If you hate the hat at DHS, now is the time to say something.

Mansion Butler

The reason we were told, and what we were supposed to say to guests, was that the name change took place because Disney Hollywood Studio fits the vision of the park better. But what our managers told us the real reason why the name was changed was because of a dispute with MGM and Disney was going to face legal issues. This could be wrong
It wasn't so much a dispute as a temporary contract that wasn't renewed (and others can elaborate more). This isn't some secret knowledge, though.

Krack

Myth according to who? You and some person who created a website? It is not a myth when it COMES FROM DISNEY'S OWN MOUTH.

No, he's right - it's a myth.

Now ... I would like to point out that this is pretty solid evidence of what I've always claimed; some in Disney management give out misinformation to its front line employees (sinkhole causing the closure of Horizons) knowing it will trickle down to the Disneyphiles, in hopes that it will prevent some of the backlash from unpopular decisions.

disneydevil1

Now ... I would like to point out that this is pretty solid evidence of what I've always claimed; some in Disney management give out misinformation to its front line employees (sinkhole causing the closure of Horizons) knowing it will trickle down to the Disneyphiles, in hopes that it will prevent some of the backlash from unpopular decisions.

Proof please......

TalkingHead

Proof please......

If Disney built the Hat because they didn't have the rights to the image of the Chinese Theater, then:

1) Why is the Chinese Theater still standing in the park?

2) Why does it occasionally appear on merchandise?

Wouldn't either of those things be grounds for legal action on the part of the owner of the real Chinese Theater...IF your story was true?

Mansion Butler

I honestly don't think that's what happens, it's just that the levels of management front line cast works with (and a couple above that) don't have any more information than guests outside of the day-to-day for their specific area of work. I learn more about the very company I love and work for by the research people like WDW Magic posters do than by going to work.

But, when CMs hear something from their management who doesn't actually know much of anything on the subject (I'm talking about stuff like "this is where the new E-ticket is going!"), the front line CM assumes they do know because they're management. This is mostly true of new CMs and CPs. I use to believe everything I heard from full-time Cast Members and management for that very reason, before I realize they know a ton about where they work but not much more than me about the inner workings of the company.

But I don't think that's because they were trying to feed me happy stuff to relay to guests and folks like WDW Magic, mostly because not everything I've heard is positive. And also because rumors don't jive at all from manager to manager.

That said, I actually knew about the Fantasyland expansion before any news about it was out on places like this, but I just assumed it was another case of faint rumors becoming true stories among the cast. :lol: Not that I would have spilled the beans, anyway.

disneydevil1

If Disney built the Hat because they didn't have the rights to the image of the Chinese Theater, then:

1) Why is the Chinese Theater still standing in the park?

2) Why does it occasionally appear on merchandise?

Wouldn't either of those things be grounds for legal action on the part of the owner of the real Chinese Theater...IF your story was true?

1. The Chinese Theater is no longer a "icon" because of the blocked view so it is no longer associated with the park.

2. Occasionally appear on merchandise does not mean anything.

Please try harder and USE FACTS.

Mansion Butler

Proof please......
US architecture copyrights began in 1990. To be eligible for copyright, a building must have been built after December 1990 or planned prior to but built by 2002. Thus, the Chinese Theater is not eligible for copyright protection. So I'm not sure what ground the owners would have had to stand on in pursuit of royalties. Someone with more legal understanding could fill in from here.

That's not proof, but it's stronger evidence than an appeal to authority.

AEfx

1. The Chinese Theater is no longer a "icon" because of the blocked view so it is no longer associated with the park.

1. That just doesn't make any sense. It's still there, people walk up and look at every day. If it's the first thing or the 100th thing you see does not matter legally.

2. Completely wrong. You cannot sell merchandise with something you do not have the rights to use. What do you think if I started selling pins and t-shirts with Mickey Mouse on them. Disney owns the rights to them, so legally I cannot do so.

I'd encourage you to take your own advice and use FACTS like I am about to.

To put this all to bed, architecture *CAN* be copyrighted, but the Chinese Theater CANNOT. I direct you to the U.S. Copyright Office Website and this page :

Does copyright protect architecture?
Yes. Architectural works became subject to copyright protection on December 1, 1990. The copyright law defines “architectural work” as “the design of a building embodied in any tangible medium of expression, including a building, architectural plans, or drawings.” Copyright protection extends to any architectural work created on or after December 1, 1990. Also, any architectural works that were unconstructed and embodied in unpublished plans or drawings on that date and were constructed by December 31, 2002, are eligible for protection. Architectural designs embodied in buildings constructed prior to December 1, 1990, are not eligible for copyright protection.

The Chinese Theater was built in 1926. The replica at MGM was built (or at least opened to the public in) 1989.

It's not copyrightable, and both the construction of the original and the replica were completed before architectural designs are eligible for registry.

'nuff said.

AEfx

US architecture copyrights began in 1990. To be eligible for copyright, a building must have been built after December 1990 or planned prior to but built by 2002. Thus, the Chinese Theater is not eligible for copyright protection. So I'm not sure what ground the owners would have had to stand on in pursuit of royalties. Someone with more legal understanding could fill in from here.

That's not proof, but it's stronger evidence than an appeal to authority.

You beat me by three minutes, but it was only because I stopped to document it. ;)

Just teasing. :)

TalkingHead

Methinks you're just being stubborn, or else you're just out to lunch.

RSoxNo1

There are no copyright issues with the theater. The Hat was originally designed as a ride (the ears would have been Ferris Wheels). Park ops decided they didn't want it. But merchandise stepped in and said we want it as a pin shop. The design was meant to be the new logo for the park but it's placement was what is most questionable.

BrerFrog

There are no copyright issues with the theater. The Hat was originally designed as a ride (the ears would have been Ferris Wheels). Park ops decided they didn't want it. But merchandise stepped in and said we want it as a pin shop. The design was meant to be the new logo for the park but it's placement was what is most questionable.

Wait. They would put Ferris Wheels on the ears!? We would have a couple of wheels blocking the theater?

That is a joke, right?! Please. :cry:

RSoxNo1

Wait. They would put Ferris Wheels on the ears!? We would have a couple of wheels blocking the theater?

That is a joke, right?! Please. :cry:

The original concept seemed to have the hat closer to the entrance with the ferris wheels as the ears. The image can be seen in the Imagineering Field Guide to Hollywood Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom