Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

fotofx

For anyone staying in a ground floor room, don't forget to put stuff as high up as you can, especially electronics, to avoid water damage.

And if you have spare towels and such, try and use them to block the Crack underneath the door, to minimize water coming in
I do not believe historically any first floor ROOMS have flooded.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We'll certainly have to see. I've been taken to task on this thread regarding my WDW planning logistics. First World problems to be sure and doesn't compare to prepping for a hurricane. OTOH, this is a WDW forum and l'm in the same situation as every other WDW guest trying to work around WDW's necessary park closures.

So, I have a park reservation for Epcot on Friday. I tried to switch it to HS. Will parks open on time Friday? Will I have to go to Epcot first then hop to HS at 2pm? If parks open later, will they let anyone who had a park reservation to another park into the other three? Again, first world, but question every WDW guest is asking in addition to arrival and departure questions.

I doubt the parks will reopen on Friday. All the local stations are saying we'll see TS conditions through Friday.

More importantly, Saturday's game is still on.

ToTBellHop

I doubt the parks will reopen on Friday. All the local stations are saying we'll see TS conditions through Friday.

More importantly, Saturday's game is still on.
The storm is moving faster than originally expected and should emerge into the Atlantic tomorrow evening. That should shorten the impact on Central Florida but also leave the storm stronger as it exits the peninsula. Southeast coast all the way up to SC could see hurricane force winds late week.

JohnD

The storm is moving faster than originally expected and should emerge into the Atlantic tomorrow evening. That should shorten the impact on Central Florida but also leave the storm stronger as it exits the peninsula. Southeast coast all the way up to SC could see hurricane force winds late week.
We can only hope. Earlier forecasters were predicting a short crawl.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I agree with your premise (Florida also prepares better than New Orleans, and isn't below sea level), but Ian is forecasted to have a pretty significantly larger storm surge than Michael at this point. I will also say Michael is one of the BEST examples an area of the country understanding the dangers and getting out in plenty of time if I remember correctly.

Not everyone evacuated. Several stories of people riding out the storm on St. George Island. Most weren't around for Dennis in 2005.

Ayla

For anyone staying in a ground floor room, don't forget to put stuff as high up as you can, especially electronics, to avoid water damage.

And if you have spare towels and such, try and use them to block the Crack underneath the door, to minimize water coming in
If you can, put thin towels or clothes in exterior resort doors to minimize whistling and wind-driven rain.

dreday3

Will do! I'm not unmindful of people in shelters, etc. and glad those are offered to those who need them. My situation is obviously a luxury compared to that. For one, I have free range of the resort without ever leaving. Mostly indoors but occasionally covered walkways as well.

Are you at Animal Kingdom Lodge?
Volunteer to shelter some animals in your room. ;)

Hope you ride this out as well as you can.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I'd recommend anyone in a room that faces the outside to put towels under the door. Water will be driven by winds on higher floors.

Ayla

We'll certainly have to see. I've been taken to task on this thread regarding my WDW planning logistics. First World problems to be sure and doesn't compare to prepping for a hurricane. OTOH, this is a WDW forum and l'm in the same situation as every other WDW guest trying to work around WDW's necessary park closures.

So, I have a park reservation for Epcot on Friday. I tried to switch it to HS but couldn't. Will parks open on time Friday? Will I have to go to Epcot first then hop to HS at 2pm? If parks open later, will they let anyone who had a park reservation to another park into the other three? Again, first world, but questions every WDW guest is asking in addition to arrival and departure questions.
I think those are questions that won't be answered until late Thursday/early Friday morning. You'll have to sit tight and see how the next 36 hours plays out.

JohnD

I think those are questions that won't be answered until last Thursday/early Friday morning. You'll have to sit tight and see how the next 36 hours plays out.
I have no doubt about that. Waiting out the storm is now part of my trip. It's very interesting seeing how Jambo House is very busy with people everywhere at almost noon. Normally, I'm sure it would feel like a ghost town with everyone at the parks with the exception of arrivals and departures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom