Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

Thessair

This has probably be mentioned a million times before, but I'm surprised one of the bean counters somewhere hasn't had the bright idea to make SWW a hard ticket event.

Mawg

As I am skeptical myself. All I'm doing is posting things I have heard from a trusted source, I have repeatedly posted to take the things I write with a grain of salt. I cannot verify anything, I just choose to write what I have heard without insulting readers here by teasing or being cryptic. If what I'm posting turns out to be true great, I have a good source, if not this is a rumors page.

Where did I say the stuff i posted was happening this year?

I hope you did not take offence to my post that you are fattening

flyerjab

If the first domestic presence of Star Wars occurs in DL, what does that mean for DHS? Does anyone think that Star Wars expansions could happen at DL and WDW simultaneously? Or will WDW have to wait for the Avatar expansion and other additions at DAK be completed before anything happens at DHS.

If we look at how WDW is being changed, NFL expansion (with other small things still happening), then DTD started, and now DAK - all at Disney's snail-like construction pace. Maybe Star Wars will happen at DHS, but like Spirit said, nothing imminent. TWDC might make major announcements next year, but nothing might happen in WDW until 2016/2017, and that would only be when they break ground.

twebber55

If the first domestic presence of Star Wars occurs in DL, what does that mean for DHS? Does anyone think that Star Wars expansions could happen at DL and WDW simultaneously? Or will WDW have to wait for the Avatar expansion and other additions at DAK be completed before anything happens at DHS.

If we look at how WDW is being changed, NFL expansion (with other small things still happening), then DTD started, and now DAK - all at Disney's snail-like construction pace. Maybe Star Wars will happen at DHS, but like Spirit said, nothing imminent. TWDC might make major announcements next year, but nothing might happen in WDW until 2016/2017, and that would only be when they break ground.
im still guessing 2019

odmichael

Disneyland is a much stronger park than Hollywood Studios. There could definitely be construction going on simultaneously. But I think Hollywood Studios would get its own whole world while Disneyland may get one new ride or something.

tl77

So would a Star Wars hotel have its own monorail/transportation system into the Star Wars area of the park like the Hogwarts Express? because there are a couple of areas near DHS where they could build hotels, just west of World Drive and just south of Osceola Parkway

Marlo

So do we even know if this is happening at WDW or DL or both? From what I can tell and I very well may be missing something but it is possible it could only happen at one or the other not both....

lebeau

So do we even know if this is happening at WDW or DL or both? From what I can tell and I very well may be missing something but it is possible it could only happen at one or the other not both....

What we know is that Iger has stated something is coming some day. Anyone who knows more than that isn't saying anything. Anyone who says anything more than that is speculating.

tl77

This is the really vague quote from the OP

"There is a fair amount of development going on at Disney Imagineering right now to expand the Star Wars presence in California and in Orlando, and then eventually in other parks around the world," Iger told Bloomberg's Jon Erlichman. "It's probably likely that Star Wars will be in more than just our two domestic parks."

ChrisM

I have it on good authority that the Value Star Wars Resort will be themed after the famous Death Star Cell Block 1138, complete with metal shelves for beds and random visits by the IT-O Interrogator droid. Watch out who you open your door for!

Oh, and I have a ranch tooth. "Raaaaaaaanch!"

ABQ

This is the really vague quote from the OP

"There is a fair amount of development going on at Disney Imagineering right now to expand the Star Wars presence in California and in Orlando, and then eventually in other parks around the world," Iger told Bloomberg's Jon Erlichman. "It's probably likely that Star Wars will be in more than just our two domestic parks."
A wonderfully vague statement like that allows Iger to do absolutely nothing within DL and WDW and still remain truthful, as Star Wars already has a presence in each domestic park.

jt04

Absolutely this. Well said.

The New Fantasyland was built out of properties that were anywhere from 20-75 years old.

Both Avatarland and Star Wars Land are being built by two franchises putting out what might be the most (pop) culturally significant trilogies of the next decade.

When these lands open, the iron will be red hot. Too early to say if it's a grand slam, but Real investment into these two lands would be some smart forward thinking on Disney's part.

Hey, everyone is starting to sound like me. Even Bob Iger! :)

Kman101

IF an announcement is made next year, a lot of elements seem to be in place for it. D23 Expo, Star Wars Celebration, etc. Let's hope they finally take advantage of what D23 could be, and announce what the plans are already. If SWL is coming to both DL and DHS, next year for an announcement could also work because of Disneyland's 60th next year. Lots of timing opportunities. But we've seen them pass many up before.

I think WDW1974 has posted more than once that he doesn't expect anything until 2019 and I've always thought it would make sense too. Announce it in 2015, construction starts in 2016 and opens in 2019. Wouldn't that be a nice 30th birthday gift to DHS ... And a timeframe like that could cover the 6-7 years it takes WDW to do anything. And that way Avatarland has a year or two but the buzz should then be on SW. Man, how it SHOULD be.

Of course they could always decide to build a boutique park with attached boutique resort and charge even more obscenely than they do.

Anyway ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom