Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

Brewmaster

Just making sure. Because it's a huge jump to go from Iger saying "we're expanding Star Wars in the parks" (which is something he has been saying since the purchase of Lucasfilm) to Disney has plans for a Star Wars-themed park which will likely be announced soon.

But knowing how the internet works, I fully expect someone to make that gigantic leap. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something that filled in the gap.
image.jpg

Magenta Panther

Got this from Variety:

When asked if Disney was looking to broker new licensing deals with other franchise owners for attractions the way it did with James Cameron’s “Avatar,” Iger dismissed the notion, citing properties owned by Marvel, Pixar and Lucasfilm,

“We don’t have to license from third parties,” he said. “We own them all.”

*snort* Yeah, you won't make that mistake again, will you, Bobby?

Maybe...just maybe...the above comment means that Iger's buying spree is at an end. Which is a good thing, although I wish he'd stopped sooner. MUCH sooner.

In that article, he also talks about his personal tiki gods - namely, "brands" and "franchises" - and makes remarks about how new attractions for the parks need to be based on those brands and franchises. So I guess rides based on brand new ideas, as per the Haunted Mansion and Pirates, are on the way out, huh?

When is this dookie head retiring again?

Unplugged

Ranch dressing is pulling everyone's chain. There is absolutely no truth to a Star Wars themed value hotel and neal adams has no involvement with any Star Wars related projects much less theme park attraction concept art

Then what the heck am I supposed to do with these DVC points for the Dagobah swamp rooms I just bought? A real bargain too! Some guy in the DHS parking lot with a white beard and a brown hooded robe asked if I knew of Disney's best kept secret then waved his hand as his pen floated over to me. After that, I only remember his voice in my head as I drove off "Use the points, Luke".

FigmentJedi

Disney has done more with the two I cited. As Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar have shown, a good long-running business relationship seems to be the first step.
Disney's been dealing with Nintendo since Walt was alive.
Nintendo started off as a playing card company in 1889. In the 1960s, they cut a deal with Disney to produce licensed card decks and board games with the Disney characters and the results boosted Nintendo's sales significantly.
Disney_2.jpg

When Nintendo got into video games and made the Game and Watches, the only outside licenses that ever got produced were Mickey and Snoopy.
mickeymousegw2.png

mickey-and-donald-game-and-watch-640x480.jpg

There have been numerous Japanese developers making Disney games like Capcom, Square, and Sega and indeed, even Nintendo got into the act on occasion (image example's technically a Rare game, but this was back when Nintendo owned them). There's been quite a few Nintendo-exclusives over the years and even the original Epic Mickey's Japanese localization was published by Nintendo themselves, supposedly even involving some camera tweaks.
1252236114-00.jpg

On the other hand, there was that terrible Nintendo related thing Disney themselves made back in the 90s.
best-worst-videogame-movies-01-420-75.jpg

FigmentJedi

Also, consider the following: A short little guy in red with a big nose, white gloves and large shoes that speaks in a high pitched voice that is the face of the company and one of the most recognized figures of their medium that was created because of a copyright dispute that terminated plans to use another character.

That is a run-on sentence that describes both Mario and Mickey Mouse. Only reason Mario exists is because Nintendo wanted Donkey Kong to be a Popeye game but couldn't secure the rights. Oswald and Mickey all over again.

Matt_Black

Disney's been dealing with Nintendo since Walt was alive.
Nintendo started off as a playing card company in 1889. In the 1960s, they cut a deal with Disney to produce licensed card decks and board games with the Disney characters and the results boosted Nintendo's sales significantly.
Disney_2.jpg

When Nintendo got into video games and made the Game and Watches, the only outside licenses that ever got produced were Mickey and Snoopy.
mickeymousegw2.png

mickey-and-donald-game-and-watch-640x480.jpg

There have been numerous Japanese developers making Disney games like Capcom, Square, and Sega and indeed, even Nintendo got into the act on occasion (image example's technically a Rare game, but this was back when Nintendo owned them). There's been quite a few Nintendo-exclusives over the years and even the original Epic Mickey's Japanese localization was published by Nintendo themselves, supposedly even involving some camera tweaks.
1252236114-00.jpg

On the other hand, there was that terrible Nintendo related thing Disney themselves made back in the 90s.
best-worst-videogame-movies-01-420-75.jpg

Huh. Didn't know that. I think Capcom's work with Disney tends to shine a bit brighter. Ducktales for the NES, anyone? And that doesn't even begin to take into account the Marvel/ Capcom games....

Kuzcotopia

Attitudes in Burbank began to change after the success of WWOHP and definitely changed after the success of Carsland. Both projects were home runs financially. Now, many are convinced that the roadmap to theme park success has been made clear; a well-themed land based on a popular IP. Financially, it's no where near the cost of an entire theme park and has been shown to be capable of creating the kind of buzz associated with any major movie sequel release. In other words, a low-risk investment.

There really are plans for a Star Wars Land at DHS. Not out of the kindness of corporate Disney's heart but because they believe it will be a huge financial winner.

Absolutely this. Well said.

The New Fantasyland was built out of properties that were anywhere from 20-75 years old.

Both Avatarland and Star Wars Land are being built by two franchises putting out what might be the most (pop) culturally significant trilogies of the next decade.

When these lands open, the iron will be red hot. Too early to say if it's a grand slam, but Real investment into these two lands would be some smart forward thinking on Disney's part.

twebber55

The CEO has been saying something significant was coming for a long time. I don't know why everyone decided to make a big deal out of it all the sudden. Maybe his wording was a little stronger this time? But really, these comments are nothing new from Iger.
the part for me that was interesting (and different) was when he said these announcements will be made next year...at least he gave somewhat of a time frame this time but other than that i agree

Kamikaze

the part for me that was interesting (and different) was when he said these announcements will be made next year...at least he gave somewhat of a time frame this time but other than that i agree

I would figure the announcement has to be at the first Star Wars Weekend of next year.
Else what are you saving it for? D23? I suppose its possible but thats a long way away. So is SWW, really, but D23 is literally a year from next week.

twebber55

I would figure the announcement has to be at the first Star Wars Weekend of next year.
Else what are you saving it for? D23? I suppose its possible but thats a long way away. So is SWW, really, but D23 is literally a year from next week.
good points
got to be either SWW or D23

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom