I sure hope SOMETHING is announced next weekend!

NewfieFan

That's a matter of opinion.:lookaroun
And a whole other topic for discussion.
(Discussed on another site for over 1000 posts.)

Ok, curiousity killed the cat... but what site are you talking about?

Btw, I met Lou in person after the first D23 anniversary party at MK. He seemed like a down-to-earth type person and I had no problem having a few mins. of small talk with him. I think his kids are around the same age as mine so maybe we had that in common!?! :shrug:

MissMorrow

So, I have a proposal for Disney.

With the economy as it is, it's unlikely Disney can even do anything cool anytime soon. As sad as that is, the silver lining is that this serves as a somewhat reasonable excuse for not doing something cool.

Because fans won't expect anything, and be fairly forgiving due to the 'economy' excuse, Disney can make not doing anything 'real' a legit strategy.

Thus, throw out a bunch of full-blown blue sky rumors. Australia, Beastly Kingdom, Star Wars land, Pixar land, new coasters, potential 5th gates. Stuff along the lines of Walt's original 'EPCOT' - never really close to reality, but interesting and ambitious enough to create buzz.

By the time the economy turns around, Disney along with its fan base will have a really solid and mature sense of what's popular as well as realistic.

And then we can spend hours looking back at that era with all the cool ideas because nobody was really anticipating anything real anyway (a la America and DisneySea).

This is exactly what I was going to say. Just throw a bunch of stuff at us and let us have fun talking about it, even if none of it comes to fruition.

If I had to pick one major announcement though, it would be an AK expansion.

Of all the rumors that have been posted on the forums, which one do you guys think will have the greatest chance of becoming true and announced at the D23 expo?

Captain Neo

Disney would have some gall to show up to their own press conference empty handed. One of the major highlights of any convention is going to the presentations and being surprised with exciting new announcements. Sure previewing already announced stuff is cool but lets be real people are paying $40 or whatever a ticket for the good stuff like new movie announcements, surprise apperances, and new theme park rides.

If they don't announce anything new ____*t is gonna hit the fan faster than you can say river country

WDWFREAK53

Disney would have some gall to show up to their own press conference empty handed. One of the major highlights of any convention is going to the presentations and being surprised with exciting new announcements. Sure previewing already announced stuff is cool but lets be real people are paying $40 or whatever a ticket for the good stuff like new movie announcements, surprise apperances, and new theme park rides.

If they don't announce anything new ____*t is gonna hit the fan faster than you can say river country

Absolutely correct...and you'd see a drop-off in attendance for the next one.

Kamikaze

The thing people always forget, though, is that a lot of stuff isn't 'officially' announced, yet we know about it. GF DVC, Fantasmic Refurb, and the new parade are three of those. They might announce them, and people here are going to go 'thats it?!?!' because its all been leaked. But those are actually three announcements.

MerlinTheGoat

Of all the rumors that have been posted on the forums, which one do you guys think will have the greatest chance of becoming true and announced at the D23 expo?

Well Lee has already basically told us what is going to be announced. But in the case of some strange miracle (or rather disaster) happening that caused them to cancel the other two, i'd say the Grand Floridian VC is the most likely. Simple due to the fact that they've already started construction on it. It's hardly even a leak anymore, it's a badly kept "secret" if you can even call it that.

Obviously the next biggest possibility is the Fantasmic refurb. Since the show isn't scheduled for a while starting in 2012. Largely depends on how much of a refurb it'll get. If it's taking a major place at D23 for an announcement, it makes me think it's considerably more than just a bit of a tune up and paint job here and there. An announcement at the event makes me think they intend to do a huge overhaul of the show itself, including different scenes and such.

NoChesterHester

The thing people always forget, though, is that a lot of stuff isn't 'officially' announced, yet we know about it. GF DVC, Fantasmic Refurb, and the new parade are three of those. They might announce them, and people here are going to go 'thats it?!?!' because its all been leaked. But those are actually three announcements.

Good point.

I would be very surprised to see them announce the Grand Floridian DVC. Bay Lake Tower isn't sold out yet right? Wouldn't that hurt their sales?

jrlbc06

Grand Floridian DVC will not be announced at D23.

They don't announce new projects until the previous is almost completely sold out. They practically denied the existence of Bay Lake Tower until it was already rising into the sky to help sales of (I believe) Saratoga and AKL.

Lee

Adventurer
Good point.

I would be very surprised to see them announce the Grand Floridian DVC. Bay Lake Tower isn't sold out yet right? Wouldn't that hurt their sales?

Almost but it would def hurt Akl-they have a ling way to go there.

Grand Floridian DVC will not be announced at D23.

They don't announce new projects until the previous is almost completely sold out. They practically denied the existence of Bay Lake Tower until it was already rising into the sky to help sales of (I believe) Saratoga and AKL.

All true. the GF DVC won't be announced at D23 for the reasons stated above. They have way too much inventory to move at the other locations to announce a new one.
We know about it, and no doubt it will be discussed by guests at the convention...but it won't be made official.

Captain Neo

We knew about Star Tours II and Fantasyland expansion beforehand but it was still very exciting to see them formally announce it and show off artwork and details.

As for the bolded...yeaaa I really wouldn't call those "exciting announcements" and it would probably be less embarassing if they don't mention them at all at D23. It has to be something of substance.

SeaCastle

All true. the GF DVC won't be announced at D23 for the reasons stated above. They have way too much inventory to move at the other locations to announce a new one.
We know about it, and no doubt it will be discussed by guests at the convention...but it won't be made official.

If there's so much inventory to move, why do they believe it's cost effective to build an entire new building full of DVC's in the first place?

djkidkaz

Original Poster

The problem with that thought though is it's a D23 convention which is all your die hard Disney fans and as the Disney company, you know that we already know about all that. This isn't a AP article for the masses. You need to give your dedicated base what they are looking for. There has to be a new ride announcement at the bare minimum or you are going to have MANY upset fans! Just think about the posts on this board if all we hear about is a new parade and a refurb?! They have to come with an attraction announcement. Period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom