Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From my understanding, the new construction will need to be to current code. The rest will kind of depend. For instance, if you re-roof, the plywood will need to be nailed to current code.

Yes, that's true. And any structural changes would have to be new code, that's what I've heard.

lazyboy97o

The way the code reads is if a building is within 1500 feet of the next one, they must have impact protection at least 30' above the roof of an adjacent building.

Where you start to get into a grey area is if a building was put up and there were no adjacent buildings at the time then those 30' and 60' numbers are from the ground. But if another building is put up inside that 1500' range at a later date, it technically no longer meets code.

I would have to think that the building department must know this will happen and they might assume there will be a taller building next to it in the future. Of course that implies forward thinking and logic which rarely apply to the building department.
I just double check and there are no adjacency exceptions under 2410.2 for the High Velocity Hurricane Zones. The only exception is for shutters and screens. So since at least 2010 in Broward and Dade counties it is large missile below 30’ and small missile above 30’ unless there is a shutter or screen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Are the highrises usually built with concrete or steel beams?

Cranes should be alright structurally speaking imo, because they're trusses. The air can still flow around the individual rods relatively easily, so there is less resistance for the wind and the resulting load to be carried by the truss itself should be bearable imo.

The wind load is less because of the open structure - but that doesn't help aspects like the system being less rigid and what that means in sustained abuse scenarios. These things sway, vibrate, etc. The whole thing is an erector set held together with bolts holding each stack segment together. I wouldn't want to be a crane owner in south florida right now...

LAKid53

Premium Member
@Master Yoda you would know better than me, but a pedestal building like that (Residential over garage) by me would be lightweight wood construction over poured reinforced concrete. Is that allowed in Florida? I know by me the only place that doesn't allow lightweight wood construction is NYC. If it is that thing would be torn apart by any sort major hurricane.

Hurricane straping would be required. Before I would close on my home, I required the builder who owned it to install the strapping required by code be added to the enclosed porch that was added on 2000 and didn't have it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
All performances of Disney On Ice presents Dare To Dream previously scheduled for Friday, September 8 through Sunday, September 10 at Amway Center have been postponed due to Hurricane Irma. A return engagement is scheduled for May 2018. Specific dates remain to be determined. Tickets will be honored for the rescheduled performances.

Hobnail Boot

Mandatory evacuation has been issued for the Georgia coast, my area included. It goes into affect Saturday morning at 8am. Still hoping this thing turns!!!

lazyboy97o

I believe in Florida there's not that wiggle room on renovations - everything must be brought up to current code. But I'll find out when I start to renovate my home that was built in 1981.....
Florida also has the 51% requirement but that is still up to the building official.

The Mom

Premium Member
Eesh, the Turnpike is backed up hard this morning. I wonder if it's worth going on I-95 and cutting across the state via HWY 40 to get back on I-75, although it's backed up there too in a lot of places.

dRuwxMY.jpg

R9slb2G.jpg

Lots of people trying to get gas.
UIPSr8Y.jpg

Never seen black likes in Google Maps before. Heading out tomorrow afternoon since I live fairly north. Might have to go up to Jacksonville and cut across via I-10 to get back on 75.

Highway 301 takes you all the way up into GA. There are multiple places to cut over to 75 or I-10 to I-95. US 17 goes from from 192 up into GA - but it's pretty coastal after JAX.

21stamps

I'm assuming that nice little wind trap faces the beach?

Intracoastal.. which is obviously close to the beach in that part of Florida.. much closer than Miami.
But we still had all of the double digit million dollar homes between us and the water to protect us.lol

When I moved to PB I was still on the intracoastal side, but on the island, not WPB. I never lived directly on the ocean, only New River and Intracoastal.. couldn't do the beach as it's too far to walk to Starbucks and the bars ;)

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Hurricane straping would be required. Before I would close on my home, I required the builder who owned it to install the strapping required by code be added to the enclosed porch that was added on 2000 and didn't have it.

It's funny We're building my brothers house now and hurricane strapping is required by me in NJ as well.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It is my understanding that tower cranes are designed to take a Cat 4 hurricane. It will be dicey for them, but I suspect they will survive. I would however not bet my life on it.

Never heard of one blowing over.

I also can't imagine them not having rather deep pilings as it is not uncommon to see a simple 2 story house built on the beach in north Florida with rather deep pilings, let alone a 20-30 story building.

Just piggybacking on your answer about the cranes. Not sure if this was already posted but this is the official statement from the city of miami on the cranes..
DI_dFmCUQAAWe6_.jpg:large

The Mom

Premium Member
People, perhaps we could stop the detailed discussion of building codes and get back to Irma's impact on WDW and those trying to evacuate to/from FL/Coastal GA - as some people are either in WDW right now, or have plans to be there within the next week or so.

Thank you.

I have "bumped" a general Hurricane Survival thread where you can move most of this discussion. Thanks.

LAKid53

Premium Member

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
HauntedPirate said:
Exactly. It's not like this is being done on a whim. There's a Cat5 hurricane heading for Florida. If an employer's stance is - "Nope, sorry, your vacation is locked in!", the response should be - "Ok, then I quit".

I can't agree enough as a current 'essential' employee who has to schedule vacations a year in advance with no "backsies". A co-worker of mine is currently in WDW, hoping to leave tomorrow because her cruise was cancelled. Sure she can reschedule, but not for anytime soon because all vacation time is spoken for - for the entire year and beyond - we have to meet minimum staffing levels in order to keep the public safe. I doubt she's going to quit her job because she can't reschedule.

And don't forget if an emergency hits during your scheduled vacation you are simply SOL because 'no backsies'

We never should forget there are a LOT of Government employees who make many behind the scenes sacrifices that are never seen or noticed by the public. Which is why BAD/Lazy Govt employees are a cancer because they give all Govt employees a bad name.

worldfanatic

People, perhaps we could stop the detailed discussion of building codes and get back to Irma's impact on WDW and those trying to evacuate to/from FL/Coastal GA - as some people are either in WDW right now, or have plans to be there within the next week or so.

Thank you.

I have "bumped" a general Hurricane Survival thread where you can move most of this discussion. Thanks.
Thank You!!
Really...........THANK YOU!!!!!

That was unreadable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom