Hurricane Irma

jgj123

I hope this helps them stay thanks all
I meant to quote you with my last post. Having lived through Katrina, I wouldn't advise anyone to come when a hurricane is approaching. Better to delay and lose a few days if nothing happens, than come and risk your life if the worst does. I hope they reconsider.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Have they even paid attention to what happened in Texas with Harvey and what Irma's been doing to the Caribbean? This is a major storm like we haven't seen before in our lifetimes. It's deadly and destructive. Even if it passes along the coast of Florida, Orlando is going to experience hurricane force winds, heavy rains and most likely tornadoes. Also, they will be arriving shortly before the airport suspends operations - that should say something in and of itself - and it's likely that Disney and every other business in Orlando will be shutting down shortly after their arrival meaning they will be stuck in the hotel until the storm passes and it's deemed safe to resume operations. They will likely have several days of being confined to the hotel area and once the storm passes, may be without power for days and expected to take care of their own needs. It's not the time for a vacation. Ask most anyone who has ever been in the path of a hurricane and they will tell you that they are fools to even consider coming now.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I live in Florida. I'm basing my response to the OP's "My dad doesn't think this is a big thing" statement. We've seen many posts from people not familiar with hurricanes ask similar questions. To show someone who thinks Irma is "nothing big" the tracking map probably won't make an impression. But putting Irma in context with the worst Chicago winter storm might.

jgj123

I'm not disagreeing with you - I live in Florida. I'm basing my response to the OP's "My dad doesn't think this is a big thing" statement. We've seen many posts from people not familiar with hurricanes ask similar questions. To show someone who thinks Irma is "nothing big" the tracking map probably won't make an impression. But putting Irma in context with the worst Chicago winter storm might.
No prob. I quoted the wrong post when I first posted.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
No, I just put the psychological welfare of thousands of children into consideration for not shutting down the park sooner than necessary. At the parks, 'little susie' can eat and run around until being locked up in a hotel room for 24 hours. You close the parks early and the resort kitchen might run out of food before the storm hits. Resort guests can't stock up like locals can. Shutting down the parks has a huge impact on logistics, transportation, crowd control, temperament, etc. Closing the parks would just require more employees to staff the resorts to handle the crowds of people with nothing to do until the storm hits.

I can't imagine that CM are feeling very magical knowing what's coming their way. While I don't think for a second they won't hesitate to do their jobs to the fullest, they are people too, with families and homes...

asianway

Help please, my parents are leaving Chicago tonight at 6 om arriving Friday morning. Im scared for them to leave. Anyone help me? Im not the best at following weather. My dad says nothing bad is coming their way but.... idk
Parks will most likely close early Saturday, and all day sunday, delayed opening monday if at all. They should try to reschedule for a flight arriving Tuesday morning.

21stamps

Slow down and take a breath. Katrina (Cat 5) was only twelve years ago, and there have been other big nasties in the last forty years. Not minimising the seriousness of Irma, but let's keep a little perspective.

Katrina wasn't a Cat 5 when she hit Florida or Louisiana though.

I think 3 at the most. If the floods (levies) wouldn't have happened the devastation wouldn't have been anywhere near that level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom