1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by JohnD, Sep 4, 2017.

1. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member

The latest update shows "the cone of uncertainty" making a turn to the west (Edit: Showing the northward turn toward Florida in it's 9/5 5pm update). Some tracks show it going up the middle of Florida or hugging Florida's west coast toward the big bend. Hopes this thing follows the Gulf Stream then out to sea.

It's probably time to start a thread for it.

Here's the real time tracking map from the National Hurricane Center.

[​IMG]

Hurricane models, maps, and more can also be found at http://www.spaghettimodels.com/

Watch Hurricane Irma webcams from around Florida.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. monothingie

monothingie CAAAANNN DO! Premium Member

Advertisement
    IMG_4714.PNG Some of the latest models have it going over central Florida with 60-90 mph sustained winds a week from today. Bear in mind that a week is an eternity in meteorological time. Two days ago the models showed a direct impact on NYC, so much can change.

3. GhostHost1000

GhostHost1000 Well-Known Member

For all of you traveling to Florida soon...one of the best sites I've found to see the most up to date models and predictions all in one place is Mike's Weather Page on Facebook or spaghettimodels.com online. I've used it many times when traveling to places during hurricane season and he does a lot of live broadcasts on Fb as well with the latest info

Stay safe everyone and pray this turns out to the ocean, but beginning to trend more Florida and gulf for GFS or scooting up the east coast EURO. Things will change of course each run. Hopefully this won't impact wdw or anyone's vacations

4. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Original Poster

:eek:

lisacat and WDWTank like this.
  5. Wolf43

Wolf43 Member

Hopefully, she will turn and go back out to see. I will be there next week. While I don't mind some rain, I really don't want to have to ride out a hurricane while at Disney.

lisacat, MOXOMUMD, brb1006 and 7 others like this.
  6. monothingie

monothingie CAAAANNN DO! Premium Member

You are safer in Disney during a hurricane than probably any other place on the planet.

7. Wolf43

Wolf43 Member

True, very true. I still remember everything from riding out Isabelle back in the early 2000's here at home. So, having experienced a hurricane, I have no desire to repeat if possible. Having said that, Irma is not going to stop me from going to Disney.

lisacat, MOXOMUMD, solidyne and 6 others like this.
  8. Tjohnson322

Tjohnson322 New Member

We are slated to arrive Thursday evening from Texas. Everyone is shaken from Harvey, so we are on edge.

Though, Disney wouldn't be such a bad place to ride out a storm.

We are packing our rain gear and hoping for the best.

lisacat, MOXOMUMD, solidyne and 13 others like this.
  9. JohnD

10. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

Spaghetti models are converging on Florida...
    [​IMG]

mikeymouse and Smiley/OCD like this.
  11. JohnD

Wonderful. Grr.

12. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

Yeah, I wouldn't have any concerns about being at Disney during a hurricane. The thing that you need to be most concerned about is how a storm will effect your travel plans since it doesn't take much to screw up the airline schedules even if the storm doesn't hit the Orlando area directly.

SorcererMC, MOXOMUMD, brb1006 and 5 others like this.
  13. Wolf43

Wolf43 Member

Oh, boy. If I am reading the latest model correction, Orlando will be east of Irma. Which is the worse side of a hurricane
    :arghh:

Minnie1986 likes this.
  14. GhostHost1000

GhostHost1000 Well-Known Member

When they just get some wind and rain yeah but not if the eye goes right over wdw then...I'd choose to be anywhere else on the planet and there could be damage at wdw

Florida isn't that wide so the storm wouldn't weaken much if it took a b line for wdw

Not trying to scare anyone but this is something to keep an eye on with the models continuing to shift

lisacat, MOXOMUMD, brb1006 and 3 others like this.
  15. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

...and that will change 10 times over the next week.

Jim S, lisacat, MOXOMUMD and 10 others like this.
  16. Wolf43

Wolf43 Member

hoping and praying it will.

17. Tjohnson322

Tjohnson322 New Member

We are keeping our cancellation insurance info handy. We don't usually purchase it, but for some reason opted for it this time.

lisacat, MOXOMUMD, brb1006 and 3 others like this.
  18. francism

francism Member

So I'm living in Kissimmee right now, a couple miles south of the Animal Kingdom area. On the 3rd floor of my building, windows face west if it makes a difference. We went and bought water and some other stuff yesterday, planning on possibly getting a few other small things Tuesday if things continue their current track. I moved here last year right before Matthew did the near miss so I'm not exactly sure of what the best plan might be.

After Harvey, I'm worried about the cars. We don't have a garage or anything, we just park in a lot outside the building. It's not the flooding that worries me as much as the wind and flying debris. I thought about taking the cars to a parking garage (or at least the one nicer car that we are still paying off) and then getting a cab or uber back to the apartment but I'm not sure if there are any garages that would be open in the Kissimmee area. I know Disney Springs has garages but I don't think they were open to the public during Matthew last year. I could drive all the way to the airport and leave the nicer car at the MCO garage but it seems like such a long distance. I found some articles from last year during Matthew that you could park at certain garages in Downtown Orlando but it was for residents only. Is there anything like this in Kissimmee? Thoughts would be appreciated.

19. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Updated forecast track as of 11:00am
    [​IMG]

Facu474 likes this.
  20. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

Moving this to the News board as some impact to Florida is looking more likely.

Facu474, MOXOMUMD, brb1006 and 8 others like this.