How young is too young ?

maggiegrace1

I do want to say that I am not saying that you should never NOT go without your kids..everyone wants/needs a night out every so often.

My family was with us when we went the first time with Maggie and watched her as we did some rides she could not do..the mountains and all.

I just do not consider her an inconvenience and a problem and think that having her with us makes the trip much more enjoyable.

scorp111

First post, but longtime reader.

With respect to all posters, it's my opinion that any child who requires a stroller is simply too young. Certainly any child under 2. Not only is it a logistical nightmare, but it's an awful lot of money to spend for a trip that they will not remember. That's why we waited until my daughter was 5 for her first trip (a few weeks ago at POR). She is now old enough to legitimately remember it and look forward to next time. (She--and we--had an awesome time!)
Again, with respect, I do not buy for an instant that anyone could remember ANYTHING from when they were 6 months old. The human brain just doesn't work that way.

But regardless, I say wait a year or two at least....you'll be MUCH happier!

This viewpoint is often expressed and I really don't understand it.

So when your children are young, families shouldn't do anything (because the children won't remember it) or just shouldn't do anything expensive?

That is a rhetorical question, and I am not looking for answers here. Everyone has thier own POV and that's why this is a discussion board.:)

I will say this, if I had only planned on one or two trips to WDW for a child, I probably wouldn't take them when they are very young. But who can predict the future either? My DD 1st trip almost 3 years ago, also was my first trip ever to WDW, so I guess nobody could have predicted I would have became so addicted!:ROFLOL:

SallyShine

I don't think you've truely experienced the magic of WDW until you see it through your childs eyes! Just relax, go slow and have fun! The best thing about WDW is how your trips change as the kids get older. Believe it or not, it won't be long until YOU are slowing HER down :animwink:

tigsmom

With respect to all posters, it's my opinion that any child who requires a stroller is simply too young. Certainly any child under 2. Not only is it a logistical nightmare, but it's an awful lot of money to spend for a trip that they will not remember.
That's why we waited until my daughter was 5 for her first trip (a few weeks ago at POR). She is now old enough to legitimately remember it and look forward to next time. (She--and we--had an awesome time!)
Again, with respect, I do not buy for an instant that anyone could remember ANYTHING from when they were 6 months old. The human brain just doesn't work that way.

Sometimes you just have to live in the moment!
ha.gif

I totally respect your opinion (and its very well stated), but would you not take your child to the circus or zoo because they won't remember it later on? I always said I wished we had gone to the circus when I was a kid and my mom would say "you did". I never believed her until I saw the photos...boy was I having a good time! :lol:

My point is this - in today's world where everyone seems to be so rushed that they don't even sit down to eat, its nice to take the time to be together as a family, relax and have some fun. We've done a few things at WDW that I didn't remember until I looked at the photos again, but then again at my advanced age maybe I have other forces working against me.

:lookaroun

As I said in my original post...do what you think is best for your family.

maggiegrace1

With respect to all posters, it's my opinion that any child who requires a stroller is simply too young. Certainly any child under 2. Not only is it a logistical nightmare, ]it's an awful lot of money to spend for a trip that they will not remember.
That's why we waited until my daughter was 5 for her first trip (a few weeks ago at POR). She is now old enough to legitimately remember it and look forward to next time. (She--and we--had an awesome time!)

How?
:shrug:

MouseMadness

No, the taking the kids to school, having 3 dance rehearsals (with pictures) and visiting my grandpa in the hospital yesterday were a logistical nightmare. :lol:

Strollers are just an ankle rammin' good time!! *thumbs* :lol: :lookaroun

Shaman

My husband and I have been to WDW 5 times..on this last trip we created our own little souvenier :sohappy: ..We originally said that we were not going to take her for her first trip til she was 5 years old..we spent 5 years watching parents with small children and nobody seemed to be having any fun :shrug: ..the parents were fighting about different things :brick: the children didn't seem to realize what was going on..almost as if they didn't really understand..they knew that something fuzzy and fun was talking to them, but not what it was :veryconfu ..But now I WANT TO TAKE HER !!! I told my husband I can't wait anymore..I want to plan on taking her next September (2008)..so I wanted opinions from people that have traveled with little kids there..pros and cons..she will be 27 months at that time and want to know if it would be worth it..I think OF COURSE..but a couple of people have told me that I am being selfish and want to go for me not for her :( ...so any opinions..

I say the same thing...but I figure that whenever I get around to having kids...I'll probably be taking them to WDW the next day after they're born. I'd buy all sorts of Disney merch and go to all the meet and greets (this is about the time when those seem to be cool no?) Wouldn't that be the Disney Freak thing to do? :lookaroun :lol:

Honestly though...I think anything younger than 1 is crazy. Especially in the colder and hotter months....mainly for health reasons.

But to each his/her own...I think tigsmom said it best...as long as you know that things will be different if you bring them along then you'll probably be okay.

Can we talk about strollers now? :lookaroun

maggiegrace1

I'm just speculating here, but maybe they mean all the paraphernalia that you have to take when you have a small child in tow...diaper bags, bottles, baby food (if they are at that stage), etc.

Its not easy, but its worth it, IMHO.
Thats what I thought also but you bring that almost everywhere when you take a child somewhere...

We have to take extra when we go with Maggie because of her medical issues..but we just do it and its really not that bad...:shrug:

Like I said in my first post..the two trips with Maggie have been the best trips we have ever had at WDW and it was because she was with us..

MouseMadness

Can we talk about strollers now? :lookaroun

Taken care of, good sir :king: :lol: (See previous post)

:p

Honestly, this is one of those question that I'm not sure why people ask it (but no offense meant ot the OP :eek: ) It's just that only YOU know your temperment and your child's, and only you can determine what is right for you and your family.

I try to not do things that will create reasons to get grouchy with my kids. So I don't keep expensive stuff down where they could ruin it, I don't let them have drinks that will make them hyper, I don't let them play in "good clothes"... you get the picture.

So if I thought taking them to WDW would leave me stewing about how much time/money/effort we were wasting there, I'd obviously not go. But I've never felt anything was "lost" there with them, even our first trip with all 4 girls, when they were ages 8, 5, 3 and 9 months. :lol: Yeah, obviously that trip wasn't about me :lol: But I wouldn't trade it for any amount of trips alone.

LucyintheSky

I haven't read any other replies yet, but I wanted to give you my opinion.

Bring her!

My situation is a bit different, but I've taken my son since he was 2 months old! I live in Orlando. I'm sure that he doesn't remember being there THAT young, but he still liked being outside, seeing all the sights...

Anyway, he's 3 now, and (I know I've mentioned this in other posts) last year I was in Epcot 3-5 days a week. He was with me a lot of those days. And he LOVED it. We mostly watched the British Invasion (that's why he knows all the Beatles songs, hehehe), but I'd also take him on some rides, and we'd walk around, and have so much fun. His "girlfriend" is Alice (as in Wonderland). She would come outside in the UK, and always play with him, and take him in the hedge maze. Actually, now that we are in Pa for awhile, Alice really misses him. In fact, just yesterday, some friends of mine who also frequent the UK called me. They were there, and Alice kept asking to talk to my son, so I gave him the phone, and Alice talked to him. It was so cute!

Going on vacation is different that "living" there, but i think it can be great for younger children and their parents, if you don't push them too much! :p

SpongeScott

No, the taking the kids to school, having 3 dance rehearsals (with pictures) and visiting my grandpa in the hospital yesterday were a logistical nightmare. :lol:

Strollers are just an ankle rammin' good time!! *thumbs* :lol: :lookaroun
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

Best post in the thread.

Laura

Premium Member
It completely astounds me when people say you shouldn't bring a child under 5 to WDW. Boy if you could only see my 2 kids!

My 3 year old, who was 2 last time I took her, sings Disney songs all day long. Not movie songs from TV, but RIDE songs from the parks. She tells me every day how she can't wait to ride Splash Mountain. When she sees pictures from previous trips she smiles ear to ear remembering the fun she had.

My 5 year old (who was 4 last time we went) is an absolute Disney fanatic. He obsessively watches Disney vacation planning videos. He's been singing "yo-ho" since he was 2. He talks about Disney World more than I do.

I try to picture what my life would be like right now if I was still waiting another 2 years before we went to Disney so that my daughter would be the magical age of 5. I can't picture it. Some of my best memories ever were of taking my children to WDW when they were little.

The only thing better than experiencing the parks yourself is watching your children experience them. And yeah those little legs need a break from walking 12 miles a day, that's why they invented strollers. So a child who needs a stroller shouldn't be allowed the fun of a vacation to WDW to meet Mickey Mouse? Are you kidding me!

I just don't get the logic. It can't be that my 2 kids are the only 2 kids under the age of 6 who are in total love with Walt Disney World. :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
I do want to add though, that yes, taking kids in diapers to WDW can definitely be a logistical nightmare. You have no idea the amount of cleverness I had to come up with to make all of our previous trips work out. It was a lot of trial and error and the first time we did it was a learning experience, but it made all of the subsequent trips so much easier.

This trip next month will be the first trip where my kids won't need strollers (not the whole time anyway) and diaper bags and that will just add to the fun!

I think that if you are ready, you should take your baby. IMO, when you see parents and kids fighting at WDW there probably were lofty expectations as to how their trip was going to go.
Sure you won't be able to go on all the rides, at least not as the same time as your husband. But, you get to experience a different side of disney that you maybe didn't get to before. More time to mosey around and maybe see things you never saw before. i think there is something to be said about a leisure trip to wdw. We went when i was 6 months pregnant with my son and i still had fun. hubby got to do all the rides with our dd and i got to putz around. really quite nice.
our son will be making his 1st disney debut in october at 14 months and if i could have i would have brought him sooner.

i think as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations for your trip, than you will be absoluely fine. have fun. :wave:

I just don't get the logic. It can't be that my 2 kids are the only 2 kids under the age of 6 who are in total love with Walt Disney World. :shrug:

you are not alone. we are currenly watching handy manny, later when we go get lunch we will be listening to our disney cd's in the car, specifically anything mary poppins related, and later on dd will probably be watching toy story 2. EVERY SINGLE MORNING we must, i repeat must watch mickey mouse clubhouse or it is disasterous.

i have left my kids home one time each: dd was 3 months and ds was 5 months. never again shall i leave my children behind. i agree with your earlier post that traveling with diapered tots can be challenging, but it's not as if it is an unforeseen circumstance. you can make arrangements, and if diapers and strollers are peoples reasons for not taking little ones, than i think that some people could be missing the reason for wdw:Family.

i really am not trying to be argumentitive.:kiss:

Shaman

It completely astounds me when people say you shouldn't bring a child under 5 to WDW. Boy if you could only see my 2 kids!

Laura, I think most people (especially those without children) notice a lot of cranky kids at the world who are really young and don't seem to be enjoying themselves. Since they are louder and more obvious, people notice them more. I know I do. So we the people, of the childless segment of the population, sort of become intimidated and/or realize that maybe a trip with really young children will be more stressful for all those involved...and will thus be a waste. I think it is a fair observation....you certainly can't enjoy the parks the same way with little ones...it is different (a difference that most people won't realize or understand [even fear] until they find themselves in that situation).....

You see a parent get up with a screaming child in one the show and say, "That will never be me"....:shrug:

Excuse our ingnorance. :eek:

AMATHIEU

i think you should take your daughter but be prepared. the days are longer with kids and yes you can't always stay awake for fireworks or pleasure island but you get to enjoy disney in a whole new way. i have 2 boys and have been taking them every year since the first one was 2. i was hesitant to bring the younger one last year when he was 9 months old. i found i was able to ride most of the rides and my husband took my older son (then 4) on the bigger rides. i enjoyed taking a break during the afternoon for naps...didn't do that when we would go without kids. i love to see thier faces when i tell them we're going or when we walk into the parks for the first time. they both love to look at disney photos. we're leaving again in 10 days and my youngest is only 20 months now. not sure how he'll do in lines but hoping he does good. when people complain of young kids in the park i get mad because it's one of the few places you shouldn't feel bad about bringing young children. it's disney....it was built for families....not just ones with older kids. you can't make a 10 year old believe in the disney magic the way you can a toddler. that alone is worth taking them for.

raremerebear

We've gone every year since our 2 sons were born, they're now 4 & 2. It's so amazing to see the parks through their eyes. The pics & memories we have are something we treasure, and I can't imagine ever going without them!

Laura22 that's so funny your 2 year old sings Yo Ho, mine does the same thing and talks about "Capn Jack Parrow" - must be universal kid stuff :ROFLOL:

And I think it's all the little stuff, too. We can be sitting at home and if it's Buzz Lightyear or Peter Pan on YouTube they ask when we're going back and if they can ride the rides again. Or Spectromagic or Fantasmic - those things just awe them. The character dinners & MVMCP, there's just so much magic for them!!!! I really believe they remember the fun & happiness, or the emotions that went with it b/c I see it everyday in them whether we're watching our planning dvd, or the Travel Channel, or we take a day trip to Downtown Disney. It's such a great time for our family and nothing else seems to really pull the heartstrings like Disney does. At least for us anyway :sohappy:

Laura

Premium Member
Laura, I think most people (especially those without children) notice a lot of cranky kids at the world who are really young and don't seem to be enjoying themselves. Since they are louder and more obvious, people notice them more. I know I do.

Seems like a fair observation. But next time, look for kids like mine that are all caught up in the magic. Sometimes Dylan actually starts trembling because he's so overwhelmed with how excited he is. :lol: Maybe these kids that are having fun ARE being overshadowed by the ones that aren't because they don't cause as much of a fuss, but they are still out there. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom