanatic. My husband and daughter and I went the summer she was 7, right before Illuminations opened. We had a good time. The two of them were totally hooked into the the whole Disney thing, right from the start, whereas to me, it was fun, but not life-altering.

So happens, a few months later, my school paid for me to go the National Middle School Teachers Convention in Orlando. While there with my friends, we went to Epcot, sawTapestry of Nations and Illuminations for the first time--all I could think was how can I be here without my family? They have to see this. We went back the following summer, and have gone every year since (sometimes more than once a year.)

I have become one of those radical Disney nuts, and I owe it all to Illuminations. I will be very sad when they change it, but I hope that they will come up with something worthy to take its place.

Phonedave

Standing room, but at least it's a spot. I've also gotten spot for wishes on Tomorrowland bridge, just before they started.

I watched I:ROE to the very end, then booked it over to MK and got a spot in the hub to watch the 10:00 PM Wishes. :)

I have had good spots for both I:RoE and Wishes 10-15 minutes before the shows start. But I am also 6' 4" - so your milage may vary.

-dave

Phonedave

I thought it was just Morocco that didn't have lights due to it being a copy of an important religious building.

What other country doesn't have lights?

Thats the first time I heard that reason. I was allways told it was just because it costs a bunch. But of course I could be wrong.

-dave

tirian

Thats the first time I heard that reason. I was allways told it was just because it costs a bunch. But of course I could be wrong.

-dave

Technically, you're not supposed to take pictures in the fez house anymore, either. A Morocco CM told me that it's a prayer room, but nobody actually enforces the rule. (This came up in a conversation; he wasn't stopping me.)

vwayfan123

I will never be done with Illuminations--it is truly what made me a Disney fanatic. My husband and daughter and I went the summer she was 7, right before Illuminations opened. We had a good time. The two of them were totally hooked into the the whole Disney thing, right from the start, whereas to me, it was fun, but not life-altering.

So happens, a few months later, my school paid for me to go the National Middle School Teachers Convention in Orlando. While there with my friends, we went to Epcot, sawTapestry of Nations and Illuminations for the first time--all I could think was how can I be here without my family? They have to see this. We went back the following summer, and have gone every year since (sometimes more than once a year.)

I have become one of those radical Disney nuts, and I owe it all to Illuminations. I will be very sad when they change it, but I hope that they will come up with something worthy to take its place.

hope you got too see atleast the holiday illuminations, if not the new years illuminations. AMAZING

lilclerk

Illuminations is my favorite as well for all the reasons listed, but don't feel bad. I'm not really fond of Fantasmic
:lookaroun

Ilovewishes

I remember watching it about 10 years ago when I was 14 and I was blown away by the lasers and the lights and the music etc (I think this was pre-floating globe!).

We went to see it again a couple of years ago and I was so disappointed! The music and the lasers are fab and I love the talking bit at the beginning, especially when he blows the lights out, but the globe...I find it a bit boring. And I have tried to enjoy it since then. I've even seen it a further three times since then and it was better once I had lowered my expectations...alot.

I don't know. Maybe I just prefer the spectacle and atmosphere of Wishes and Fantasmic:shrug:

Buried20KLeague

Add me to the group that just isn't into the globe. It drives me crazy, actually. I find myself spending the whole thing trying to make out what the heck is playing on there. I don't understand why they don't have updated video tech on the globe... And maybe that's part of what is coming with the reported globe refurb. I can only hope.

Other than that, I love that show. The music is great, the finale is great (even better in the holidays), the lazers are great, etc...

But straining to figure out what the fuzzy images on the globe are really frustrates me each time.

RiversideBunny

Maybe they could replace the globe with a float featuring Disney characters in international dress, or saluting the nations of the world, or something.

Currently there's no Mickey, no Donald, etc.
Yes, Virginia, there is a Mickey Mouse at EPCOT.

Currently the Illuminations ROE show looks like some junior high kids playing with big laser pointers and a rusty globe. Something's missing.

IMHO
:)

EPCOT Explorer

*sigh*

EPCOT is meant to inspire.Are guests really insipid enough to want more excitement in a FIREWORK show?Look at its message.Where else in the world can you find a show that relates the human chronicle through music,lights and fire?

Is there any appreciation for the arts or at least creativity anymore?

2000th Post. Appropriate that IllumiNations was once IllumiNations 2000:Reflections of Earth.

Buried20KLeague

I for one don't need character additions.

And I do agree with the idea that the show is very impressive.

I just want better video. MUCH better video. It can't be that hard.

Grim Grinner

Illuminations will always have a special place in my heart. During the first night of our honeymoon (2000), my wife and decided to embark to Epcot first over the Magic Kingdom.

I wanted to show her horizons, which sadly had closed a short time before-but was still standing.

The Millennium parade, capped by Illuminations was the most magical part of a surreal night.

Whenever we hear that music, tears begin to well up.

My favorite part in in the finale when the sky lights up and it looks like daylight for a few precious seconds. It feels like magic.

84 days and counting...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom