Hurricane Irma

Tony the Tigger

I feel like all of the houses on the intercoastal and ocean probably have a much better chance of standing than a lot of older homes/condo/apartment buildings just west of Federal highway near the railroad.

I think the most concerning is the bridges. And the boats/yachts.. most are being evacuated though.

Fab. We live just west of the railroad in Oakland Park.

They found room for Kylie until Tuesday, so we may stay here after all, rather than risk driving to ATL in traffic and stressing about gas.

Have to check for room availability/ pricing.

Plus Brian's Dad and brothers and their families are coming to Orlando today from the coast.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Eesh, the Turnpike is backed up hard this morning. I wonder if it's worth going on I-95 and cutting across the state via HWY 40 to get back on I-75, although it's backed up there too in a lot of places.

dRuwxMY.jpg

R9slb2G.jpg

Lots of people trying to get gas.
UIPSr8Y.jpg

Never seen black likes in Google Maps before. Heading out tomorrow afternoon since I live fairly north. Might have to go up to Jacksonville and cut across via I-10 to get back on 75.
I think I'd use US27 and 301 to get to I-10, then west...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just got in touch with a friend that lives in St. John (USVI), and she lost everything. Her house, and businesses and 100% displaced. Im so sad right now I can't explain, and there isn't much I can do to help her at the moment :(

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Fab. We live just west of the railroad in Oakland Park.

They found room for Kylie until Tuesday, so we may stay here after all, rather than risk driving to ATL in traffic and stressing about gas.

Have to check for room availability/ pricing.

Plus Brian's Dad and brothers and their families are coming to Orlando today from the coast.

You don't want to be on any of the major roads now - they're all parking lots. Photos of 75 this morning were shocking - and it's just Thursday.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I honestly wish that people who are in safe areas would stop evacuating.

I understand that everyone wants to be comfortable and doesn't want to lose power etc., but if you can't get a flight out, just stay off the roads.

There are millions of people south who are in real danger.
I am not going to second guess someone else's decisions about what's best for them and their families, but I know I made the right choice on how to deal with hurricanes in 2008. That's when I ceased being a Florida resident for good.

JohnD

Original Poster
I think I'd use US27 and 301 to get to I-10, then west...

Another route, if you're already north of Orlando, I-4 to SR 472 to DeLand, US 17 N (briefly) to route 15A around DeLand, US 17 N to Barberville, SR 40 West toward Ocala, SR 326 around Ocala, I-75 to points north.

hpyhnt 1000

12z Euro model is out. Has Irma running straight up the spine of FL -- basically no city being safe

This. The latest European model run had Irma making landfall in the central Keys/west of Homestead and took it right over Lake Okeechobee and Orlando. Should also note the North American model runs have been a bit more west as well today, scraping Irma's eye wall along the east coast of the state.

In other words, there's still a good chance this storm trends more west and tracks inland up Florida rather than the east coast. The entire peninsula needs to be on alert, including Orlando, Tampa, and the west coast.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm still surprised we haven't heard anything about the theme parks being closed. With the cancellation of the upcoming special events and now having scrims & construction equipment packed away for safety concerns. Sounds like they have major concerns but won't give an official notice of park closures.

invader

Oh (The Mom won't let me type it)! So taking a westerly turn?
This. The latest European model run had Irma making landfall in the central Keys/west of Homestead and took it right over Lake Okeechobee and Orlando. Should also note the North American model runs have been a bit more west as well today, scraping Irma's eye wall along the east coast of the state.

In other words, there's still a good chance this storm trends more west and tracks inland up Florida rather than the east coast. The entire peninsula needs to be on alert, including Orlando, Tampa, and the west coast.

nip3G92.png

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm still surprised we haven't heard anything about the theme parks being closed. With the cancellation of the upcoming special events and now having scrims & construction equipment packed away for safety concerns. Sounds like they have major concerns but won't give an official notice of park closures.
They really cant at this point. The forecasters are still saying things are still not clear, and Disney need to be very careful in the decisions they make.

In the past, closures have been announced with very little notice, and on the day of. I wouldn't expect anything until at least Saturday, possibly Sunday.

PrincessNelly_NJ

They really cant at this point. The forecasters are still saying things are still not clear, and Disney need to be very careful in the decisions they make.

In the past, closures have been announced with very little notice, and on the day of. I wouldn't expect anything until at least Saturday, possibly Sunday.

That makes sense. TY.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom