I sure hope SOMETHING is announced next weekend!

ayefour corp.

Does anyone remember back in the day, ( boy do I sound old ) when things were done secretly, Signs went up, with speculation and mystery behind them, and people were left to guessing? Before the internet created places for everyone to talk together ( which is great, and bad all in one sometimes ) Before anyone could post exactly what permits a company has filed ( although I will openly admit, some of my good friends and I enjoy laughing at what people are quick to jump to assumption wise on what these permits are for )

I just wish sometimes for the simpler days. We built a mountain without hardly anyone knowing ya know.

Spike-in-Berlin

The only thing that can really combat/kill Potterland is Potter itself, when it runs its course. As a property, there isn't really anything they can fight it with. But Potter is done now, and interest will quickly fade away. We live in a very 'what have you done for me lately?' society, and if there aren't new Potter books, no one will book vacations just to see Potterland.

I am quite sure that WDI could build an E-ticket Superduperheadliner that would be able to outmatch WWoHP, but TDO would never pay for it. Firemountain would have been a real blast e.g. and that's a project that is more then 10 years old. Imagine what the could do today, imagine what they could build if Walt would still be there.

Spike-in-Berlin

This has been discussed to the point of insanity on these boards.
Potter is no more a fad than Star Wars. Both will continue to be popular for decades to come. Sure, the mania that surrounded both during their peak times of popularity is bound to fade a bit, but there will always be enough continuing content to ensure a very long lifespan.

Right. The kids that apply today for Jedi Academy in DHS were often born AFTER the last Star Wars episode ran at the movies and still Star Wars is popular to them. SW is not some mindless popcorn-movie franchise like Transformers etc. it's a part of modern pop culture, a modern epic. And the same will be (on a lower level) with HP.
Why should Harry Potter fade in the next years? There will be new children who read the books and watch the movies at home and they will want to see WWoHP too.

Communicore

I hope they announce the return of Universe Of Energy (complete with the 80's NBA on CBS style graphics) for 2012! And also the original Journey to Imagination and the second floor re-opening - and also the Communicore project in which they revert back! :animwink:

Kamikaze

I hope they announce the return of Universe Of Energy (complete with the 80's NBA on CBS style graphics) for 2012! And also the original Journey to Imagination and the second floor re-opening - and also the Communicore project in which they revert back! :animwink:

How about a

New UoE
New Imagination
Open the second floor (escalators and an elevator)
Leave Innoventions as it is, theres nothing particularly broken about it

There is no reason to go back to old retired/closed attractions. Especially dated ones like UoE. None of the information presented in 80s UoE would be relevant now. Imagination, yeah you might be able to convince me that the original was good enough. But I'd rather get a new version.

I'm not saying I want or expect any of these to be announced. Just that begging for the 'original' or 'old' versions of things doesn't make sense.

Scuttle

Agree. If all Disney shows at D23 is a parade, Fantasmic refurb, and/or new DVC property it will be the biggest fail and internet flamefest since the Battleship movie trailer hit the web last month. It will be an open season of mockery and derision.
Disney generates expectations with this D23 event, so it needs to deliver or suffer the consequences

I almost want it to happen to see the flamefest, but who know nothing shocks me at Disney. Announcement of the DVC, highly doubtful unless bay lake tower is full. Remember what they did when building bay lake tower. They waited until AK lodge DVC was full. Bay Lake Tower was practically done with construction when they announced it.

NX2I85

If the show ride throughs of all of the Carsland and New Fantasyland attractions will that be sufficient?

What type of announcement would avoid a massive failure in the eyes of the fans?

Works for me... but then again I'm not dropping $5K to fly across country and have my ears tickled for a weekend, so my bar is set considerably lower than others. In terms of theme park news, sharing details of Carsland and new Fantasyland attractions aren't exactly earth-shattering developments though.

I'm thinking D23 would be a chance for Disney to knock people's socks off with how they plan to dazzle us next, not tease out more details about what's already halfway built.

Having said all that, I personally won't be disappointed one way or the other. If Disney announces something cool I will be on here to celebrate and analyze it like the rest of you. If not, at least I haven't lost anything becuse I have nothing invested except my interest.

I almost want it to happen to see the flamefest, but who know nothing shocks me at Disney. Announcement of the DVC, highly doubtful unless bay lake tower is full. Remember what they did when building bay lake tower. They waited until AK lodge DVC was full. Bay Lake Tower was practically done with construction when they announced it.

I don't wish anything bad on DisneyCorp, but if there is a flamefest it will be of their own making. The whole D23 Convention concept smacks of elevated expectations that are hard/impossible to meet. When you go around honking your own horn you'd better be able to back it up, or else mockery is sure to follow. I don't want that for DisneyCorp.

As for the DVC properties, I wonder how close they are to selling out BLT. I got an email last week saying this was my "last chance" to buy into BLT and I should do so right now!!!! Ooops, I deleted it.

NoChesterHester

I will not be traveling to the Asian parks anytime soon. A focus on a yet to be built park in Shanghai, that I may never ever visit, would be a big disappointment to me if I were spending a couple thousand to be at the convention.

RSoxNo1

I will not be traveling to the Asian parks anytime soon. A focus on a yet to be built park in Shanghai, that I may never ever visit, would be a big disappointment to me if I were spending a couple thousand to be at the convention.

I agree - I really think the entire presentation should be focused on stateside offerings.

Kamikaze

It really should. They should have a foreign d23 and a stateside d23.

Hold on. They don't even have one a year, and now you want overseas ones as well?

Just don't listen to the announcements for the other parks you aren't interested in. Problem solved.

_Scar

I think it's better to have D23 be a global club, kind of symbolic in the way that Disney has fans from all over the world.

And I think one expo in one set location is okay every two years. There's only so much info they can announce lol

Jakester

having it every 2years also allows for something announced to be near completion or completed, then allow for brand new offerings to be open or near completion by the next one, and so on

Kamikaze

having it every 2years also allows for something announced to be near completion or completed, then allow for brand new offerings to be open or near completion by the next one, and so on

Well, thats true for Parks related things. Most of their other divisions move quicker, and could do every year.

RSoxNo1

It really should. They should have a foreign d23 and a stateside d23.

Hold on. They don't even have one a year, and now you want overseas ones as well?

Just don't listen to the announcements for the other parks you aren't interested in. Problem solved.

I wouldn't oppose to a similar convention at the overseas locations but it may be unnecessary unless their building a new resort (Shanghai) or a significant expansion (Hong Kong). What's more logical would be having a domestic parks and resorts presentation and an overseas parks and resorts presentation.

My personal issue with it is that 100% of the theme park fans in attendance at the D23 convention will have visited a stateside park. The majority of the audience will be Disneyland fans, but there will be a significant Disney World presence as well. Sure there will be fans of France, Tokyo, Hong Kong and soon Shanghai, but the two biggest fan communities at the convention will be for the two stateside resorts. As such, the presentation should focus on those two resorts. I would much rather see announcements of stateside additions or further details of already announced additions than see concepts for places that I will not likely see in my lifetime.

I don't think I'm alone in this thought - if the only thing we see at the Parks and Resorts presentation is concept art for Shanghai, there's going to be quite a few upset fans. The only Shanghai concepts I want to see are those that are almost coming stateside.

Kamikaze

I wouldn't oppose to a similar convention at the overseas locations but it may be unnecessary unless their building a new resort (Shanghai) or a significant expansion (Hong Kong). What's more logical would be having a domestic parks and resorts presentation and an overseas parks and resorts presentation.

My personal issue with it is that 100% of the theme park fans in attendance at the D23 convention will have visited a stateside park. The majority of the audience will be Disneyland fans, but there will be a significant Disney World presence as well. Sure there will be fans of France, Tokyo, Hong Kong and soon Shanghai, but the two biggest fan communities at the convention will be for the two stateside resorts. As such, the presentation should focus on those two resorts. I would much rather see announcements of stateside additions or further details of already announced additions than see concepts for places that I will not likely see in my lifetime.

I don't think I'm alone in this thought - if the only thing we see at the Parks and Resorts presentation is concept art for Shanghai, there's going to be quite a few upset fans. The only Shanghai concepts I want to see are those that are almost coming stateside.

Remember that D23 isn't only 'Parks and Resorts'. Its everything Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom