Trip Report I ESCAPED!!! (part 2) - The BIG 2-0!

Part 2 of 2
September 12, 2013 - The limbo before the next adventure.

When last I left y'all I had finished up the inaugural unOfficial WDWMagic Girls Dream cruise. Here's the link back to that report. (CLICK HERE)

Just a recap, I've been gone from home including my sons & my little furry girl since Saturday. :( But, hey! I'm rested! :facepalm:

I'm also pretty new to the whole shooting photos in raw format with my new camera and editing so heavily. I'm still developing my skills so if the photos you see here seem odd, it's just me still figuring this stuff out. Pardon my progress, please.

I was on the Disney Cruise Line transfer bus on my way with a couple of the other awesome gals from our cruise sitting on the other side of the aisle. Needless to say, it was a quick, easy ride back to Orlando.

We're here.

I have a knack for being the last stop on these bus transfers. Once the other gals hopped off at the Boardwalk Resort I had the bus all to myself. See? All by my lonesome.

Almost home for the next couple days.

Sorry about that pic. Bouncing along on a moving bus doesn't make photography easy. :rolleyes:

I'm here!

My bus driver was really an interesting guy. He told me he remembered when all the area around us was just sand. He used to drive the trucks that delivered the concrete to the construction site when Kidani was being built. Very cool!

joanna71985

Actually, at this time there was a hurricane on the Pacific side of Mexico and a tropical storm not far from us. ;) I whine about the weather but, honestly, Tracey & I would loooove to sail near a hurricane so we had no problem with the rainy day at all.

Speaking from experience, it's really not that much fun :hungover:

Disneyfalcon

By the time I had everything squared away I had heard from Tammy (@Disneyfalcon ). She was checked-in at her resort and taking care of some emails. Yes, if you are her client she will even return your emails and take care of things when she can while she's traveling. Seriously, people. Get with the program. Best. Agent. Ever. I headed out to go meet her at her room then we'd shop the monorail resorts together. I could see clouds out on the horizon so I didn't want to chance a walk in the rain if I took buses. Plus, I was looking for fast transportation. Cab it is.

Met @Billy6 & his gorgeous wife who were sitting & chatting with Tammy near the Outer Rim Lounge. That was so cool to meet Billy & Heather. They're really very sweet. Heather is a very good sport for indulging Billy & his internet friends. I know that seems weird to other people. I try to keep that in mind.

We headed to the 2nd floor check-in area for our California Grill time. Joanna, Jess, Siobhan, and Courtney all met up with us for dinner. Still totally can't believe I have no pictures of this. I know at least Tammy will. Joanna, too.

Dinner was lovely. Perhaps the service a little slow. Courtney and I both were a little o_O at the fact I had to remind our server she had forgotten to bring me the beer I ordered. They have quite an extensive list! Forget what I had for dinner. I think I was most impressed with dessert. We did see Wishes from our table. It was fun. Not sure I'd want to spend all that for a meal again but it was decent. I think I might've been more impressed if our service was more prompt. Lots of dead time. I guess maybe they think everyone is there for Wishes so drag it out. I don't know. The checks seemed to take foooooreeeeeeever but then that could easily have been exagerated in my mind because now that my tummy was full I was just dying to go to bed. I'm so pitiful. :oops:

You're so sweet! :D

I don't think I took many pictures that afternoon either! I have to check!

The service wasn't a little slow, it was crazy!! We were there like 3 1/2 +hours! I don't remember ever thinking it was slow at the time, but later I did! I mean, come on! And I had to ask for every single one of the 3 cokes she brought me.

3. In 3 1/2 + hours. :rolleyes:

I will say, I ate there a few nights later and the service was excellent.

Yes, that chocolate dessert was the highlight besides the company! I loved it!

You got some great detail shots! I love them!

Looking at Cuba and Grand Cayman toes! Woo hoo!

That barracuda would have FREAKED me out!!

fractal

Holy crap that's a big 'cuda! Last year when we were snorkeling in the Keys, Toni started to swim towards one ( thinking it was a "nice" fish ), but that was a baby. I would have freaked out!

Great job on the pics! That carousel bar is very cool.

TaraWdopeyfan

I really enjoy your TR's, I normally just read and not comment. I do have a question, my hubby and I have talked about possibly doing a cruise when our girls get a little older and I see where a lot of folks say they order room service, do you have to pay extra for that or is it included?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I really enjoy your TR's, I normally just read and not comment. I do have a question, my hubby and I have talked about possibly doing a cruise when our girls get a little older and I see where a lot of folks say they order room service, do you have to pay extra for that or is it included?
All room service is free (food wise). There are a few items (like sodas) which you will be asked to pay for (unless you use the free soda machines on Deck 12). The prices and what is included is clearly listed on the menu.

But, as far as food...it's all free!

TaraWdopeyfan

All room service is free (food wise). There are a few items (like sodas) which you will be asked to pay for (unless you use the free soda machines on Deck 12). The prices and what is included is clearly listed on the menu.

Thank you!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Thank you!
I'll add to that though, the food at Cabanas is also free, as is the food at Flo's and the snack bars (I'm using the Fantasy terms for these venues)...and all you can eat.

N/A drinks are free on Deck 12 and a few other places around the boat. Booze costs money, as do specialty drinks. Popcorn and sodas for shows (at the show venues) cost money, but no one stopped us from bringing in our own soda mugs filled up on Deck 12 at these venues on my trip.

The Room Service food is good (same level as Flo's, I think), but Cabana's is a step up, and if you go up there at night (something I didn't learn until towards the end of our trip, and I thank @sweetpee_1993 for informing me!)...at night they turn Cabana's into a "full service" sort of experience. And the food is...REALLY good. They'll allow you to order and bring it down to your stateroom. MUCH better quality (almost on par, if not just as good as, the stuff they serve in the full service restaurants aside from Palo/Remy).

When we did it, they sent someone down with me after ordering to carry all our food for me to the stateroom (even though I didn't mind carrying it myself, they insisted). Fantastic experience!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great report so far, Kelly! Had a great time splitting dessert and a cab with you!!! Hope we can end up in the world/on a cruise together again in the future! :) And hopefully any other trips to California Grill will not include that waitress.

HA! She wasn't the best waitress, was she, Courtney?! Walter the waiter who didn't have our table was much better and way more fun. He took a nice photo of us (which will appear in my trip report, which I will produce shortly!) Future cruises that lack YOU will be not as much fun. Although I did enjoy spending time with the superb Mr. Howe. :D

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
OK, reading along...I have to comment, props to Tracey for taking the Royal Court ceiling shot!!! Totally! You got a good man there. Interested to see how mine does on his first DCL cruise in February. :)

And yeah, your verandah is AWESOME. Might even rival my aft verandah on the Dream.

Howe

HA! She wasn't the best waitress, was she, Courtney?! Walter the waiter who didn't have our table was much better and way more fun. He took a nice photo of us (which will appear in my trip report, which I will produce shortly!) Future cruises that lack YOU will be not as much fun. Although I did enjoy spending time with the superb Mr. Howe. :D
Yay! Looking forward to your TR! I will be very sad to miss out on next years girls cruise!! It was a great time. Mr. Howe and I loved getting to explore the World with you and @plaz10 !

tiaragirl

I LOVE your adorable story! I'll get back to ya soon.

Only 10 weeks to go! Almost down to the double-digits. He'll live. So funny about the head scratchin'. I scratch Tracey's head &/or back eeeeevery night. That's how he goes to sleep. LOL!

Well, on here we only know your dad as "Dadder" because that's what you call him. I'm sure you've said his name before. I don't know it. He's "Dadder". LOL!

I could so see you doing a runaway Disney wedding/moon. If nothing else, I've always heard that the planners & planning services make it sooooo easy for you. Plus, if you got married there then Andrew would HAVE to have a special place in his heart for the place forever. Right?!

Friend?! Friend!!! So funny! But do they try the guilt angle with "You promised!" or "My turn!"???? If so, they have been sharing notes with the shop people in Mexico. LOL! However, seriously doubt I'd be able to do much productive shoe shopping in China or any Asian country. Those people are so tiny and I have ginormous feet. I'd need to find their Sasquatch shop. :rolleyes:

Two months tomorrow until home! I made the mistake of mentioning I might extend our lay over in NYC to overnight to check out the city.. mistake and major discord in the magical land of our relationship. Some people are so sensitive :rolleyes:

Still trying to decide between getting married at the "cottage" (actually a house, really, on the Bras D'or Lake) or in Disney.. Disney is much less work, but cottage means everyone can be there. SO stressful! I wanted a NYE wedding ASAP when I got back.. then I could legitimze a WHITE SPARKLE WEDDING DRESS. Right!? Unfortunately, we're not allowed to do that because I don't get back until Dec 19.. details..

They kinda do - my friend Becca went to buy a jacket the other night and she bartered her down to 200RMB and then decided she didn't want it.. like, the girl chased her saying "okay, okay, for you 200" and Becca was like.. "nahh", and then she got verbally harassed "you stupid! you idiot!". I was home lesson planning but I'm sad I missed it a little.. a month ago this would have put us all in tears, but now we just laugh about it. How times change!

MORE TR

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I´m totally loving your TR. I need to get ,y butt on one of those DCL Ships one day. So cool that you get to do it every once in a while and what an awesome way to celebrate your anniversary. Keep the fun coming.

A little piece of info about the ESSO pic: EXXON actually only exists as a gas station brand name in the US. ESSO is the brand name for the stations that belong to ExxonMobil everywhere outside the US (They use both Esso or Mobil). ;)

I totally recommend the Disney cruises. They're amazing. Obviously or I wouldn't be so obsessed. LOL!

Interesting bit of Exxon info. My husband has worked in 3 of their refineries and I worked with them twice, once on a refinery project and once on an LNG terminal facility. Only ever heard the company referred to as ExxonMobil. I wonder where "Esso" came from?

Speaking from experience, it's really not that much fun :hungover:

Understood. I've seen hurricanes up close and personal on land several times. I really do want to see one from the water. Strange, I know.

You're so sweet! :D

I don't think I took many pictures that afternoon either! I have to check!

The service wasn't a little slow, it was crazy!! We were there like 3 1/2 +hours! I don't remember ever thinking it was slow at the time, but later I did! I mean, come on! And I had to ask for every single one of the 3 cokes she brought me.

3. In 3 1/2 + hours. :rolleyes:

I will say, I ate there a few nights later and the service was excellent.

Yes, that chocolate dessert was the highlight besides the company! I loved it!

You got some great detail shots! I love them!

Looking at Cuba and Grand Cayman toes! Woo hoo!

That barracuda would have FREAKED me out!!

I figured CG was either uncharacteristically slow or I was just that tired. I guess it was a combination of both.

The barracuda was nuts. After the shock and terror of the moment it really was a cool thing to have seen!

Loving your editorials. Too funny.

And for the taxi's...2012 they were granted a 9% fare increase.

Thanks!

Well, that explains the additional taxi cost. After the first ride I was pretty sure there had been a fare increase. The driver wasn't slow and he took the most direct route I know. After the second ride I was convinced. Still, worth it for fast, efficient door to door service. No waiting. Just get in and get out.

Holy crap that's a big 'cuda! Last year when we were snorkeling in the Keys, Toni started to swim towards one ( thinking it was a "nice" fish ), but that was a baby. I would have freaked out!

Great job on the pics! That carousel bar is very cool.

It was a huuuuge barracuda. Seriously.

I would love to see you go on a Disney cruise. The pics you'd come back with would be incredible. You'd be in photo-candy heaven!

I'll add to that though, the food at Cabanas is also free, as is the food at Flo's and the snack bars (I'm using the Fantasy terms for these venues)...and all you can eat.

N/A drinks are free on Deck 12 and a few other places around the boat. Booze costs money, as do specialty drinks. Popcorn and sodas for shows (at the show venues) cost money, but no one stopped us from bringing in our own soda mugs filled up on Deck 12 at these venues on my trip.

The Room Service food is good (same level as Flo's, I think), but Cabana's is a step up, and if you go up there at night (something I didn't learn until towards the end of our trip, and I thank @sweetpee_1993 for informing me!)...at night they turn Cabana's into a "full service" sort of experience. And the food is...REALLY good. They'll allow you to order and bring it down to your stateroom. MUCH better quality (almost on par, if not just as good as, the stuff they serve in the full service restaurants aside from Palo/Remy).

When we did it, they sent someone down with me after ordering to carry all our food for me to the stateroom (even though I didn't mind carrying it myself, they insisted). Fantastic experience!

Thanks @TaraWdopeyfan ! I think @englanddg pretty much covered the food stuff. Most food onboard is free including room service. If there's a fee or an upcharge you will know because it will be stated. You can also ask if you are unsure at any time. We keep an envelope of $1 bills in our safe strictly for room service tipping. Typically we give a couple bucks to whoever delivers it. On a 7-night cruise I bring 40 or more $1s. We like room service.

There's also a few things that are often available via room service that are not on the room service menu. If you know to ask, you'll get them. Mickey's premium bars, Mickey crispy treats, and "cake of the day" are the ones that I'm always asking for. ;)

OK, reading along...I have to comment, props to Tracey for taking the Royal Court ceiling shot!!! Totally! You got a good man there. Interested to see how mine does on his first DCL cruise in February. :)

And yeah, your verandah is AWESOME. Might even rival my aft verandah on the Dream.

Tracey is a good fella, isn't he? I've decided I'm keeping him forever. He can't ever leave. I told him that before he actually married me, tho. I was very clear: I'll never be divorced. A widow? Sure. Not divorced. He was okay with that. Good man, I tell you. Good.

I enjoy the bigger verandahs. We had a deck 9 center aft verandah on the Fantasy in May. I loved the verandah. Wasn't so thrilled with the "ride". The one we had on this cruise was on deck 5, forward of the forward elevators. We were around the corner from the Buena Vista Theater and right by all the shops, etc. on deck 3. I found the location super convenient. If anything, I wish we'd been on the starboard side for the Castaway Cay view. But, given the choice between the aft-facing 05E and the side-facing 04E, both have oversized verandahs, I'd go with the 04E based on location and ride. :D

Two months tomorrow until home! I made the mistake of mentioning I might extend our lay over in NYC to overnight to check out the city.. mistake and major discord in the magical land of our relationship. Some people are so sensitive :rolleyes:

Still trying to decide between getting married at the "cottage" (actually a house, really, on the Bras D'or Lake) or in Disney.. Disney is much less work, but cottage means everyone can be there. SO stressful! I wanted a NYE wedding ASAP when I got back.. then I could legitimze a WHITE SPARKLE WEDDING DRESS. Right!? Unfortunately, we're not allowed to do that because I don't get back until Dec 19.. details..

They kinda do - my friend Becca went to buy a jacket the other night and she bartered her down to 200RMB and then decided she didn't want it.. like, the girl chased her saying "okay, okay, for you 200" and Becca was like.. "nahh", and then she got verbally harassed "you stupid! you idiot!". I was home lesson planning but I'm sad I missed it a little.. a month ago this would have put us all in tears, but now we just laugh about it. How times change!

MORE TR

Awwwwww...why can't Mr.Magic join you in NYC????

LOLOLOL!!!!! "You stupid! You idiot!" I'd have turned around and said I was going to come back for it but not now...so who's stupid???? So funny!!!!

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member

You met Walter!! We have known him for a long time - he's awesome!!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
September 18, 2013 - The big 2-0 day!

20 years ago today we stood in my inlaw's living room and said, "I do." Seems like an eternity ago. It's hard to remember life before I was married. Considering I've been married more than half my entire life now, that's understandable. On the other hand, the past 20 years have gone by so fast. Not so long ago I was by myself and thinking about our ages and time. If we live to roughly 60 years old then that would put us at 40 years together. Then I thought about where we are now: 20 years. That means my time on earth with my sweetness is half over. That thought brings me to tears ever time it crosses my mind. There's never enough time. Never. But then again, something tells me time and space will never divide us. No way.

Pulling up to the pier in Cozumel. We have company today. This is a car ferry of sorts. I know they ferry cars over from the mainland to the island. This must be one of those.

Cozumel, here we come.

Yep, it's a ferry.

We went down and had a quick breakfast at Enchanted Garden. Tracey stopped into the restroom before we headed off the ship so I took a few quick pics of the Midship Detective Agency desk while I waited for him.

Can see where kids have picked at the laminating and scribbled. This is why we can't have nice things. :banghead:

More scribbles and picking.

I think we were some of the first folks off the ship today. Was overcast and not the most promising but we were prepared to make the most of the day.

Even an overcast sky can't diminish the amazing view when looking back at our beautiful ship.

If Remy were boarding the Fantasy he'd see this.

Well, if he got on before the rat guards were put in place. LOL!

Hello, cloudy Cozumel.

This is a ferry docked to take all the DCL excursion people who were going to Playa Del Carmen on the mainland today. There's amazing stuff to do on the mainland but I always rule those things out because of the transit times. I don't want to spend hours out of my day going & coming. You know?

We walked thru the port mall space. Many shops weren't yet open. There were still a few shop people trying to call us in. Nope. No thanks. Went straight to the taxi stand and headed off to our destination for today: Chankanaab park.

Here's the entrance building at the park. It was really neat.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We found the lockers, changed into our swimsuits, got checked-in for our interaction that I booked online, and sat to wait. We watched the overcast skies grow darker and darker. Ugh. When it was time we were given our life preservers and walked down to the "pool" where our new friends were waiting. As we stood on the dock waiting to be given the instruction to enter the water the skies opened up and it began pouring rain. The rain was sooooo cold. The staff offered to let us wait until the rain blew over but it was a water interaction. We're getting wet either way. So, down into the water we went which was much better. The sea water was far warmer than the falling rain. Felt like a bath actually.

We met our new manatee friends.

We were given the masks so we could see them down in the water better. There were 2 manatees. Neither were fully grown but still quite large.

You had to hold the lettuce out of the water when feeding them because they will try to get the full head from you. It was so funny because if you didn't feed them fast enough they'd use their front flippers to nudge you as if to say, "Hey! More!"

We fed both the manatees and swam around with them in their pool for about 20 minutes. The trainer told us all sorts of neat stuff about them. I love manatees. When I was a teenager we saw them all the time in the marinas where my best friend's dad used to keep his sailboats. They're really sweet creatures. Then it was time to do the "behaviors" with them.

Kissing.

Is this the equivalent of a manatee eye-roll???

Nah, he's just getting ready for the holding hands. Do you see the manatee's fingernails? They have 3 on each flipper.

This is where you get to hug the manatee. It's more like holding him up so he can do his best "Ta-Dah!"

The water movement paired with how heavy this guy was made my "Ta-Dah!" kinda hard to do but I managed.

Holding hands.

Kissing this prickly face was...uh...interesting. And if he exhales from his nose while you're smooching it's just weeeeeird.

I got some love, too.

New-ish behavior. If you splash water at him he'll roll over and splash you back.

We totally intended to stay and spend the day at Chankanaab. Did you see the map??? There's plenty to do all day and it's really a pretty park. The price of the animal interaction includes the full day admission. ((TIP! If you go online and book early there's often discounts!)) The rain wasn't letting up, though. We tried to linger and take our time buying our photo cd. Still raining and it didn't look like it'd be letting up for a while. We decided Chankanaab would be a must-do next time. We definitely want to bring the boys back. It's really a cool place. We headed back out, hopped in a taxi, and headed back to the port.

The taxi driver told us they'd been having a ton of rain especially of the nearby system. The streets were flooded in some areas.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
We had our taxi drop us here so we could go do a little shopping.

We like the giant chair inside.

We bought shirts for my inlaws, our boys, my parents, and us. Loooots of shirts. Word of warning: the Margaritaville shirts in Cozumel are a cheaper quality than the ones from the Margaritaville in Grand Cayman. They're thinner and shrink very excessively. I don't dare put them in the drier anymore. So, buy your shirts in Grand Cayman, buy them 3 sizes too big in Cozumel, or just don't machine dry them. Take your pick. :facepalm:

On our way back to the pier we stopped into the Starbucks on the lower level of the cruise port area. I was going to get something but, man, was this place packed with people soaking up the wifi. I walked in then back out again. Cannot believe I didn't get anything. Ugh.

On our way home.

Aaaand we're home.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Not even sure what all we did with the afternoon. Prob'ly included lunch and a nap. LOL!

We people-watched from our verandah for a long time. I have no idea why it's so entertaining to watch people making their way back to the ship in the rain but it is. We watched lots of little scenes like the little rick shaw that came up loaded with waaaaay more kids on it than should've been. My favorite was the man and woman on a rick shaw. The woman was bent waaaaay over barely holding onto a bottle of water. Her hair was almost dragging the ground. I saw them coming and told Tracey, "Uh oh. Here comes the champ." Oh yeah. The guy that was with her got her off the rick shaw okay but then she was laid out on the pavement near the bottom of the gangway. Then she started puking. It was quite the show. Within minutes 2 CMs appeared off the gangway with a wheelchair. They loaded her up, wheeled her onboard, and had her pavement markings all cleaned up in no time. Of course, all the people on verandahs watching the whole scene unfold were totally in for the show. There may or may not have been applause at various times.... LOL!

Anniversary dinner tonight was at Palo. What a difference 20 years makes. 20 years ago tonight we stopped for a quick bite at Burger King on our way to the beach for our 1-night honeymoon. ((We got married on Saturday and had to start fall classes on Monday.)) We ended up spending like $80 of our wedding gift money in the hotel arcade playing video games. Yeah, what a difference 20 years makes! LOL!

I brought along a few things for our table tonight. I had hid them from Tracey. I pulled out one of our extra wedding invitations, a few of our printed napkins, and the ceramic cherub that was our cake topper. Yes, we got married on a budget. Our cake topper cherub cost all of $2.50. When I placed these things on the table in front of us Tracey was speechless. He may or may not have had a little emotional moment. It was so precious!

This is the only pic we took with the ship's photogs all week.

Our little cherub on top of the wedding cake Tracey's sister, Stacey, made us.

Classyyyyyy...

After dinner we returned to our stateroom. Our stateroom host had asked which day was our anniversary earlier in the trip when he saw our door decorations. We told him it was Cozumel day. Tonight we found a little extra addition to the bed arrangement. I noticed it right away and said, "Hey! What does he think we need the extra towel for?!" Tracey died laughing. These are the Disney details, folks. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

**The following morning Tracey mentioned the towel to our host when we passed him outside our room. He laughed and shrugged. This guy definitely got our sense of humor. It was hilarious.**

Room service snacks and movies again tonight. Love watching the on-demand classics. We watched all sorts of stuff like Swiss Family Robinson (old favorite) and Apple Dumpling Gang. Love it!

Roughest seas of the whole cruise tonight. I knew it'd be rough when the captain came on the PA and warned everyone. It was so dark out it was impossible to capture.

I was able to get this shot of from the bridge report showing our apparent wind at 42 mph. I saw it as high as 50 during the night but didn't get a picture. I love the rough ride, though. All the thumping of the waves, the creaky sounds, the rocking and rolling....I like it. I sleep so good!

Last edited:

joanna71985

Aww, I love the Palo story! Congrats (belated) on 20 years :)

And it's a good thing I wasn't there for the puking lady (I would have not been far behind her)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom