If you hate the hat at DHS, now is the time to say something.

sublimesting

1. Architecture cannot be copyrighted. That's an Internet myth.

2. The Earful tower was the park's icon.

3. The theater is supposed to scream LA because that's where you're supposed to be.

4. Nothing needs to go in the hat's place. Check out this video of the opening ceremonies. That's what the Studios should look like—Hollywood's golden age. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBnbi6Mo38

I don't know I looked into it on wikipedia (I know I know) briefly and it looks like it can be copyrighted. Granted though Disney apparently used the actual blueprints from the original, so either they had permission or at least looked into this option. I don't think, though, that I could just make an amusement park and re-construct the castle or SSE for it.

I understand the theming of the theater and area is supposed to be old Hollywood BUT, I stilll like to walk in and feel like I'm at Disney.

I am also aware that earfell tower was the icon but for all intents and purposes the icon of the parks seems to be what people see as they walk in and by default that would have been the Chinese Theater. This may have caused a marketing problem by featuring the Chinese Theater on merchandise.:shrug:

imagineer boy

I understand the theming of the theater and area is supposed to be old Hollywood BUT, I stilll like to walk in and feel like I'm at Disney.

So you don't have a problem with all the iconic buildings Disney copied for the pavillions of World Showcase?

I am also aware that earfell tower was the icon but for all intents and purposes the icon of the parks seems to be what people see as they walk in and by default that would have been the Chinese Theater. This may have caused a marketing problem by featuring the Chinese Theater on merchandise.:shrug:

I think they should move the Earful tower as well. The entrance to the park is the only feasible place where people can see it and acnolege it as the icon.

Snapper Bean

I don't think its a matter of copyrighting or royalties or anything like that, I just don't think that Disney liked that the central icon of the park was essentially a non-Disney icon. Earful tower never caught on because of location and size and thus they wanted to Disney up the central hub. Anyway, I am generally pro-hat but understand the other position as well.

If I had to choose to get rid of the hat or Sounds Dangerous, I'd get rid of Sounds Dangerous.....

Slowjack

I don't know I looked into it on wikipedia (I know I know) briefly and it looks like it can be copyrighted. Granted though Disney apparently used the actual blueprints from the original, so either they had permission or at least looked into this option. I don't think, though, that I could just make an amusement park and re-construct the castle or SSE for it.
This is sort of irrelevant to the main discussion here, but neither the castle nor Spaceship Earth is really an original design. Both Snow White and Cindy's castle are essentially Neuschwanstein--I have a picture I took there from an angle that really shows the connection off. And SSE is a geodesic sphere, from the designs of Buckminster Fuller. It's the largest structure of its kind, I think, but by no means unique.
If you prefer that a park scream "Disney!" from the moment you walk in the door, that's your choice, although I should point out that you already have a park you can experience that with--the Magic Kingdom. But if they want a park that simply screams "Disney!" they should gut the Hollywood facades and build another Fantasyland in its place. Instead, they've gone up to a beautiful painting and drawn a mustache on it.

Tomi-Rocket

I have always loved the hat. I like how it fits in seemlessly with the other three park icons. I don't mind it being moved and I agree that I don't care for the shop underneath it. It should have something more meaningful/representative of the park. But I would hate to see it destroyed. I was not aware that it blocked the view of the theatre but I get that people would like that aesthetic restored. I think that would be really cool to have that back, sort of an homage to when you first walk into MK. But I just hope they keep the hat but move it. :)

janoimagine

I commented ... I really prefer the original sight lines of the park. The theater was a great view when it was unobstructed.

Atomicmickey

Weird. This comment apparently did not pass moderation for some reason:

I also think that the hat is an eyesore.

I do like it, I just don’t like where it is.

Imagine something like that blocking the castle at MK. Doesn’t work.

How about a Hat in front of the Tree of Life? In front of the ball at Epcot? See how it just doesn’t work?

There was never a giant hat in the glory days of Hollywood, it doesn’t fit the theme–which should be a Cardinal sin in Disney’s playbook.

Again, I think that the hat is cool–in another place. I like the idea of it being outside the turnstyles as a “welcome icon”, makes perfect sense there.

Tom

Beta Return
Has anyone else seen the unused concept design with the hat out in front of DHS in the Imagineering Field Guide to DHS? That looked really cool adding a film reel ferris wheel on each side of the hat for mouse ears and a movie exhibit housed inside the hat. I'd be all for bringing this concept to life and restoring the view of Grauman's theater. Double win - add a ride, restore the view.

There's a photo of the concept art inside the front cover of the Imagineering Field Guide to DHS. It definitely looked like a cool idea. It's hard to imagine them really putting a ride of any sorts outside the park gate, but if they really hate to throw it away, they could put it somewhere else during the future DHS re-imagining.

1. Architecture cannot be copyrighted. That's an Internet myth.

2. The Earful tower was the park's icon.

3. The theater is supposed to scream LA because that's where you're supposed to be.

4. Nothing needs to go in the hat's place. Check out this video of the opening ceremonies. That's what the Studios should look like—Hollywood's golden age. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBnbi6Mo38

Amen!

SeaBase86

Along with the removal of the hat I asked for a partner's statue. Similar to the one going to DCA. I think each park should have a partner's statue.

tirian

I have always loved the hat. I like how it fits in seemlessly with the other three park icons. I don't mind it being moved and I agree that I don't care for the shop underneath it. It should have something more meaningful/representative of the park. But I would hate to see it destroyed. I was not aware that it blocked the view of the theatre but I get that people would like that aesthetic restored. I think that would be really cool to have that back, sort of an homage to when you first walk into MK. But I just hope they keep the hat but move it. :)

I understand what you mean; I don't hate the hat like I truly despised the wand. I think the hat would look great just outside the park's entrance. It doesn't function as a weenie or a placemarker right now, because even if you're trying to get to the middle of the theme park, the twisting paths prevent you from walking straight to the hat.

sublimesting

This is sort of irrelevant to the main discussion here, but neither the castle nor Spaceship Earth is really an original design. Both Snow White and Cindy's castle are essentially Neuschwanstein--I have a picture I took there from an angle that really shows the connection off. And SSE is a geodesic sphere, from the designs of Buckminster Fuller. It's the largest structure of its kind, I think, but by no means unique.

If you prefer that a park scream "Disney!" from the moment you walk in the door, that's your choice, although I should point out that you already have a park you can experience that with--the Magic Kingdom. But if they want a park that simply screams "Disney!" they should gut the Hollywood facades and build another Fantasyland in its place. Instead, they've gone up to a beautiful painting and drawn a mustache on it.

Not sure if you are saying my copyright discussion is irrelevant to the main discussion or not as I was referring to another poster but buildings that "are essentially" other buildings don't really violate any kind of copyright. However, EXACT duplicates from the original blue prints, although, perhaps fine for a building may not be able to be reproduced by another company for merchandising. The Chinese Theater is owned by someone. An image on merchandising can not clarify whether said image is of the original theater or Disney's replica of it. So while you may be able to build a building that looks like it you can not market its image. The same way a daycare can't use Mickey Mouse's image.

And like I said, I prefer my park have a main icon that is solely Disney. Not a shared image. Yes, it's beautiful but it is NOT Disney. TOT would fit wonderfully there though.

MickeyCrazed

Long time reader - Rare poster here. Just wanted to let you know I joined the bandwagon and posted on the blog asking them to remove that hat! I am so tired of seeing it as the focal point. It just doesn't fit the theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom