Hurricane Irma

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Or have them browse to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov and get non-weather-hyper information. ;)

Seriously, even local weather is better than TWC. They jumped the shark when they started naming winter storms. :arghh: There are plenty of ways to get real weather information these days, TWC just isn't one of them.

This times 1000. TWC is sometimes (often) the Onion of weather forecasting.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, I just put the psychological welfare of thousands of children into consideration for not shutting down the park sooner than necessary. At the parks, 'little susie' can eat and run around until being locked up in a hotel room for 24 hours

zOMG what did people do before the Magic Kingdom existed? The psychological damage caused to kids for thousands of years must be epic. Maybe they might... read? Play games? Seriously... you are trying to justify that THOUSANDS of workers should be drawn into work so a few kids don't get cabin fever??

What on earth do the thousands of children who wait out weather incidents do around the world every year without the MK right around the corner from them...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Models have shifted west, with the Euro model showing landfall on Florida's West coast around Collier County - the poorest in the state. So now you add Sarasota, Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater to the traffic on 75..... :arghh:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Models have shifted west, with the Euro model showing landfall on Florida's West coast around Collier County - the poorest in the state. So now you add Sarasota, Tampa, St. Pete and Clearwater to the traffic on 75..... :arghh:

You're going to drive yourself crazy. You very well know the models will continue to shift here and there until actual impact occurs.

21stamps

Like...Harvey...

I hope I can articulate my thoughts without them being twisted lol.

Here's one of my big concerns with Florida being essentially so close to Harvey-

South Florida got hit by Katrina, but then the flooding in Louisiana happened after Katrina hit them. Then Wilma came barelling down on SoFla shortly after. So many crews and funds were in Louisiana that there wasn't as many available crews, supplies, and funds for Florida.

Serious kudos and thanks to all who worked dilligently in Louisiana and then headed straight to SoFla after. Those people were angels.

So now we have the absolute heartbreak and devastation of Harvey. We've all been donating money and supplies to the victims. The government has also been great and is expected to pass more relief at any time.

This country will need so much more besides all of that, we will need it for Florida and potentially for South Carolina. I hope that congress gives more, and I hope all of us who are not a victim of either of these storms try to help where we can.

I'd like to think that many lessons were learned that year.

monothingie

Premium Member
Another comes in 1 minute.
154730_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

As expected to the west.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, at least we can say, "No way, Jose!", as Hurricane Jose is forecast to turn to the north/northeast and head towards Bermuda.

Beacon Joe

Slow down and take a breath. Katrina (Cat 5) was only twelve years ago, and there have been other big nasties in the last forty years. Not minimising the seriousness of Irma, but let's keep a little perspective.

This. Hyperbole doesn't help anything. Only getting the heck out of dodge when and if somebody can does.

I'd wager that most on this forum were definitely alive and aware during Katrina and Iniki. I know that a lot remember Camille. And those are just US storms. I'm pretty sure most of this forum were alive during typhoons Haiyan, Thelma, or Linda in recent years.

The 1975 typhoon Nina killed nearly 230,000 people.

IanDLBZF

A reminder about transit for those of you staying either in the resort or off property (or even living in the area)...
Within the Walt Disney World Resort:
  • I believe the policy for Disney Transportation (including boats, buses, monorails, Minnie Vans, and DME) is to suspend service when sustained winds hit 35 mph or greater or when there is severe flash flooding within the resort.
As for LYNX, I-Ride, and SunRail:
  • LYNX will provide service as scheduled until sustained winds reach 35 mph on the ground or severe flooding is occurring. At that point all LYNX services (fixed route, NeighborLINK, Lymmo, and Road Rangers) will be pulled off the road for safety reasons. ACCESS LYNX TD Customers: The period beginning 12 hours before sustained winds reach 35 mph, ACCESS LYNX will only be providing life-sustaining medical trips, such as those trips to and from dialysis or PPEC appointments.
  • SunRail will cease operations at 8:33 PM on Friday (tomorrow). The last Southbound train will depart DeBary at 6:00 PM, the last Northbound train will depart Sand Lake Road at 7:30 PM. This is to prepare the railway line for the storm.
  • I-Ride hasn't provided any specific details as of right now, but I do know that they may suspend service on Saturday.
As always, please be sure to monitor this storm closely and stay tuned to local media on radio or TV for the latest information and further details.
Stay safe everyone!
UPDATED INFORMATION.
Also, be advised that Fort Wilderness is closing on Saturday, and MCO will cease operations on Saturday at 5 PM.

worldfanatic

The only reason not to is to minimize financial exposure - compared to the safety exposure it causes for their staff. I think it's deplorable on their part - they are starring down the barrel of a gun.

Somebody trying to play the "Disney Money Grab" angle.
How original.

I highly doubt they're trying to squeeze out extra profits this weekend at the expense of Cast Member safety.
The money they'd make would be the rounding error of a rounding error on their huge company's bottom line.
Spare me.

They've been through big storms before. I'm confident Disney will do the right thing at the right time concerning closing the parks.

monothingie

Premium Member
154730_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

As expected to the west.

I really want to be wrong on this, but If Irma maintains this track and intensity you are looking at catastrophic damage and potential for mass casualties for everything east of Florida's Turnpike. This is something is not going to be cleaned up in a couple of days. You are looking at months if not years worth of cleanup.

I'm don't want to be a jerk about this, but if this forecast track holds up, and there is the lasting devastation that I fear, the last thing I want to hear about is people complaining about their vacation being delayed or canceled.

prberk

Slow down and take a breath. Katrina (Cat 5) was only twelve years ago, and there have been other big nasties in the last forty years. Not minimising the seriousness of Irma, but let's keep a little perspective.

It seems that they have been keeping perspective. Irma has sustained 180+ mph winds for over two days, the last report I saw this morning, and its breadth is huge by comparison to others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom