If you hate the hat at DHS, now is the time to say something.

Krack

Haha, it appears that they wouldn't let my comment go through. I wrote (I don't remember the exact wording) ....

You mean the Chinese Theater is still there? I wouldn't know because I can't see it because somebody put that eyesore hat in the middle of the park and disrupted the site lines, ruined the atmosphere and hid the signature park attraction from view.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, how many anti-hat comments do you think it would take on the official blog before they actually took it to heart?

a) 50
b) 100
c) 1000
d) We're WDW folks, we can do what we want! We're going to just build a bigger hat that blocks out Tower of Terror as well!

I lean towards d...

It is nice to see a good 30+ anti-hat comments pop up there this morning. Mine got through, but I wonder how many they've "moderated" out?

jt04

Haha, it appears that they wouldn't let my comment go through. I wrote (I don't remember the exact wording) ....

You mean the Chinese Theater is still there? I wouldn't know because I can't see it because some fool put that eyesore hat in the middle of the park and disrupted the site lines, ruined the atmosphere and hid the signature park attraction from view.

Edited for accuracy. :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
The picture of the theater is stunning. How anyone can look at that and want the hat to stay is beyond me. And to the people who love the hat because "it's all youv'e ever known", you have no idea what you are missing.

Tear down the hat please. It is pathetic.

Exactly what I thought. I saw the photo and it brought back memories of my childhood days at MGM. As I mentioned in my "comment" I thought it was a shame to build the giant hat in front of the theater, which they painstakingly designed to exactly mimic the original. It literally made MGM "the hollywood that never was, but always will be."

Wow, JT. I actually agree with you 100% :lookaroun

Serious question: which MUST be removed first: millenium tarps or bigasshat?

Hat. The tarps don't bother me, because they aren't quite as obtrusive or destructive as the wand or hat.

Would Walt have said they are "weenie-blocking"?

:lol: Yes. Exactly!

You mean the Chinese Theater is still there? I wouldn't know because I can't see it because somebody put that eyesore hat in the middle of the park and disrupted the site lines, ruined the atmosphere and hid the signature park attraction from view.

Apparently mine made the cut:

"I fondly remember the view of the Chinese Theater down Hollywood Blvd from when I visited the studios as a kid. So much effort was put into creating an exact replica of the original that it’s a shame they built a giant hat in front of it. It’s not quite the “Hollywood that always was…” anymore."

I accidentally typed "always" instead of "never". Oops.

Oddysey

The hat does not really enhance or detract from my overall Disney experience. Perhaps it could have been placed in a different location in the park so that it did not block the theatre. However, it is already there and I am indifferent on whether it moves or stays. If leaving the hat frees up more money in order to bring more attractions/shows that enhance my experience then l say leave it where it is.

Tom

Beta Return
So there is another Tom from IN!

A couple of shots illustrating the Theatre's beauty. I got one in August of the entire Theatre, but I don't have it online yet...

Clear View of Grauman's Chinese Theater! by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

The Sorcerer v. The Apprentice by Tom Bricker (WDWFigment), on Flickr

Those are amazing, as always! Get any of the real one out west this week?

Yup, born and raised right here in Indy - well, west suburb (Avon). :wave:

sublimesting

I thought that Disney was not allowed to have the Chinese theater as a central weenie because it is actually a building in real life and they had to pay royalties or something. I think that's why they had to put the hat there. Now, if the hat goes I wonder if soething still has to go in it's place. I, for one was never enchanted with the theater, as beautiful as it may be. To me it doesn't scream Disney, it screams LA. Also the theater is too small, it doesn't catch one's eye.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I have to wonder if poor ol' Thomas Smith had any idea of the size of the can of worms he was opening up with that photo. :lol:

MKeeler

Has anyone else seen the unused concept design with the hat out in front of DHS in the Imagineering Field Guide to DHS? That looked really cool adding a film reel ferris wheel on each side of the hat for mouse ears and a movie exhibit housed inside the hat. I'd be all for bringing this concept to life and restoring the view of Grauman's theater. Double win - add a ride, restore the view.

tirian

I thought that Disney was not allowed to have the Chinese theater as a central weenie because it is actually a building in real life and they had to pay royalties or something. I think that's why they had to put the hat there. Now, if the hat goes I wonder if soething still has to go in it's place. I, for one was never enchanted with the theater, as beautiful as it may be. To me it doesn't scream Disney, it screams LA. Also the theater is too small, it doesn't catch one's eye.

1. Architecture cannot be copyrighted. That's an Internet myth.

2. The Earful tower was the park's icon.

3. The theater is supposed to scream LA because that's where you're supposed to be.

4. Nothing needs to go in the hat's place. Check out this video of the opening ceremonies. That's what the Studios should look like—Hollywood's golden age. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBnbi6Mo38

tirian

But the hat destroys such an amazing aesthetic that Imagineering created. Truly one of their best works. Ironic that they are spending multi-millions at DCA to create an environment the hat only destroys at DHS. The hat really should go.

JT, I wish this quote could be emblazoned on every Disney website online right now. Please post that on the Disney blog. Please. :wave:

jt04

JT, I wish this quote could be emblazoned on every Disney website online right now. Please post that on the Disney blog. Please. :wave:

Thank you! But please feel free to express this same sentiment if you like. Or anyone else. Can you imagine them adding a hat that blocked the view of the new Carthay Circle Theater they are building at DCA? No, me either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom