How young is too young ?

minnie2000

Take her! You will have a great time - just remember you may have to take shorter days, and spend more time resting in the room or by the pool. But I'm sure you will all have a great time!

We took both our girls when they were nearly three, and we all enjoyed ourselves.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I sure hope that wasn't my bratty little demon!:eek: Which room were you in at POR? We were there at the same time!

Don't apologize. Little kids have melt downs from time to time. Most parents understand this.

On the OP's question - I took both my kids when they were around 18 months (winter of 05 for my son and winter of 07 for my daughter) and they had fantastic times, but don't take my word for it..........Here is my daughter
clapping, laughing, and having a great time during Fantasmic (we took afternoon naps, so nighttime shows weren't a problem). I think 27 months is plenty old enough.

DD_fantasmic.JPG

And since some are arguing that kids bog you down, how much more enjoyable is something like this -

Alec_stitch.JPG

when you have kids with you?

The Mom

Premium Member
I took The Daughter, along with my 15 year old niece, for the first time when she was about 22 months old. It was terrible, with the whining, meltdowns, and fusiness.

I went back with just The Daughter a month later, and had a fabulous time. :lol:

kjrmorgan

We took my oldest daughter when she was 2 years old. We took my youngest when she was 1...Both of them had a great time. You just need to make sure you don't plan your day and leave LOTS of time for breaks, naps, down-time. We've been back 3 times since then and she STILL remembers her FIRST DISNEY TRIP.

Go, enjoy, and remember kids get tired quickly!!

PS - we're going back in Sept, so we'll see how the younger sister does at 2...

MouseMadness

I took The Daughter, along with my 15 year old niece, for the first time when she was about 22 months old. It was terrible, with the whining, meltdowns, and fusiness.

I went back with just The Daughter a month later, and had a fabulous time. :lol:

HA! :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

I would say to take her... the youngest we've ever taken one was six months, and yes, it does "slow you down" so to speak, but... it's vacation :lookaroun isn't that the point? :shrug: And we have soooooooo many wonderful memories, and pictures and video that looking back, I thank God it isn't just my ugly mug posing for them all. :lol:

I guess I'm too selfish, just like another person posted, but in the opposite direction. I don't like to share my kids very often with other people. :eek: :lol: But WDW trips... meh, whatever. The more the merrier. :lol: :lookaroun

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I carried DS5 [now 12] everywhere our first trip! It was wonderful [though I think my right arm is longer than my left as a result :lol:]. I only regret that we didn't start going sooner. Our Disney times are certainly not our only great bonding time, but they're some of our best. The joy we shared at 5 was magical and I have an on-going relationship with my son that is the envy of most other parents who see us together. Disney may not be fully responsible, but it's definitely a contributing factor! :D

I could never have imagined "being selfish" and leaving DS behind with a caregiver for a week at any stage of his development. I much preferred being really selfish and taking him with me so we could cuddle, giggle, tickle and bond... My son brightens my day by being in the same place as I am, whether it's WDW or the grocer when I'm buying my sack of potatoes. :rolleyes:

Craig & Lisa

When thinking about whether or not to bring your DD, you have to consider a few things. 1 do you think she can handle the traveling? 2 Can you handle the traveling? Time of year, current health of both of you. You can listen to all of the advice you want to, including both your Dr's, but it boils down to what you decide. We had our son there at 1 1/2 and he had no problems. But ever child is different. Regardless of what you decide, take your time and don't over do anything and you'll have a great time. :D

tigsmom

I am being selfish in NOT wanting to bring my child. Because, as mean as it sounds, I see children (at least until they are able to walk and enjoy WDW on their own) as being basically dead weight on the trip. You have to push them around in a stroller or lug them around in your arms, yet they can't go on any rides. Okay, they can go on a few, like the boat rides and such, but that's about it. You may as well carry around a sack of potatoes all day long, because a sack of potatoes can do about as much at WDW as a baby and it will be just as inconvenient to lug around. :lol: You have to get them back to the room for bedtime, so that would seem to rule out evening fireworks or Fantasmic. You never know when they are going to make a huge spectacle (like the bratty little demon that squalled in my ear on the bus all the way from EPCOT back to our resort). So, as a previous poster said, there is no right or wrong answer, but IMO, I would really PREFER not to take a child until they can walk and enjoy things on their own and actually contribute to the fun instead of being a hindrance. Yes, I know, this is a totally selfish outlook and I'm putting it in very blunt, harsh words, but IMO, it is the way it is. Now, as I have always told my wife, when it comes down to it, I would rather take the baby and have our style cramped, as opposed to not going at all, but my first preference is to leave the baby at home. Everyone has to come to their own decision about this, but I just don't really see very many ways that a baby along can make the trip more enjoyable. IMO, they only weigh you down and stop you from doing so many things that you could do if it were just you and your spouse.

Again, sorry for the crude and blunt way I presented my POV, but that is just the way I feel about it.

*shakes head*

at least you were the one who admitted to being selfish because thats how i took your post...and its your POV and you are entitled to it.

I will say that for every child I've seen having a melt down I've witnessed an adult do the same, and some had no children with them. It happens when you push somebody to their limit and then beyond. No matter what your age, we all get cranky when we are exhausted.

Personally I never minded carrying my child anywhere, thats what a parent does. And I never considered them a hindrance, but a privilege...getting to see the world again thru innocent eyes is something everyone should enjoy.
So I didn't get to see every show or ride every ride, big deal. The look on my child's face at the end of the day meant more to me than anything else...sheer amazement and total enjoyment. We did the late nights too, after taking an afternoon swim and nap so we were all rested and relaxed.
My child never "weighed me down", your life changes when you have a child and you have to refocus your priorities, its called growing up.

Just my POV.

dixiegirl

Remember these are the types of people who always fight at Disney with or without kids. Some people just don't get it and thats OK but never compare yourself with someone who doesn't have that Disney "feel".

Exactly!!, We've taken our girls(who are now 6 and 3) since they we're babies one who I was pregnant with at the time....Yes every year as they get older the experience gets better and better... And yes you get to take less and less stuff...But doing Disney without the kids, for me I just could'nt, Yes people will say when they're little.."oh but the're not gonna remember it"..Who cares, there are pics and video and your memories!! Like anything else, pace yourself on the trip , We have never been one of those parents that "have to be back at the resort for their "normal" bedtime and such I mean we do take breaks (we need them too!!) and go back to the resort for a pool and lunch or nap break...But also are kids are not the kind of kids that if they go off schedule that they get miserable..(knock On wood)..But being selfish.....no not at all, go have agreat time!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My youngest daughters first trip was at the ripe old age of 10 days old so IMHO there really is no age too young or old for that matter.

The biggest mistake that most people make when taking younger kids is trying to do the parks in the same manner that the did pre-parenthood. As a rule a young child will wear out much faster than an adult so you have to take things at their pace. Make time for naps, don't push them to things they don't want to do and relax. If you push a child too far they will melt down and take everyone with them.

sarahblayden

roll with the punches

On our last trip in Sept06 we had a 3 year old and a 1 year old and we had a great time. You just have to roll with the punches when it comes to taking small children on any vacation, but WDW has something for all the family.
We are planning another trip next April when we will have another new addition to the family which will then be 9 months old and we are travelling from the UK!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura

Premium Member
You have to push them around in a stroller or lug them around in your arms, yet they can't go on any rides. Okay, they can go on a few, like the boat rides and such, but that's about it.

Are you kidding me? :ROFLOL:

There's only a few rides that little ones CAN'T go on!

My 3 year old daughter will be riding everything with us next month. The only rides she is too short for are Primeval Whirl, Rock N Rollercoaster, Everest, Mission: Space, and Space Mountain (about 1 ride per park!). Before she reached 40" it averaged 2-3 rides per park that she couldn't go on.

Now, do you have any kids? Based on your post I'm presuming you don't. Before you have kids you have no idea how much you're going to love your own kids. The minute that baby is born your number 1 desire turns to wanting to show them as much of the world as you possible can. There is no more family friendly place in the world to vacation with a baby or toddler where everyone can have a good time together. There is literally something to do at WDW for EVERY age. When my kids were babies they just loved riding around in their stroller and staring wide eyed at all the stuff at Disney. Heck, I would have skipped all the rides just for the chance to see that enchanted look on their faces! But since Disney is what it is, we've been able to spend quality time together with our kids there and all have a good time regardless of their age.

When you have your first baby, I would love to hear you come back and tell us what an inconvenience it is to have that "sack of potatoes" to lug around. In fact, that description alone of your own child will make you cringe. :animwink:

If you do already have kids, you have a really sorry attitude about raising them. :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
My child never "weighed me down", your life changes when you have a child and you have to refocus your priorities, its called growing up.

Just my POV.

Amen Sista!

Also, regarding the breakdowns, I say this ALL the time around here. If you have a toddler, or heck, even a 5-7 year old, you experience breakdowns on a daily basis. I can be sitting at home on the couch with my kids watching tv and all of a sudden out of no where they will just erupt into the most random tantrums. It's just what kids do. Going to WDW doesn't magically cause your kids to behave every second of the day. You deal with the meltdowns at Disney just like you'd deal with them at home. But honestly, I've gotten through entire days at Disney without a single meltdown in the family, which has NEVER happened at home. They are way too busy having fun to wanna waste their time throwing some kind of tantrum. :lol:

maggiegrace1

*shakes head*

at least you were the one who admitted to being selfish because thats how i took your post...and its your POV and you are entitled to it.

I will say that for every child I've seen having a melt down I've witnessed an adult do the same, and some had no children with them. It happens when you push somebody to their limit and then beyond. No matter what your age, we all get cranky when we are exhausted.

Personally I never minded carrying my child anywhere, thats what a parent does. And I never considered them a hindrance, but a privilege...getting to see the world again thru innocent eyes is something everyone should enjoy.
So I didn't get to see every show or ride every ride, big deal. The look on my child's face at the end of the day meant more to me than anything else...sheer amazement and total enjoyment. We did the late nights too, after taking an afternoon swim and nap so we were all rested and relaxed.

Just my POV.
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

maggiegrace1

Are you kidding me? :ROFLOL:

There's only a few rides that little ones CAN'T go on!

My 3 year old daughter will be riding everything with us next month. The only rides she is too short for are Primeval Whirl, Rock N Rollercoaster, Everest, Mission: Space, and Space Mountain (about 1 ride per park!). Before she reached 40" it averaged 2-3 rides per park that she couldn't go on.

Now, do you have any kids? Based on your post I'm presuming you don't. Before you have kids you have no idea how much you're going to love your own kids. The minute that baby is born your number 1 desire turns to wanting to show them as much of the world as you possible can. There is no more family friendly place in the world to vacation with a baby or toddler where everyone can have a good time together. There is literally something to do at WDW for EVERY age. When my kids were babies they just loved riding around in their stroller and staring wide eyed at all the stuff at Disney. Heck, I would have skipped all the rides just for the chance to see that enchanted look on their faces! But since Disney is what it is, we've been able to spend quality time together with our kids there and all have a good time regardless of their age.

When you have your first baby, I would love to hear you come back and tell us what an inconvenience it is to have that "sack of potatoes" to lug around. In fact, that description alone of your own child will make you cringe. :animwink:

If you do already have kids, you have a really sorry attitude about raising them. :shrug:
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Laura

Premium Member
sbkline, I am surprised to learn that you do have a baby!

I am seriously in shock that you would refer to your own child as something as inconvenient as a sack of potatoes. Why did you even have a kid to begin with if that's the way you feel???

scorp111

It seems Laura, Maggie, Tigsmom, Mousemadness all have my view covered....

Thank you ladies, it is clear that you are all very special mom's to your children!

There isn't a right answer, because everyone is different. My DD (Who will be 4 in July has been to WDW 8 times and DLR once) and DS (15 months, 3 times to WDW, once to DLR) do have a great time, and we have a great time, because we plan around their wants and needs. If we didn't, then we probably wouldn't enjoy it much.

A friend of mine was looking at our pictures from the most recent trip and commented how much fun it looked we were all having .... She is absolutely right! We have a blast, and is that at a different pace than pre-children, or on a trip when we have the built in babysitters (in-laws)? Sure it is, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

JDM

There is such a thing as too young

First post, but longtime reader.

With respect to all posters, it's my opinion that any child who requires a stroller is simply too young. Certainly any child under 2. Not only is it a logistical nightmare, but it's an awful lot of money to spend for a trip that they will not remember.
That's why we waited until my daughter was 5 for her first trip (a few weeks ago at POR). She is now old enough to legitimately remember it and look forward to next time. (She--and we--had an awesome time!)
Again, with respect, I do not buy for an instant that anyone could remember ANYTHING from when they were 6 months old. The human brain just doesn't work that way.

But regardless, I say wait a year or two at least....you'll be MUCH happier!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom