Hurricane Irma

21stamps

1609.1.2.2 for wind-borne debris regions and again in 2410.2.2 for high velocity hurricane zones. I’m not sure if those are new to 2014.

So the bulk of the buildings were built during the boom- early to mid 2000s.. those must have extreme standards, right? They were all advertised as such.

John park hopper

Why has Floirda not done a reverse of south bound taffic on I-95. SC has adopted this policy for I-26 after the traffic was backed up for miles on I-26 when Floyd came and there was a mandatory evac of th coast. It made a world of difference in subsequent evac calls. I see pictures of traffic on 95 at a snails pace.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I think you meant I-95, not I-85. I-85 enters west Georgia, coming from Montgomery, AL, before proceeding north to Atlanta. No where near Florida...

No, I mean I-85. Known as the Bainbridge Highway. Wasn't sure if there was an exit off I-10 west of 75 he could take. 75 is going to be a mess.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1609.1.2.2 for wind-borne debris regions and again in 2410.2.2 for high velocity hurricane zones. I’m not sure if those are new to 2014.
window.jpg

If I am reading it right, below 30' would have to be laminated to pass the large missile test. Above 30' requires passing the small missile test. Above 60' requires no protection providing that there is not an adjacent building taller than 30'.

DisAl

I think you meant I-95, not I-85. I-85 enters west Georgia, coming from Montgomery, AL, before proceeding north to Atlanta. No where near Florida...
I-85 does not go anywhere near Florida. It starts in Montgomery, AL intersects with I-75 in Atlanta, and then continues NE through the Carolinas. They may be thinking about US-84 which goes through Bainbridge GA.

21stamps

View attachment 227260

If I am reading it right, below 30' would have to be laminated to pass the large missile test. Above 30' requires passing the small missile test. Above 60' requires no protection providing that there is not an adjacent building taller than 30'.

Maybe this is why, if there's neighboring buildings then it is required?

Example- this is Sunny Isles, are the buildings close enough to qualify?

IMG_3943.JPG

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
View attachment 227260

I love the IBC! Florida uses the 2012 I codes, Unless they have a specific Florida specific additions?

lazyboy97o

So the bulk of the buildings were built during the boom- early to mid 2000s.. those must have extreme standards, right? They were all advertised as such.
There is no way to know without reviewing every individual building. A building code is a minimum requirement. Nothing legally stops a developer from using large missile impact resistant glass above 30’. These tests are also done at certain standardized speeds so a storm tossing stuff around at greater speeds presents an unknown.

View attachment 227260

As you mentioned earlier, it does come down to product availability. When you’ve got all those other high rises nearby I doubt many places qualify for the 60’ exemption. Those big open views that sell for so much money also can kick in safety glazing requirements. So while you may be able to find something else that does qualify, the many different requirements and end up pushing you towards a laminated glass.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe this is why, if there's neighboring buildings then it is required?

Example- this is Sunny Isles, are the buildings close enough to qualify?

View attachment 227264
The way the code reads is if a building is within 1500 feet of the next one, they must have impact protection at least 30' above the roof of an adjacent building.

Where you start to get into a grey area is if a building was put up and there were no adjacent buildings at the time then those 30' and 60' numbers are from the ground. But if another building is put up inside that 1500' range at a later date, it technically no longer meets code.

I would have to think that the building department must know this will happen and they might assume there will be a taller building next to it in the future. Of course that implies forward thinking and logic which rarely apply to the building department.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh... US27 up to Columbus. Interesting route... Based on google maps traffic right now, that would add quite a bit of time. Another option might be US19 up through Albany.

This is my route -

Screenshot_20170907-123740.jpg

I've taken 319 to 75, 10 to 75 and Bainbridge to 75.

lazyboy97o

The way the code reads is if a building is within 1500 feet of the next one, they must have impact protection at least 30' above the roof of an adjacent building.

Where you start to get into a grey area is if a building was put up and there were no adjacent buildings at the time then those 30' and 60' numbers are from the ground. But if another building is put up inside that 1500' range at a later date, it technically no longer meets code.

I would have to think that the building department must know this will happen and they might assume there will be a taller building next to it in the future. Of course that implies forward thinking and logic which rarely apply to the building department.
I am also curious how a building official would view balconies that could also rip apart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom