Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
055F1D76-0BED-435A-9916-B7092502312F.jpeg

Tha Realest

Let's all try and keep a little perspective. Yes, the structures at WDW are all designed and built to handle the level of wind we are going to experience. But keep in mind that for WDW to operate, the whole community around WDW needs to recover before the parks can reopen. There are tens of thousands of CM's who will be dealing with their homes and families during and following the storm which will have an impact on readiness to reopen. The local communities are expecting major road flooding and major tree damage throughout central FL. It takes way more than just the physical WDW property being ready before they can safely reopen. if the local roads are still flooded the local government will ask them not to reopen to keep traffic off the roads until they can get things cleaned up and everything safe. The last thing recovery teams need is people clogging the roads to get to a theme park when the whole community is trying to recovery from a major storm.
Sadly, someone reading these boards is steamed that they paid a service to get them Space 220 reservations for 10/1 and those plans are uncertain now.

LSLS

Hardly. While there will be billions in damage and some loss of life, SW Florida isn't the Louisiana Delta.

The Florida Panhandle still exists after Michael in 2018.

I agree with your premise (Florida also prepares better than New Orleans, and isn't below sea level), but Ian is forecasted to have a pretty significantly larger storm surge than Michael at this point. I will also say Michael is one of the BEST examples an area of the country understanding the dangers and getting out in plenty of time if I remember correctly.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah, these sorts of events bring out all the Darwin Award candidates.

Since the waves for surfing on the west coast are small compared to those on the east coast, hard core surfers like to ride the waves as a storm approaches. Stupidly.

Lirael

For anyone staying in a ground floor room, don't forget to put stuff as high up as you can, especially electronics, to avoid water damage.

And if you have spare towels and such, try and use them to block the Crack underneath the door, to minimize water coming in

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
WFTV is reporting most Publix stores in the area (Orange and Osceola counties) are now closing early at 12pm instead of 6pm. They will remained closed until reopening on Friday.

No one needs to be out getting supplies right now. The store shelves are probably devoid of water, flashlights, batteries and other important hurricane supplies. I imagine stock trucks probably came yesterday.

JohnD

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the parks do not reopen on Friday, with only Disney Springs being available in a limited capacity. Perhaps in ideal conditions, select parks will be able to open, albeit delayed. Obviously a ton of this depends on the path the storm takes, but ride out crews are very sparse this time around in the parks, and they are the ones responsible for clean up/setting up for operation (once conditions become safe to do so) while most cast can't make it onto property due to road conditions.

Time will tell.
We'll certainly have to see. I've been taken to task on this thread regarding my WDW planning logistics. First World problems to be sure and doesn't compare to prepping for a hurricane. OTOH, this is a WDW forum and l'm in the same situation as every other WDW guest trying to work around WDW's necessary park closures.

So, I have a park reservation for Epcot on Friday. I tried to switch it to HS but couldn't. Will parks open on time Friday? Will I have to go to Epcot first then hop to HS at 2pm? If parks open later, will they let anyone who had a park reservation to another park into the other three? Again, first world, but questions every WDW guest is asking in addition to arrival and departure questions.

Dinardo

The winds from the storm are blowing and pushing all the water out of the bay. Once the storm passes and the winds turn the other way, its going to blow all the water back in and that's where you get the storm surge
Not sure if the winds will switch in this instance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom