Hurricane Irma

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I love the IBC! Florida uses the 2012 I codes, Unless they have a specific Florida specific additions?
The Florida building code is its own code since 2000, but it is my understanding that it was based largely off of the IBC so pretty much IBC with some tweaks.

But doesn't South Florida have different building codes than the rest of the state?
Florida has one building code with provisions based on location. Miami/Dade add on some more, but it is still classified at the Florida building code.

durangojim

I've never been to Miami, but aren't there a lot of older Art Deco hotels there? Since they're still standing after decades, does this mean they were built to withstand these category 5 hurricanes
Some friends canceled their trip for next week and we are trying to talk them into going with us 11/4 - 11/12.. Looking at availability there are no rooms for that week! I know its jersey week, but just seems odd that every single Disney hotel is sold out for those dates. Maybe because a lot of people have already rescheduled?

Good luck and our thoughts are with everyone in the storms path!
Same thing was true as of a couple weeks ago for Columbus day weekend.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Florida building code is its own code since 2000, but it is my understanding that it was based largely off of the IBC so pretty much IBC with some tweaks.

Florida has one building code with provisions based on location. Miami/Dade add on some more, but it is still classified at the Florida building code.

And counties can also add their own requirements above the state minimums

lazyboy97o

I've never been to Miami, but aren't there a lot of older Art Deco hotels there? Since they're still standing after decades, does this mean they were built to withstand these category 5 hurricanes
No. Category 5 is the last category because it is pretty much beyond what can be built.

And counties can also add their own requirements above the state minimums
Cities as well and ultimately a lot of power is vested in the building official of the respective jurisdiction.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member

It's the same in NJ. We call it the UCC (uniform construction code) which is based off of the 2015 IBC. But then here's were we get stupid. If it is a new construction you fall under the UCC (2015 IBC). If it is a renovation you fall under the Rehab code which references the 2009 IBC. But if you renovate 51% or more of the building it is considered new construction and you fall under the 2015.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Same thing was true as of a couple weeks ago for Columbus day weekend.

Haven't been to Miami in decades, but from what I remember, those Art Deco buildings along South Beach aren't higher than 3-5 stories.

Miami's going to take a hit from the south, based upon the NOAA map I looked at - Irma coming up from the tip. Andrew came in from the East. Plus, Irma is a bigger storm, diameter wide, than Andrew.

Pray that Irma doesn't track up the Intercoastal....

Miami hasn't had a direct hit from a category 5 in recorded history. No direct hit from a 3 or 4 in many, many decades.

If Andrew had been 30 miles to the north, damage would have been 5-10x what it was.

The worst case scenario is a very hard thing to materialize (thankfully) and it is still far more likely than not that Miami won't get a worst case scenario. But it's at least on the table right now.

some other guy

There's a Ron White line that's oddly appropriate, but from a serious perspective very applicable right now - "It's not THAT the wind blows, it's WHAT the wind blows". 70-75mph winds at WDW may not be as bad as 150mph winds, but if it's blowing around pieces of trees, roof tiles, other debris, etc., it's still bad news.
Oh it's not like there's giant piles of construction debris just being left up and down the sides of I-4 or something.

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's the same in NJ. We call it the UCC (uniform construction code) which is based off of the 2015 IBC. But then here's were we get stupid. If it is a new construction you fall under the UCC (2015 IBC). If it is a renovation you fall under the Rehab code which references the 2009 IBC. But if you renovate 51% or more of the building it is considered new construction and you fall under the 2015.

I believe in Florida there's not that wiggle room on renovations - everything must be brought up to current code. But I'll find out when I start to renovate my home that was built in 1981.....

21stamps

I am also curious how a building official would view balconies that could also rip apart.

Many are glass. Mine were.

Ugh. I can't find the arial view that I want, but here's what I'm asking about.. the white building/highrise all the way to the right and top of the photo is where I bought during the construction boom.

It was under a mandatory evac in every '04/'05 hurricane. Several of us stayed during a couple of them due to confidence in our building. As I've said, the person across the hall from me had a window hit from a piece of tile in a nearby building during Wilma. Apparently then a palm branch hit it and it completely gave out, ruining most of their belongings and they had to run to the hallway.

They sued the building, but moved away shortly after, I have no idea what happened with the lawsuit. I just find it hard to accept that these condos are charging hundreds of thousands of dollars, upwards of a million +, and are deceiving all of their buyers.

IMG_3944.JPG

monothingie

Premium Member
I believe in Florida there's not that wiggle room on renovations - everything must be brought up to current code. But I'll find out when I start to renovate my home that was built in 1981.....

I didn't mean to confuse this. The code differences says between 2009 and 2012 and 2015 are usually minor with some additions. Unfortunately because it is NJ it has to be extra complicated. So it doesn't mean that if you renovate you can do whatever you want, you still have to bring everything up to the standard outlined in the 2009 code for example.

The worst part is that by the time they adopt the 2018 edition for new construction, they will only then move to the 2015 for rehab. It's maddening sometimes...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Miami hasn't had a direct hit from a category 5 in recorded history. No direct hit from a 3 or 4 in many, many decades.

If Andrew had been 30 miles to the north, damage would have been 5-10x what it was.

The worst case scenario is a very hard thing to materialize (thankfully) and it is still far more likely than not that Miami won't get a worst case scenario. But it's at least on the table right now.

If Andrew had been 30 miles North, Miami would have been a goner....

LAKid53

Premium Member

Ugh. I can't find the arial view that I want, but here's what I'm asking about.. the white building/highrise all the way to the right and top of the photo is where I bought during the construction boom.

It was under a mandatory evac in every '04/'05 hurricane. Several of us stayed during a couple of them due to confidence in our building. As I've said, the person across the hall from me had a window hit from a piece of tile in a nearby building during Wilma. Apparently then a palm branch hit it and it completely gave out, ruining most of their belongings and they had to run to the hallway.

They sued the building, but moved away shortly after, I have no idea what happened with the lawsuit. I just find it hard to accept that these condos are charging hundreds of thousands of dollars, upwards of a million +, and are deceiving all of their buyers.

View attachment 227270

I'm assuming that nice little wind trap faces the beach?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From my understanding, the new construction will need to be to current code. The rest will kind of depend. For instance, if you re-roof, the plywood will need to be nailed to current code.

monothingie

Premium Member

View attachment 227270

@Master Yoda you would know better than me, but a pedestal building like that (Residential over garage) by me would be lightweight wood construction over poured reinforced concrete. Is that allowed in Florida? I know by me the only place that doesn't allow lightweight wood construction is NYC. If it is that thing would be torn apart by any sort major hurricane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom