I sure hope SOMETHING is announced next weekend!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The problem with that thought though is it's a D23 convention which is all your die hard Disney fans and as the Disney company, you know that we already know about all that. This isn't a AP article for the masses. You need to give your dedicated base what they are looking for. There has to be a new ride announcement at the bare minimum or you are going to have MANY upset fans! Just think about the posts on this board if all we hear about is a new parade and a refurb?! They have to come with an attraction announcement. Period.

Which would you consider to be worse? They announce an attraction that ultimately never gets built, or just not announcing it at all?

jt04

The problem with that thought though is it's a D23 convention which is all your die hard Disney fans and as the Disney company, you know that we already know about all that. This isn't a AP article for the masses. You need to give your dedicated base what they are looking for. There has to be a new ride announcement at the bare minimum or you are going to have MANY upset fans! Just think about the posts on this board if all we hear about is a new parade and a refurb?! They have to come with an attraction announcement. Period.

You seem to be discounting the already announced NextGen tech that will soon be showing up if what we have been told is true. Since meramaid, circusland and batb have not even opened yet so I am not expecting any traditional ride announcements.

Nextgen is very expensive and likely using up available capital but I think it could pay off if done right.

NoChesterHester

I wonder if the recent shady economic news will modify the scope of the announcements. If the economy takes a turn for the worse we will be lucky to see the projects we already know about, much less new ones.

_Scar

I wonder if the recent shady economic news will modify the scope of the announcements. If the economy takes a turn for the worse we will be lucky to see the projects we already know about, much less new ones.

Employment is slowly bouncing back, S&P ratings are being highly criticized, so if the economy is not getting better (and might I add, WDC has no problem making a profit) it certainly isn't bad enough to curb projects about to be announced.

NoChesterHester

Employment is slowly bouncing back, S&P ratings are being highly criticized, so if the economy is not getting better (and might I add, WDC has no problem making a profit) it certainly isn't bad enough to curb projects about to be announced.

I hope you are right. In a lot of ways though perception is reality. Parks and Resorts would look foolish in the eyes of the shareholders if additional massive expenditures we're announced and we double dip.

_Scar

I hope you are right. In a lot of ways though perception is reality. Parks and Resorts would look foolish in the eyes of the shareholders if additional massive expenditures we're announced and we double dip.

As someone who has been in WDW for the past week, it looks like Disney is recession proof. But hey, I'm no economist. :lol:

Hoping for the best!

wedenterprises

The 2009 expo really set the bar high. If nothing major is announced for the US parks I think a lot of fans will be disappointed and will look at the next expo with doubt.

disney fan 13

i really don't think that we will have anything major announcements but just in case disney is listening

1. AK expansion
2. put something in WOL pavilion
3. replace EO
4. Monster inc coaster
5. bring back AE! ( even though that one will never happen)
6. star wars land
7. indiana jones ride ( does not have to be the one in DL or DLP)

Brian Noble

If there's so much inventory to move, why do they believe it's cost effective to build an entire new building full of DVC's in the first place?
Because by the time it is ready to go, they will need the new inventory to sell. The last thing DVD wants is to be stuck with nothing actively ready to sell, the way they did several years ago.

Fractal514

Because by the time it is ready to go, they will need the new inventory to sell. The last thing DVD wants is to be stuck with nothing actively ready to sell, the way they did several years ago.

Also, like BLT, GF will sell fast, AK is a harder sell because of the location. I doubt many existing DVC owners added AK, but I know quite a few who will add a Monorail Resort to their portfolio.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Exactly. Why in the world would Disney be building more DVC? Real estate is NOT the market to be in right now.

Because that's not what they're selling. When you buy in to the DVC, you're not acually "owning" anything. You're buying a set number of points, which you then trade in for use at a DVC property. It might sound like semantics, but you don't actually own anything when you're in the DVC, certainly not property.

NX2I85

We knew about Star Tours II and Fantasyland expansion beforehand but it was still very exciting to see them formally announce it and show off artwork and details.

As for the bolded...yeaaa I really wouldn't call those "exciting announcements" and it would probably be less embarassing if they don't mention them at all at D23. It has to be something of substance.

Agree. If all Disney shows at D23 is a parade, Fantasmic refurb, and/or new DVC property it will be the biggest fail and internet flamefest since the Battleship movie trailer hit the web last month. It will be an open season of mockery and derision.
Disney generates expectations with this D23 event, so it needs to deliver or suffer the consequences

RSoxNo1

Agree. If all Disney shows at D23 is a parade, Fantasmic refurb, and/or new DVC property it will be the biggest fail and internet flamefest since the Battleship movie trailer hit the web last month. It will be an open season of mockery and derision.
Disney generates expectations with this D23 event, so it needs to deliver or suffer the consequences

If the show ride throughs of all of the Carsland and New Fantasyland attractions will that be sufficient?

What type of announcement would avoid a massive failure in the eyes of the fans?

Sigmundooze

Because that's not what they're selling. When you buy in to the DVC, you're not acually "owning" anything. You're buying a set number of points, which you then trade in for use at a DVC property. It might sound like semantics, but you don't actually own anything when you're in the DVC, certainly not property.

That's techinically not true. As a DVC member (I am one and remember when I signed the contract) you do own a percentage of your home resort. It is a crazy small percentage (I don't remember the exact number) but it is a percentage.

Kamikaze

We knew about Star Tours II and Fantasyland expansion beforehand but it was still very exciting to see them formally announce it and show off artwork and details.

As for the bolded...yeaaa I really wouldn't call those "exciting announcements" and it would probably be less embarassing if they don't mention them at all at D23. It has to be something of substance.

Go back and look. You'll find plenty of 'Thats it?!!!!!1111 We already knew that!!!!' posts after D23 2009.

ToTBellHop

That's techinically not true. As a DVC member (I am one and remember when I signed the contract) you do own a percentage of your home resort. It is a crazy small percentage (I don't remember the exact number) but it is a percentage.

Sort of--but it's not real estate in that there is no risk of you losing money. You didn't really buy property, you bought time (which is why it's called a time share). You don't take out a mortgage and you can't end up upside-down. You also don't have the rights that a sale of real property would entitle you to (wouldn't it be nice if you could turn your two bedroom into a Grand Villa when you spend a week at your home resort?). Also, most people are not forced out of their house after 50 years...DVC is more akin to a pre-paid rental.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom