How California theme parks will enforce out-of-state visitors ban - OCR/SCNG

MarvelCharacterNerd

What's interesting here is that this would seem to be a perfect example of how the once-touted but now-ignored Western States Pact could respond accordingly and allow the West Coast states to act in coordination for their important tourism industries.

What's the Western States Pact, you ask? It got lost in the panic and frenzy of last spring, but it was ostensibly a new system agreed to by the three West Coast Governors; Governor Inslee of Washington, Governor Brown of Oregon, and Governor Newsom (for now) of California. All of those governors are Democrats, so they all speak the same language and get paid by the same lobbyists.

From Wikipedia...
In announcing the Western States Pact on April 13, 2020, California, Oregon and Washington governors Gavin Newsom, Kate Brown, and Jay Inslee jointly announced that "COVID-19 doesn’t follow state or national boundaries. It will take every level of government, working together, and a full picture of what’s happening on the ground."

So, what happened to that cool kids club? Why would California be implementing travel restrictions on neighboring states that have far less Covid transmission, far less deaths, and higher vaccination rates? Why would Sacramento decree that dirty Oregonians and Washingtonians aren't allowed to come to California and go to Disneyland?

Not allowing Western States Pact residents into Disneyland makes no sense, and it's clearly not based on the science and data.

March 16th, 2021 Covid Science & Data

California = 91,835 Cases Per 100K, 1,421 Deaths Per 1 Million, 10.5% Fully Vaccinated
Oregon = 37,947 Cases Per 100K, 556 Deaths Per 1 Million, 12.3% Fully Vaccinated
Washington = 46,534 Cases Per 100K, 684 Deaths Per 1 Million, 12.8% Fully Vaccinated

I was trying to explain to someone the new rules and restrictions, but once I got through 'if you live in Vegas, you can visit Downtown Disney but not Disneyland' and 'you can eat indoors in Downtown Disney but not in Disneyland' - they looked so confused that I just said 'forget it - the science and data will change again next week anyway so it won't be an issue'. ;)

cmwade77

I was trying to explain to someone the new rules and restrictions, but once I got through 'if you live in Vegas, you can visit Downtown Disney but not Disneyland' and 'you can eat indoors in Downtown Disney but not in Disneyland' - they looked so confused that I just said 'forget it - the science and data will change again next week anyway so it won't be an issue'. ;)
Well, by the time they open, Orange County will definitely be in Orange Tier and possibly even Yellow Tier, especially if we hit 4 million vaccines in the hardest hit zip codes, so indoor dining should be ok inside theme parks.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Made my SFMM reservation for April 1st.

They asked for my zip code and placed this statement on the Reservations page...

>>According to the State of California requirements, only ‘in-state visitors’ may make a purchase and/or reservation at the current time. By proceeding with the ticket and/or reservation, you confirm that you and your guests live in the state of California. Proof of residency may be required upon entrance.<<

ToTBellHop

Made my SFMM reservation for April 1st.

They asked for my zip code and placed this statement on the Reservations page...

>>According to the State of California requirements, only ‘in-state visitors’ may make a purchase and/or reservation at the current time. By proceeding with the ticket and/or reservation, you confirm that you and your guests live in the state of California. Proof of residency may be required upon entrance.<<
Ten Schrute bucks say they’ll “forget” to ask for ID...

TP2000

I tried to explain it to someone in San Diego last weekend who has out-of-state relatives visiting this summer. They looked at me like I was nuts and making it all up.

Fortunately, they got on their phone before I could and confirmed it for themselves and then just said quietly "Oh my God". None of it makes any sense to the average, normal person.

But then, so much of what happens in California makes so little sense now. Like today's piece of news...

The roar of the crowds is muted this spring, as high school sports continue their return to Southern California.

There are a handful of spectators in the stands, sometimes in assigned seating, always 6 feet apart.

But under new state guidance, there are no cheerleaders on the sidelines at games.

“Football players are allowed on the field with no masks, but cheerleaders are not,” Riverside mother Allison Yrungaray said. “It just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.”

Cheerleaders and their parents had expected cheerleading — officially recognized as a high school sport in 2016, when Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law to that effect — to be among the sports that could return to a somewhat normal state as counties moved into the less-restrictive red coronavirus tier.

Figments Friend

If they spot a twinge of a Boston accent at the turnstile and turn you away, I can direct you to the most convenient monorail beams along Harbor Blvd.

Conveniently, they aren't far from Mimi's Cafe, so you could have a nice breakfast first.

Amazing as it may be to beleive, I do not have a accent.
I have fooled many a person I have met in my travels as they cannot guess what part of the country I am from....only that I 'sound educated'.

I've had Cast and fellow Guests ask me even at DLR in the past 'so where are you from' and none of them believed me when I said 'Boston area'.
The looks on some of the faces....priceless.
They honestly couldn't believe it.

I learned many years ago to drop the 'local accent' and blend in.
Learned it as a 'survival tactic' as a kid when I lived in rural Florida in the early 1980s.
Back then, their was quite a bit of personal discrimination if they heard your 'Yankee accent'.
So I dropped it quick.
It also helped that I watched a lot of 70s 'Doctor Who'.
;)
Also, I do voicework and ran my own entertainment enterprise for about 35 years.
And the first rule in entertainment voicework is lose the regional accent.
But it's also a odd habit that I pick up whatever accents I'm hearing....I was really sounding educated after my two trips to London!

Anyway, getting back on topic -

I'm buying tickets and 'sneaking in'.
With no 'Boston accent', and my Tony Baxter Fan Club Membership Card I shared a while back I'm a shoo in for sure if I have to cross the turnstiles.
Maybe I will get bold and do a live webcast and try out my incognito 'Lifstyler Vlogging' skills?
Hey, maybe that's the best way to sneak in.....just pretend to be some bubbly 'vlogger" and .....

No, I like my plan better.
Nobody will know....except you guys!

;)

-

Last edited:

TP2000

I have fooled many a person I have met in my travels as they cannot guess what part of the country I am from....only that I 'sound educated'.

I've had Cast and fellow Guests ask me even at DLR in the past 'so where are you from' and none of them believed me when I said 'Boston area'.

Learned it as a 'survival tactic' as a kid when I lived in rural Florida in the early 1980s.
Back then, their was quite a bit of personal discrimination if they heard your 'Yankee accent'.
So I dropped it quick.
;)
Also, I do voicework and ran my own entertainment enterprise for about 35 years.
But it's also a odd habit that I pick up whatever accents I'm hearing....I was really sounding educated after my two trips to London!

With no 'Boston accent', and my Tony Baxter Fan Club Membership Card I shared a while back I'm a shoo in for sure if I have to cross the turnstiles.
Maybe I will get bold and do a live webcast and try out my incognito 'Lifstyler Vlogging' skills?
Hey, maybe that's the best way to sneak in.....just pretend to be some bubbly 'vlogger" and .....

;)

-

Ah, so you have a stylish combination of Mid Atlantic and Local TV Newscaster accent. I love that!

It won't be too hard to sneak around this "Tourists Not Welcome!" mandate from Sacramento, but I like that you are determined.

But... I was kind of looking forward to a new hobby of directing tourists to the best monorail beams to climb in order to sneak into the park. I shouldn't be too sad, as that probably wasn't going to end well anyway. :confused:

MarvelCharacterNerd

From Deadline today:
“We’re anticipating within five-and-a-half weeks where we can eliminate all of the tiering,” said California Governor Gavin Newsom on Friday

I rest my case. ;)

Sailor310

So I dropped it quick.
;)

;)

-
We won't tell anyone. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
From Deadline today:

I rest my case. ;)
Ah, 5 and a half weeks, right about the time that all 58 counties have verified the Recall signatures.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that according to the CDC today that Californians over the age of 65 is now over 70% having received at least the first dose. And over 41% fully vaccinated, which in the next 5 weeks will likely be up over 70% as well meaning herd immunity among that critical population, and a critical milestone. I'm sure it has nothing to do with that actual fact. :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

This refers to tiering for vaccine groups like 1A, 1B etc., right? Not the Blueprint For A Safer Economy tiers?
Correct. With that said, we will run out of willing adults to vaccinate at the current pace by mid-June (and we are expecting the pace to accelerate, pushing that up toward Memorial Day). I can’t imagine restrictions lasting much beyond that.

Last edited:

disneylandtour

The context for that quote is the grouping for those eligible for vaccine--not the colored tiers for various business and social restrictions. Admittedly it was poorly worded. And if you take it out of context it means something other than what it means in context.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom