Hurricane Irma

LukeS7

arrival sat morning checking out sept 24th staying at PoP
I'd tell them to stock up with a case of water and some food just in-case if they can't be convinced to postpone. They should be safe but POP rooms are not connected to the main building and don't have internal hallways so if Orlando does get hit bad they won't be able to just go to the food court, pending on conditions.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
arrival sat morning checking out sept 24th staying at PoP

Thought you said arriving Friday AM. If they are flying into MCO Saturday morning, they may be SOL.

But if They get there, they should be okay staying on property. But they will need water, food and other supplies. If this thing does track up the center of Florida, they will be without power for a day. And their resort probably won't be able to provide for therm until it passes.

Please tell your dad he is absolutely wrong.

DrewmanS

Easy call for us maybe, But as WDW is the ATM for TWDC it will be kept running no matter what the cost to the average CM.
It is not just a matter of costs. You have tens of thousands of guests on property. The parks not only provide entertainment, but food, amenities, and space for all those people to go. If you close the parks too early, you can have thousands of guests overwhelm the resorts and run out of food before the storm even hits. You also have a high percentage of children who you want to keep entertained and happy as long as possible. Sitting in a hotel room 'waiting for the inevitable' would only increase their anxiety.

21stamps

Im trying to get them too I need a more valid reason.

A more valid reason than a hurricane and tornadoes?

I understand chances are slim of Cat 4 or 5 strength of winds hitting Orlando.. but Charlie did plenty of damage still. And again, tornadoes.

I understand people from south or east evacuating to Orlando.. I don't know about if I was coming from the north on Saturday.
I'd try to talk them into postponing even by a couple of days just in case. At the very least they will have an extremely rainy trip.

lazyboy97o

Another data point to consider: if the parks close due to weather, It's likely that hourly employees get no pay. That might actually create additional hardships for those employees, on top of what they would face from the weather.
I seem to recall employees being given paid time off last year for Matthew.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only reason not to is to minimize financial exposure - compared to the safety exposure it causes for their staff. I think it's deplorable on their part - they are starring down the barrel of a gun. They can either make choices to ensure their thousands of employees can focus on THEIR homes and lives... or they can keep everyone bound and on edge so they can delay the decision as much as possible.

Boo on TDO here - make the easy call. Tell everyone THEIR HOME AND LIVES are more important than vacations and being worried about being fired.
Closure plans are being formulated, if not finalised. Ride out crews are being designated.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Another data point to consider: if the parks close due to weather, It's likely that hourly employees get no pay. That might actually create additional hardships for those employees, on top of what they would face from the weather.

From the collective bargaining agreement.

SECTION 3. INVOLUNTARY OVERTIME

Junior, qualified, available, on-shift employee(s) will be required to work involuntary overtime. The Company will make every effort to give the employee as much notice as reasonably possible of the involuntary overtime. Additionally, no employee will be required to work involuntarily more than fourteen (14) consecutive days.

When Management has at least ninety (90) minutes’ notice that a shift is going to be extended, it shall notify employees required to remain beyond their scheduled shift at least thirty (30) minutes prior to the end of the employees’ shift. The Company will provide access to a phone in the event of a required extension.

Also
SECTION 6. IMMINENT DANGER

No employee shall be compelled to perform work or operate equipment that poses an imminent danger to life or serious physical harm to himself/herself.

So it's sort of open ended...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@Disneydreamer23, tell them this:

They are arriving 24 hours before the largest Atlantic Basin hurricane in history hits Florida with winds in excess of 150 mph. The airport may be closed or closing as they arrive. There are gas, water and food shortages. Traffic is a nightmare. The parks will be closing with 24 hours of their arrival. Resorts will have minimal staff. Power may be out for up to 48 hours. They must be prepared to be fend for themselves during that time. They will be stuck in their room. Lord knows what the damage to Central Florida will be.

Both airlines and Disney are being generous with cancellations.

Tell them to watch the Weather Channel. Trust me, those of us in Florida wish this was "nothing bad". It is, very bad.

DrewmanS

You just put 'entertaining little suzie' above people's lives and homes. Let that sink in...
No, I just put the psychological welfare of thousands of children into consideration for not shutting down the park sooner than necessary. At the parks, 'little susie' can eat and run around until being locked up in a hotel room for 24 hours. You close the parks early and the resort kitchen might run out of food before the storm hits. Resort guests can't stock up like locals can. Shutting down the parks has a huge impact on logistics, transportation, crowd control, temperament, etc. Closing the parks would just require more employees to staff the resorts to handle the crowds of people with nothing to do until the storm hits.

jgj123

That won't mean anything to people from Chicago.
Have they even paid attention to what happened in Texas with Harvey and what Irma's been doing to the Caribbean? This is a major storm like we haven't seen before in our lifetimes. It's deadly and destructive. Even if it passes along the coast of Florida, Orlando is going to experience hurricane force winds, heavy rains and most likely tornadoes. Also, they will be arriving shortly before the airport suspends operations - that should say something in and of itself - and it's likely that Disney and every other business in Orlando will be shutting down shortly after their arrival meaning they will be stuck in the hotel until the storm passes and it's deemed safe to resume operations. They will likely have several days of being confined to the hotel area and once the storm passes, may be without power for days and expected to take care of their own needs. It's not the time for a vacation. Ask most anyone who has ever been in the path of a hurricane and they will tell you that they are fools to even consider coming now.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
:eek:...:(

Digital%20Hurricane%20Track_20170907_1400.jpg

If this track is close to what actually happens, it's going to be a Cat3-4 hurricane with ~130mph winds coming awfully damn close to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom