Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

tl77

IF an announcement is made next year, a lot of elements seem to be in place for it. D23 Expo, Star Wars Celebration, etc. Let's hope they finally take advantage of what D23 could be, and announce what the plans are already. If SWL is coming to both DL and DHS, next year for an announcement could also work because of Disneyland's 60th next year. Lots of timing opportunities. But we've seen them pass many up before.

I think WDW1974 has posted more than once that he doesn't expect anything until 2019 and I've always thought it would make sense too. Announce it in 2015, construction starts in 2016 and opens in 2019. Wouldn't that be a nice 30th birthday gift to DHS ... And a timeframe like that could cover the 6-7 years it takes WDW to do anything. And that way Avatarland has a year or two but the buzz should then be on SW. Man, how it SHOULD be.

Of course they could always decide to build a boutique park with attached boutique resort and charge even more obscenely than they do.

Anyway ...

They're also going to be releasing all of these new movies during the next 6-7 years as well, and assuming the movies are well received there's really no reason for them to rush into building anything new anytime soon. They can easily slip new movie scenes into Star Tours in the meantime, and have plenty of parties and Star Wars weekends and keep the fans focus on the films while they get around to builds stuff for the parks

Thessair

Terribly misleading title of that article. I usually like io9, with the exception of Mark Strauss, but they really bought into the hype train on this one. Heck, the meat of the piece even states that:

io9 said:
According to Entertainment Weekly Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed to investors that "[Disney's] also developing ideas and designs for a far greater Star Wars presence in our parks... We expect to provide details about this sometime next year." And when he was asked whether this would compare to Universal's Potter franchise he confirmed that it was going to be "is going to be just that."

That would seem to directly contradict the title.

Communicore

“We’re also developing ideas and designs for a far greater Star Wars presence in our parks,” Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger told investors on the company’s quarterly earnings call Tuesday. “We expect to provide details about this sometime next year."

Hmm. Next year, Bob? I wonder what your timing will be like? Oh, wait...

D23 Expo, August 14th-16th 2015, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California

While there may be an announcement on Star Wars in the parks sometime earlier in 2015, it probably won't be much more than identifying which park or parks it will go in, and then provide maybe one or two vague sketches. The real meat of the announcement will be had at the Imagineering Pavilion on the Expo exhibit floor on August 14th, 2015. That's where there will be models and sketches and mockups and Imagineers hovering around answering questions.

Or, the entire Star Wars announcement is purposefully delayed until D23 Expo next August. That would be the big bombshell announcement they lacked at the last D23 Expo in 2013.

Come see the Star Wars announcement inside!

mickey-mouse-welcome-d23-expo-anaheim-convention-center-520x245.jpeg

Has Socerer Mickey done this pose but instead of D23, it would be in front of the BAH? I dunno why but I find that funny. Maybe someone can photoshop one.

Mr. Moderate

I find it sad and frustrating that it has taken so long to even hear about any news of Star Wars being added to the parks and this should have been done long ago. What's even more disappointing for me is, that the slow rate Disney builds their rides, to spread the cost out over the years, this possible expansion will take years to finish and ground hasn't even been broken yet. Sad.

PhotoDave219

If anyone on this forum realistically expects anything Star Wars to be at Disney's Hollywood Studios before the 2019/2020 timeframe, you're clearly not paying attention to the recent company history.

That would be like expecting Disney to get a Panda for Animal Kingdom. (That rumor sailed a long time ago)

Cesar R M

If anyone on this forum realistically expects anything Star Wars to be at Disney's Hollywood Studios before the 2019/2020 timeframe, you're clearly not paying attention to the recent company history.

That would be like expecting Disney to get a Panda for Animal Kingdom. (That rumor sailed a long time ago)
We should stage a protest.. pitchforks and all.. WE WENT THAT PANDA!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom