If you hate the hat at DHS, now is the time to say something.

WDW-Crazy

I agree with a majority of you. The hat is beautiful, and if they could relocate it to maybe outside the front gates as a photo op would be wonderful! I mean, you don't walk down the real Hollywood Blvd in CA and see a gigantic hat there - lol.

DougK

my mind is blown at the number of people defending the hat, or saying they don't care whether it stays or goes. Really? It's a total affront to the theory and practice of themed design! Look at the pictures from pre-2001, with the gorgeous theater at the end of that wonderfully themed hollywood boulevard. Everything scaled perfectly, with wonderful sightlines. It was so atmospheric! And look at it now! How does it make sense to have a giant hat there? Not to mention that it also replaced the lawn in front of the theater, leaving this huge expanse of pavement to radiate heat. I can understand how people might think the hat is neat and want it moved to somewhere more appropriate, but i just can't fathom how anyone used to the quality design of disney parks can abide its current placement.

Nicely said! ^

po1998

Two choices...

1. Move it to a different location

2. Take it to the graveyard where the wand remnants are.

Either would be okay with me.

Mansion Butler

I don't think the Earful Tower is a great icon for the park.

It's not, but properly scaled and themed aesthetics are far more important than having a good icon. Further, you don't have to destroy that design to create a better icon.

How does that reflect movies or Hollywood?
Because water towers were common on Hollywood studio lots. Think of where the Animaniacs lived.

WDWmazprty

picture.php

raven

Here's a picture of the entrance to Europa Park in Germany. Opened 1975.
SAG-Europa-Park_gangway.jpg

That park opened in 1975 but the sphere is a rollercoaster called Eurosat and it opened in 1989. Epcot opened in 1982.

http://rcdb.com/973.htm

Weird. This comment apparently did not pass moderation for some reason:

I also think that the hat is an eyesore.

I do like it, I just don’t like where it is.

Imagine something like that blocking the castle at MK. Doesn’t work.

How about a Hat in front of the Tree of Life? In front of the ball at Epcot? See how it just doesn’t work?

There was never a giant hat in the glory days of Hollywood, it doesn’t fit the theme–which should be a Cardinal sin in Disney’s playbook.

Again, I think that the hat is cool–in another place. I like the idea of it being outside the turnstyles as a “welcome icon”, makes perfect sense there.

First off you called SpaceShip Earth a "ball." Secondly the site is an official Disney website and some negative comments don't have to be posted.

disneydevil1

Okay being a former Castmember i guess i must school everyone on why the hat is there. Right before they built the hat new owners bought the original theater and since Disney was using it as an "icon" since it is the first thing you see when entering they were going to sue for royalties which they would of won. So in order to keep the attraction all Disney did was add the hat to block the line of sight which is smart. So no they cant get rid of the hat for legal reasons. That is a fact so just get over it.

tirian

Okay being a former Castmember i guess i must school everyone on why the hat is there. Right before they built the hat new owners bought the original theater and since Disney was using it as an "icon" since it is the first thing you see when entering they were going to sue for royalties which they would of won. So in order to keep the attraction all Disney did was add the hat to block the line of sight which is smart. So no they cant get rid of the hat for legal reasons. That is a fact so just get over it.

Except it isn't a fact. The theater was never an icon, and Disney still uses it in publications, as well as on the trash cans, without any disclaimers (like the Lucasfilm line on Star Tours pictures).

The hat was added for Walt's 100th birthday celebration, and kept for marketing purposes. That's the fact to get over.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
myth

http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html

TalkingHead

Except it isn't a fact. The theater was never an icon, and Disney still uses it in publications, as well as on the trash cans, without any disclaimers (like the Lucasfilm line on Star Tours pictures).

The hat was added for Walt's 100th birthday celebration, and kept for marketing purposes. That's the fact to get over.

But, you know, bombastic CM urban myths are so much more fun than the facts!

tirian

That park opened in 1975 but the sphere is a rollercoaster called Eurosat and it opened in 1989. Epcot opened in 1982.

Yep, SSE has been replicated in some form or another several times since Epcot made the geodesic sphere popular; and technically, SSE is still the only sphere, as Eurostat is a 3/4-sphere dome.

GO SSE! :)

jt04

Danger, don't feed the trolls after sunset.

:lol:

disneydevil1

Hmmm who to believe, Disney themselves or some random person on the internet. First off i said "icon" because it is the first thing you see when you enter the park, Earful Tower was the actual icon. So try again.

jt04

Good link!

I'd love to see the Animation sorcerer's hat added to the animation attraction entrance.

Also, an Imagineer told me the hat cannot be moved to the DHS entrance plaza because of Epcot sightlines. It's not an official reason, but it sounds plausible. :shrug:

It always appeared welded together to me and impossible to disassemble. Just a guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom