I sure hope SOMETHING is announced next weekend!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sorry Nick, Potter is a fad.

It wouldn't be if the books and movies were continuing, but the sad reality is that they aren't. It will continue to be successful for the next five or so years (more if there's an expansion), then the draw will diminish and it will just be another well-themed island at IOA.

What kind of evidence supports this kind of claim?

Lee

Adventurer
WOW. It seems $435 mil for what they're building is insane (especially knowing they're splitting the development costs). Disney should really be looking into imagineering and why their their costs are so incredibly inflated.
Very true. For what they are paying for FLE, Uni could have built almost two WWoHPs. The cost structure at WDI is insane, and may well eventually result in a complete rethinking of how they operate. It would be a good thing.

I hear what you're saying about MK's capacity issues, but TDO is very results based. They won't green light a project unless they can see on paper exactly how it's going to make its money back.
Hence why the FLE project was pushed through by Burbank, not TDO.

After all, how many days a year is MK really at capacity?
That isn't the point. Even on days when the park is merely busy, it becomes a capacity headache for dining, crowd flow, attraction wait times, etc. The days when the park reaches it's actual capacity are a real nightmare, but the merely busy days are bad enough to warrant the added room, tables and queues.

It wouldn't be if the books and movies were continuing, but the sad reality is that they aren't. It will continue to be successful for the next five or so years (more if there's an expansion), then the draw will diminish and it will just be another well-themed island at IOA.
No.
This has been discussed to the point of insanity on these boards.
Potter is no more a fad than Star Wars. Both will continue to be popular for decades to come. Sure, the mania that surrounded both during their peak times of popularity is bound to fade a bit, but there will always be enough continuing content to ensure a very long lifespan.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
We all really need to stop with these delusions that Potter is some fad that's going to fade into obscurity. I know this place is full of Disney folks, but it's time to enter the real world for a moment. Potter is not some fad like Silly Bandz or pogs, for those of you old enough to remember them.

I happen to think Forbidden Journey is easily the best dark ride in the Orlando area, possibly in the country. It's leaps and bounds ahead of anything at Disney right now. That doesn't mean I love Disney any less. They got beat on this one, pure and simple.

I agree. When Steamboat Willie was released, this Disney cartoon was considered a fad as well.

Cinderella and the other princesses revolve around one story yet they continue to be popular. Dumbo was released in the 50s and people still flock to the ride.
Harry Potter has become a classic. Of course, some of the excitement will abate but it doesn't mean that it's a fad.

Lee

Adventurer
Also, just for kicks, I'll let you in on a little secret. WDW attendance was down in '10. I am sure that was a disappointment.
As is registration for the D23 expo. I'm told lots of CM will be there to boost attnendance.

Nick_A said:
I happen to think Forbidden Journey is easily the best dark ride in the Orlando area, possibly in the country.
Possibly the world.
Only Indy and Spidey are any real competition.

Kamikaze

We all really need to stop with these delusions that Potter is some fad that's going to fade into obscurity. I know this place is full of Disney folks, but it's time to enter the real world for a moment. Potter is not some fad like Silly Bandz or pogs, for those of you old enough to remember them.

I happen to think Forbidden Journey is easily the best dark ride in the Orlando area, possibly in the country. It's leaps and bounds ahead of anything at Disney right now. That doesn't mean I love Disney any less. They got beat on this one, pure and simple.

Did I use the word 'fad'?

If they don't continue to push and introduce new material, it won't have any more shelf life. Its that simple. Like I said, people want things 'now'. They don't go back and relive things they've already seen like they used to. Rowling needs to write or approve new material, or the franchise is over.

Look at other properties that have been hot lately. When there is no new material, no one cares. Thats how it will be with Potter, and Rowling knows it. Thus, Pottermore.

Lee

Adventurer
Thats how it will be with Potter, and Rowling knows it. Thus, Pottermore.
Yes. Pottermore.
Through that venue and more, new Potter-verse material will continue to be available for years, much like how Lucas has kept the Star Wars verse alive.

Kamikaze

Yes. Pottermore.
Through that venue and more, new Potter-verse material will continue to be available for years, much like how Lucas has kept the Star Wars verse alive.

The big if, however, is that she allows others to use Harry. No one cares about any characters in other time frames. She based everything around him. If (when) she does, the franchise will be ok.

Lee

Adventurer
The big if, however, is that she allows others to use Harry. No one cares about any characters in other time frames. She based everything around him. If (when) she does, the franchise will be ok.
I don't entirely agree.
I think stories and such that take place in the Potter-verse, even without Harry will do a good job of continuing the brand and it's popularity. (Again, Star Wars is the template.)

Brian Noble

If they don't continue to push and introduce new material, it won't have any more shelf life.
How would you like to define "shelf life", and over what time horizon?

I ask because I'm ready to propose a wager.

Pete C

Did I use the word 'fad'?

If they don't continue to push and introduce new material, it won't have any more shelf life. Its that simple. Like I said, people want things 'now'. They don't go back and relive things they've already seen like they used to. Rowling needs to write or approve new material, or the franchise is over.

Look at other properties that have been hot lately. When there is no new material, no one cares. Thats how it will be with Potter, and Rowling knows it. Thus, Pottermore.

This logic does not pan out when looking at the history of successful theme parks. The Harry Potter story is over, but it doesn't need to have new material in order to attract people to it. People still go to Disney to ride old rides they have been on countless times, most of which are based on even older stories that were at one point popular. I don't see any difference with Potter. If I am missing something you tell me the difference. People will visit WWOHP because it is a top-notch attraction (from a theme and ride perspective) based on a great story and characters that people will fondly remember.

Disney is building a massive ride based on Cars in California as we all know. Would you say Cars is a classic work? I wouldn't. Are people going to be talking about Cars in 5 years? No. So, by your logic Disney shouldn't even bother building the thing since it will be old news and nobody will want to bother reliving the story. Fact is, if the ride is great then people will always want to re-visit to do it again and again.

tman2000

So, I have a proposal for Disney.

With the economy as it is, it's unlikely Disney can even do anything cool anytime soon. As sad as that is, the silver lining is that this serves as a somewhat reasonable excuse for not doing something cool.

Because fans won't expect anything, and be fairly forgiving due to the 'economy' excuse, Disney can make not doing anything 'real' a legit strategy.

Thus, throw out a bunch of full-blown blue sky rumors. Australia, Beastly Kingdom, Star Wars land, Pixar land, new coasters, potential 5th gates. Stuff along the lines of Walt's original 'EPCOT' - never really close to reality, but interesting and ambitious enough to create buzz.

By the time the economy turns around, Disney along with its fan base will have a really solid and mature sense of what's popular as well as realistic.

And then we can spend hours looking back at that era with all the cool ideas because nobody was really anticipating anything real anyway (a la America and DisneySea).

DocMcHulk

I don't entirely agree.
I think stories and such that take place in the Potter-verse, even without Harry will do a good job of continuing the brand and it's popularity. (Again, Star Wars is the template.)

I would love to see/read a "pre-potter" (yea, kinda like the Star Wars prequel) where we see the development of Voldemort and the initial resistance.

jt04

No way. Plans for the FLE were in place way before Legoland.
I'm afraid TDO doesn't see the need for a Potter swatter. Their numbers haven't diminished since Potter came about (of course we'll never really know what their numbers could've been without it).

I would wonder if they don't actually benefit from Potter in some ways. A family may spend one day less in the WDW parks but may either spend an extra day in a Disney hotel (or Potter may be the reason they've finally come to Orlando and Disney World). The same may even be said for Legoland. Families may even extend their Disney vacations to go to these other parks. It's a win for Disney and they haven't spent a dime.

I'd LOVE to see a Potter swatter because, IMO, a StarWars land is the only thing that would really make that huge of an impact (in a park that could desperately use the upgrade). I just don't see TDO feeling that the costs are justified though.

There are hundredsa of plans that have been Imagineered which can also be viewed as investments because they don't come cheap. The castle walls likely go back decades. So when a rival announces something it is easy for Disney to draw on those plans as a response. Naturally they would pick a concept that they would think would be most effective. After looking at construction pics of Legoland I have very little doubt the FLE is at least partly a response. They could have expanded the MK in many ways but choose the FLE concept we see today. I just don't see it as a coincidence. Rather smart business.

I also think that Flamingo Crossing may very well have been in response to investors looking to build a similar concept nearby, possibly the Splendid China site. Disney may have decided to get in front of them thereby taking the wind out of their sails. When they went away so did FC. Now this is pure conjecture on my part but I think this is how these decisions are made. And it would explain so much.

I still think Disney sees Legoland as a threat to MK attendence. Not a big threat but enough to cut into profit margins noticably. And after seeing pics from the almost completed park I think they are right. It looks pretty amazing. And probably even moreso for the target audience.

Possibly the world.
Only Indy and Spidey are any real competition.

And Disney may not want to stay in second place. Fingers crossed.

erasure fan1

I don't entirely agree.

Im not a real Harry Potter fan but I do live with one and are friends with a few. I could be wrong but it really doesnt seem like JK is the type of person to let the franchise go, like Lucas did with the EU for starwars. Again Im basing this mainly on the people I know and the few things Ive read.

RSoxNo1

On his recent appearance on the Season Pass podcast Jim Hill explained that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter all takes place on the day of the Tri-Wizard tournament. This has made expansion concepts somewhat difficult.

JustInTime

On his recent appearance on the Season Pass podcast Jim Hill explained that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter all takes place on the day of the Tri-Wizard tournament. This has made expansion concepts somewhat difficult.

...the Tri-Wizard Tournament lasts all of year four, not just a day. And in in fact, Hogsmeade doesn't appear in the fourth movie at all. Let alone in a snowy village or The Flight of the Hipogriff. So I don't see how the Park is supposed to be taking place on a certain day. And I think the expansion is obvious. Diagon Alley running parallel to Hogsmeade with Gringotts being the main attraction. I don't think the developers are limited at all. In fact, each movie is supposed to be represented in the section, per contract terms. I think any speculation of difficulties with an expansion is a fanboy dream. Universal is sitting on a goldmine. Potter = Modern Classic

Ignohippo

Yes. Pottermore.

My understanding is that the site will contain the Potter books with additional material Rowling left out of the original books. There will not be any more actual new material in the Potter universe. Hopefully, someday she'll continue the story or open the universe to other writers, but that isn't on the table right now. The site is simply a way for Rowling to distribute the Potter ebooks so that she can make the most profit without selling them through third party sites.

The life of the Potter franchise has been debated en nauseum here on the boards. I absolutely think it will be beloved for years to come but I also think its days are numbered as the huge draw it is now. I would love to see new content but unless that happens, it will eventually lose it's luster.

If Lucas had not made the prequels (and not saved the prequels by the new animated show:D), I think Star Wars would have much, much less draw that it has now. It's simply a matter of out of sight, out of mind.

wedenterprises

Star Wars is so underutilized. To "compete" with Harry Potter Land would be incredibly straightforward, but for whatever reason they chose FLE. :shrug:

My understanding is that the site will contain the Potter books with additional material Rowling left out of the original books. There will not be any more actual new material in the Potter universe. Hopefully, someday she'll continue the story or open the universe to other writers, but that isn't on the table right now. The site is simply a way for Rowling to distribute the Potter ebooks so that she can make the most profit without selling them through third party sites.

The life of the Potter franchise has been debated en nauseum here on the boards. I absolutely think it will be beloved for years to come but I also think its days are numbered as the huge draw it is now. I would love to see new content but unless that happens, it will eventually lose it's luster.

If Lucas had not made the prequels (and not saved the prequels by the new animated show:D), I think Star Wars would have much, much less draw that it has now. It's simply a matter of out of sight, out of mind.

You would think, but the potter phenomenon has an entire generation of both readers and moviegoers, and while I think that it may be currently slowly declining from its peak, I don't see anyone who will be ready to forget it anytime soon. Heck, the books are even becoming required reading in some schools! In addition, Potter has a unique stronghold on both the Literature and Movie fronts, both of which will never really allow it to be "out of sight"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom