Hurricane Irma

G8rchamps

Just figured out your screen name.....

Yep - sitting here in Gainesville FL watching the storm. May go to the Gator game on Sat since I'm sure attendance will be down. No one can get enough gas to be sure and get here and back to where ever home is.

I also sell insurance for a living so we are done writing new policies for the rest of the week and hoping for the best for our clients (and ourselves).

flynnibus

Premium Member
They really cant at this point. The forecasters are still saying things are still not clear, and Disney need to be very careful in the decisions they make.

The only reason not to is to minimize financial exposure - compared to the safety exposure it causes for their staff. I think it's deplorable on their part - they are starring down the barrel of a gun. They can either make choices to ensure their thousands of employees can focus on THEIR homes and lives... or they can keep everyone bound and on edge so they can delay the decision as much as possible.

Boo on TDO here - make the easy call. Tell everyone THEIR HOME AND LIVES are more important than vacations and being worried about being fired.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yep - sitting here in Gainesville FL watching the storm. May go to the Gator game on Sat since I'm sure attendance will be down. No one can get enough gas to be sure and get here and back to where ever home is.

I also sell insurance for a living so we are done writing new policies for the rest of the week and hoping for the best for our clients (and ourselves).

Surprised yours hasn't been cancelled. Ours was moved to noon and I see Miami cancelled theirs. Thinking there will be a sparse crowd at the game...hot, storm and QB.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The only reason not to is to minimize financial exposure - compared to the safety exposure it causes for their staff. I think it's deplorable on their part - they are starring down the barrel of a gun. They can either make choices to ensure their thousands of employees can focus on THEIR homes and lives... or they can keep everyone bound and on edge so they can delay the decision as much as possible.

Boo on TDO here - make the easy call. Tell everyone THEIR HOME AND LIVES are more important than vacations and being worried about being fired.

If they are accurate with a Sunday AM landfall, waiting until Saturday will be too late.

Ehhhh... Disney is doing the right thing right now, imo. If people want to cancel their trips, they can. People in Orlando are not in any real danger so long as they are in a well built structure. If it landfalls down near Miami and heads north... even if the worst part of the storm goes right through Disney, the winds will be nowhere near what they are right now. Hurricanes wind down very quickly over land. Harvey was rapidly intensifying in the hours leading up to its landfall and 12 hours after landfall, it was hard to find any observation stations getting hurricane force winds.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
This is a ECMWF Product that is usually not easily accessible to the public. The 10 meter Gust speed is most accurate for determining surface wind conditions. Being conservative that puts 100MPH gusts over central Florida Sunday morning. (1 Knot = 1.15 MPH)

Please be careful.

21368701_10155499946352367_5800006735740908156_o.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Easy call for us maybe, But as WDW is the ATM for TWDC it will be kept running no matter what the cost to the average CM.

21stamps

Fab. We live just west of the railroad in Oakland Park.

They found room for Kylie until Tuesday, so we may stay here after all, rather than risk driving to ATL in traffic and stressing about gas.

Have to check for room availability/ pricing.

Plus Brian's Dad and brothers and their families are coming to Orlando today from the coast.

I'm sending good thought to all of SoFla don't worry!

As of last night POR was the only place I could find with availability, hurry and check. Some resorts showed available- but then when you clicked on them all room categories were sold out. I'm glad his family is coming inland!

I am not going to second guess someone else's decisions about what's best for them and their families, but I know I made the right choice on how to deal with hurricanes in 2008. That's when I ceased being a Florida resident for good.

I left a few years ago.. second guess myself often, until times like this!
This. The latest European model run had Irma making landfall in the central Keys/west of Homestead and took it right over Lake Okeechobee and Orlando. Should also note the North American model runs have been a bit more west as well today, scraping Irma's eye wall along the east coast of the state.

In other words, there's still a good chance this storm trends more west and tracks inland up Florida rather than the east coast. The entire peninsula needs to be on alert, including Orlando, Tampa, and the west coast.

Agree. But for people like our @Tony the Tigger and his husband, Orlando is the better option.

To give CMs time to secure the parks and resorts and then time to take care of their abodes.

They have likely been doing preparation at the parks for a couple days if not longer. Also, I was unaware there was a rule where employees couldn't board up their homes and buy supplies they need until after Disney announces their parks are closed.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They have likely been doing preparation at the parks for a couple days if not longer. Also, I was unaware there was a rule where employees couldn't board up their homes and buy supplies they need until after Disney announces their parks are closed.

That can take time. Why not close the parks tomorrow evening so people have time? The state has given all employees tomorrow off (South Florida out today too) and many will also be out Monday and possibly Tuesday.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ehhhh... Disney is doing the right thing right now, imo. If people want to cancel their trips, they can. People in Orlando are not in any real danger so long as they are in a well built structure. If it landfalls down near Miami and heads north... even if the worst part of the storm goes right through Disney, the winds will be nowhere near what they are right now. Hurricanes wind down very quickly over land. Harvey was rapidly intensifying in the hours leading up to its landfall and 12 hours after landfall, it was hard to find any observation stations getting hurricane force winds.

Correct about inland... however we are still talking about AN AMUSEMENT PARK - not anything like essential services. Disney is an employer that has thousand upon thousands of people commute daily, and work 24hrs a day to keep their operation going. That is thousands of people who are having to focus on trivial "magic" instead of focusing on their family and home. If Disney is getting 5inches of rain and 40mph winds... there is no reason to have an AMUSEMENT PARK open. And certainly no reason to ask your thousands of employees to risk danger to be there. There is little reason even if they get a miss... a large portion of the region is going to be ravaged for 24-48hrs. No one should have to worry about retaliation from their employer because they didn't brave the conditions to get to work.

I'd rather a ride operator be able to work with their parents and ensure their family (which is likely in the region) is covered... than worrying about Philharmagic playing to empty theaters.

Disneydreamer23

Help please, my parents are leaving Chicago tonight at 6 om arriving Friday morning. Im scared for them to leave. Anyone help me? Im not the best at following weather. My dad says nothing bad is coming their way but.... idk

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

Not defending TDO, but USO and Seaworld are also doing just the same. (which doesn't make it right). We'll see how quickly this changes after the official watches get put up at 5PM. I'll reserve judgement till then.

21stamps

It all depends on where it is. There is nothing in the building code preventing wood construction, but it must meet the wind code for where it is located.

Where I am at in North Florida, it is quite common to see up to 3-4 story apartment buildings framed entirely from wood. However, the farther south you go, the higher the wind speed gets. As I understand it, once you get around central florida, it starts to become more financially attractive to go full block.

Wood construction holds up just fine under high winds providing is is clipped and held down correctly.

I just spoke to someone who is involved with that property and with many properties in the area. Most of WPB, Boca Raton, and all other "boom" areas in South Florida, (including most of Ft Laud, North Miami and South) were built with all units having impact glass, and all structures meeting extremely stringent codes.. because they've all been built in the past 15 years or so. Anything older than that does run a risk.

Not to bring back the construction discussion, but I did talk to him to clarify and just wanted to share.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Help please, my parents are leaving Chicago tonight at 6 om arriving Friday morning. Im scared for them to leave. Anyone help me? Im not the best at following weather. My dad says nothing bad is coming their way but.... idk

Visiting WDW? What is their return date home? Staying on property?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom