Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
...and? Who's talking about storm surge impacting Orlando? Ian is going to be a rain and wind event for Orlando and WDW, that can still cause problems.
Just saying the biggest threat this storms brings doesn't apply to Orlando. Given that, I don't expect worst case scenarios to play out for WDW. But there are other risks of course.

Lilofan

It's a slow moving storm with triple digit winds that's going to dump a TON of rain in Orlando.

We're not gonna get storm surge, but what passes is going to be like a giant slow moving tornado.
What authorities are advising don’t go near standing water is easier said then done. A number of places will be at the very least - standing water.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's a slow moving storm with triple digit winds that's going to dump a TON of rain in Orlando.

We're not gonna get storm surge, but what passes is going to be like a giant slow moving tornado.
We will see. Hoping for the best. I imagine there will be some flooding in the area.

mightynine

Just saying the biggest threat this storms brings doesn't apply to Orlando. Given that, I don't expect worst case scenarios to play out for WDW. But there are other risks of course.
Every area's "biggest threat" from a hurricane depends on their location. I'm done with this conversation now.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Every area's "biggest threat" from a hurricane depends on their location. I'm done with this conversation now.
Be done then. Not sure why you are upset. Be glad Orlando is not on the coast if you live there, but be prepared for what the storm could bring to the area (again, for those who live there).

natatomic

I am pretty sure they parked them nose to nose in the Contemporary during Irma in 2017... but maybe I am miss remembering
My ex was a monorail manager there at the time of Irma which is who I heard it from, but knowing my memory *I* could totally be misremembering! Or maybe they stopped doing it for a while and now they feel comfortable doing it again.

Dinardo

How about those of us who have gone through multiple cat 5s and whose family spent over 6 months without power?
So you have lived on the MS coast? Miami? and Mexico Beach?

I have been through storms that were once category 5 but didn't make landfall as category 5. Big difference.

There have only been 4 cat 5s to make US landfall............Ian could be the 5th.

esskay

Jees just turned on BayNews9. I forgot how 'the world is ending' over the top those idiots were. At least it appears they've not sent someone out to stand in the middle of the bloody thing yet.

I still remember one from a couple of years ago where the utter moron they had sent to cover it was standing on top of a concrete barrier next to a load of trees yanking the camera man up so they could get a better view of the rain and lightning all around them.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

I have been through storms that were once category 5 but didn't make landfall as category 5. Big difference.

There have only been 4 cat 5s to make US landfall............Ian could be the 5th.

Correct

Unless you were born in the 1920s and lived in the south your entire life there's no way you went through multiple cat 5s.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
My ex was a monorail manager there at the time of Irma which is who I heard it from, but knowing my memory *I* could totally be misremembering! Or maybe they stopped doing it for a while and now they feel comfortable doing it again.
I did a quick google after posting looks like they parked 2 (green and red) one on the express beam and one on the resort line during Matthew in 2016, Irma was in 2017 however I was not able to locate any information about Irma specifically (at work so just did a quick glance). So maybe they do not put them nose to nose anymore but it does seem that they will store 2 of 12 at Contemporary if necessary or at least they did, hope someone can update us!

Figgy1

Correct

Unless you were born in the 1920s and lived in the south your entire life there's no way you went through multiple cat 5s.
Y'all are making assumptions about somebody and their family being on the mainland. This is a site based in the UK with members around the globe

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
How about those of us who have gone through multiple cat 5s and whose family spent over 6 months without power?
The point is that there have been so many wrong statements about Katrina in this thread and with Florida being hammered it's not the right time for Katrina folks to frustratingly explain why people are wrong. Maybe another day.

esskay

I did a quick google after posting looks like they parked 2 (green and red) one on the express beam and one on the resort line during Matthew in 2016, Irma was in 2017 however I was not able to locate any information about Irma specifically (at work so just did a quick glance). So maybe they do not put them nose to nose anymore but it does seem that they will store 2 of 12 at Contemporary if necessary or at least they did, hope someone can update us!
During Francis (yep, been a long time!) they kept two in there, one on each line with the nose poking out one end slightly. The other end was just wide open.

I do wonder if they've got some sort of cover they're able to put over the entrances, but never seen anything to suggest they do.

Given they've lost a train since then they may just keep them all in the maintenance area.

Ayla

Am I? And how, exactly would you know if I failed to account for the CMs who can’t leave while in storm duty? Did you see my scratch sheet of paper on which I did my exact, complex calculations using the very detailed data Disney just sent me on their daily average WL check in/ check out numbers and hurricane CM plan - just so I could make this encouraging post where I state that I feel Disney won’t send a family out into a dangerous storm but instead feel like they would find a place for them to sleep safely until it passes?
Look, I'm not known as a warm and fuzzy poster, but the snotty snark is not needed right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom