Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Dinardo

HurricaneMatthew-monorail-clear.jpg

Ripped this from another Disney Blog site (not sure if I can name it, so I won't) - they said the monorails were stored at the Contemporary during Hurricane Matthew which was 2016.

fotofx

During Francis (yep, been a long time!) they kept two in there, one on each line with the nose poking out one end slightly. The other end was just wide open.

I do wonder if they've got some sort of cover they're able to put over the entrances, but never seen anything to suggest they do.

Given they've lost a train since then they may just keep them all in the maintenance area.
If you Google there are pics of them using the tractor to board up the entrances.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Let's all try and keep a little perspective. Yes, the structures at WDW are all designed and built to handle the level of wind we are going to experience. But keep in mind that for WDW to operate, the whole community around WDW needs to recover before the parks can reopen. There are tens of thousands of CM's who will be dealing with their homes and families during and following the storm which will have an impact on readiness to reopen. The local communities are expecting major road flooding and major tree damage throughout central FL. It takes way more than just the physical WDW property being ready before they can safely reopen. if the local roads are still flooded the local government will ask them not to reopen to keep traffic off the roads until they can get things cleaned up and everything safe. The last thing recovery teams need is people clogging the roads to get to a theme park when the whole community is trying to recovery from a major storm.

Ayla

Boma open for breakfast and dinner. First come, first served. However I have breakfast and dinner ADRs for Friday which they say they will honor. Jiko is closed. Sanaa for me is a non starter but may be an option for guests over there, if open.

Mara food court is busy. Takes mobile orders as usual. You can find menu in MDE.

Speaking of Mara, you can pick up frozen items from gift shop which they tell me you can bring down and microwave (or have microwaved for you). The usual adult beverages are also available.

View attachment 669789
View attachment 669790
View attachment 669791
I appreciate the updates, John. Please stay safe!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm increasingly convinced this will be Florida's "Katrina moment". Thousands dead, millions displaced, evacuees never come back, military called in, vacation spots never reopen, etc.

Hardly. While there will be billions in damage and some loss of life, SW Florida isn't the Louisiana Delta.

The Florida Panhandle still exists after Michael in 2018.

JohnD

I appreciate the updates, John. Please stay safe!
Will do! I'm not unmindful of people in shelters, etc. and glad those are offered to those who need them. My situation is obviously a luxury compared to that. For one, I have free range of the resort without ever leaving. Mostly indoors but occasionally covered walkways as well.

Ayla

I asked a CM at the bar about food boxes and she launched into the info about Boma first come first served and Mara open 6am to midnight. The only access, however, is from an outside covered walkway. If wind and rain is very strong and blows toward the walkway they may have another plan. I guess that will be announced if it comes to it.

The lounge which normally serves a limited menu 5 to 10 is not doing food.
Yes, unfortunately, the only access to Mara is from outside,.

cr3346

My daughter frequently sends us pics and videos of BayShore Blvd as she goes walking there. What exactly does that video mean?
The winds from the storm are blowing and pushing all the water out of the bay. Once the storm passes and the winds turn the other way, its going to blow all the water back in and that's where you get the storm surge

Slpy3270

Hardly. While there will be billions in damage and some loss of life, SW Florida isn't the Louisiana Delta.

The Florida Panhandle still exists after Michael in 2018.
The panhandle isn't anywhere near as economically significant as Central and South Florida. Plus most of the population lives in both regions.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom