How accurate is the Jim Hill report that the Dreamfinder may return to Figment?

Captain Chaos

TAC said:
Rosie O'Donnel and Ann Heche

:hurl:

I rather spin and puke from M:S than see them..... I was thinking more along the lines of... Jessica Alba, Natalie Portman, Angelia Jolie and that former Cinderella now a Playboy Playmate... yea.. those 4 would be one heck of a thrill ride attraction...

WOW totally veered off topic....

wannab@dis

marni1971 said:
I`d hope it will be a giant leap forward; only going back to bring Dreamfinder and upstairs back from the past. I bet we don`t get it, but imagine a DF A-100 animatronic :D

I`d like to think it more using the basis of the original attraction concept but with todays technology and an up to date story - kind of Philharmagic with Mickey compared to Steamboat Willie.
No, not the same thing at all. We're talking about a single character that actually wasn't liked by a lot of poeple and most of the rest just don't care. Comparing dreamfinder to Mickey Mouse is a little out there. :rolleyes:

Like I said... I'll wait and see. Maybe I'll be surprised.

wannab@dis

ASJHLJ said:
I can see where you are coming from. This may not be a move backwards though. Dreamfinder can be inserted in yet another update of the dark ride that's different from the original version. Its a tricky calculus, this business of entertaining people in theme parks. I have a feeling this pavilion change may in part be due to guest comments. Many of the non-Disney addicts that I have accompanied to EPCOT in the last decade have commented or mentioned that they remembered the Imagination pavilion (ride and all) as being better, even if they couldn't recall the specifics of what was there. I've actually not been a big fan of any of the versions of the dark ride at the imagination pavilion, so like you, I'm taking a wait and see attitude.
I like the current version better than either of the previous two. However, it's still at the bottom of the current Epcot attractions. I'd rather them take a whole new approach. A fresh and creative approach instead of dragging out and dusting off the bearded one.

Captain Chaos

wannab@dis said:
I like the current version better than either of the previous two. However, it's still at the bottom of the current Epcot attractions. I'd rather them take a whole new approach. A fresh and creative approach instead of dragging out and dusting off the bearded one.

I can see where you are coming from.. But how do you know their isnt a new creative approach to this attraction? Guess we'll just have to wait until an announcement...

goofntink

Okay here we go,

If project is approved, time frame for re-hab is 8 months. Pavillion reopen would coincide with Epcot 25th next year.

Ride rehab to include Figment and Dreamfinder.New ride to utilize current track for extension of show time.Imagination Institute scrapped.

Magic Eye Theater: Current film scrapped, All references to Imagination Institute removed.New Figment and Dreamfinder film to be shown in theater. Utilization of dimensional effects and special effects similar to It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Current Imageworks and Kodak What-if Labs scrapped for new queue area.Previous Imageworks in Upstairs location updated and reopened.

Walk around Figment character no longer shown. Casting for costumed CM for new Dreamfinder carrying normal Figment.

Figments Place rehabed for Figment/Dreamfinder meet and greet.

Pavillion to receive repaint to match original color schemes. All Imagination Institute theming removed. Main themig to feature all aspects pertaining to Figment and Dreamfinder.

Note: Pavillion currently on schedule for Maintenance rehab closure. Based on possibility of project approval falling on or near rehab dates.Pavillion would not reopen until project is completed.

Iakona

wannab@dis said:
No, not the same thing at all. We're talking about a single character that actually wasn't liked by a lot of poeple and most of the rest just don't care. Comparing dreamfinder to Mickey Mouse is a little out there. :rolleyes:

I think you misinderstood. The comparision was the technology; not the characters.

wannab@dis

dxer07002 said:
I can see where you are coming from.. But how do you know their isnt a new creative approach to this attraction? Guess we'll just have to wait until an announcement...
I don't know that it won't be a creative use of something old, but reusing a character that was removed doesn't seem like much of a 'spark'. ;) As I've stated, I'll wait and see. I'm all for change and updates and will be looking forward to the outcome.

wannab@dis

Iakona said:
I think you misinderstood. The comparision was the technology; not the characters.
uhmm... no, I don't think so.

New technology for a great and loved character like Mickey Mouse is much different from anything they could ever do with dreamfinder. Figment, maybe, but even that's stretching it.

wannab@dis

goofntink said:
Okay here we go,

If project is approved, time frame for re-hab is 8 months. Pavillion reopen would coincide with Epcot 25th next year.

Ride rehab to include Figment and Dreamfinder.New ride to utilize current track for extension of show time.Imagination Institute scrapped.

Magic Eye Theater: Honey I Shrunk the Audience scrapped All references to Imagination Institute removed.New Figment and Dreamfinder film to be shown in theater. Utilization of dimensional effects and special effects similar to It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Current Imageworks and Kodak What-if Labs scrapped for new queue area.Previous Imageworks in Upstairs location updated and reopened.

Walk around Figment character no longer shown. Casting for costumed CM for new Dreamfinder carrying normal Figment.

Pavillion to receive repaint to match original color schemes. All Imagination Institute theming removed. Main themig to feature all aspects pertaining to Figment and Dreamfinder
:veryconfu That seems like major work to get done in 8 months.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
wannab@dis said:

Like I said... I'll wait and see. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Sorry, Dreamfinder was liked by everyone I know who knew him. You misunderstood me - I wasn`t comparing DF to Mickey; more the technology used in Philharmagic to present Mickey to guests compared to the technology of Steamboat Willie. That`s what I`d hope to see in Imagination v4; an old charecter, but presented in a modern way.

God, for someone with THE mouse on his shoulder I wouldn`t compare Mickey to anything :D

wannab@dis

marni1971 said:
Sorry, Dreamfinder was liked by everyone I know who knew him. You misunderstood me - I wasn`t comparing DF to Mickey; more the technology used in Philharmagic to present Mickey to guests compared to the technology of Steamboat Willie. That`s what I`d hope to see in Imagination v4; an old charecter, but presented in a modern way.

God, for someone with THE mouse on his shoulder I wouldn`t compare Mickey to anything :D
You're missing my point. Why throw technology at attempting to revive a minor character? I understand that you feel the new technology will make all the difference in the world, but I don't think so.

I'll ignore your last statement. :wave:

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:
Why throw technology at attempting to revive a minor character?
For me, the issue isn't the character, minor or otherwise. What I want to know is whether the pavillion will once again truly speak to and inspire us to embrace the power of imagination. Though my young children love the current ride, I cannot help but wonder "What's the point?" The point doesn't seem to be imagination. And I don't remember having those thoughts with the first incarnation of the ride.

This speaks to the philosophical change that I believe has happened at Epcot over the past decade. While I appreciate and enjoy TT, M:S, and Soarin, IMO those attractions are more about having an experience rather than engaging the intellect. My hope is that any change at Imagination Pavillion will provide an equal measure of both.

As for DF, I could care less whether he returns or not. He initially came about, I guess, because another character hadn't been created that so embodied the idea of imagination. If they can take that character and present it with new technologies and all the while provide an engaging and enlightening experience, I'm fine with it. If they can do the same without him, that's fine, too. I just want the ride to be worth my time and be an enriching experience.

wannab@dis

PintoColvig said:
For me, the issue isn't the character, minor or otherwise. What I want to know is whether the pavillion will once again truly speak to and inspire us to embrace the power of imagination. Though my young children love the current ride, I cannot help but wonder "What's the point?" The point doesn't seem to be imagination. And I don't remember having those thoughts with the first incarnation of the ride.

This speaks to the philosophical change that I believe has happened at Epcot over the past decade. While I appreciate and enjoy TT, M:S, and Soarin, IMO those attractions are more about having an experience rather than engaging the intellect. My hope is that any change at Imagination Pavillion will provide an equal measure of both.

As for DF, I could care less whether he returns or not. He initially came about, I guess, because another character hadn't been created that so embodied the idea of imagination. If they can take that character and present it with new technologies and all the while provide an engaging and enlightening experience, I'm fine with it. If they can do the same without him, that's fine, too. I just want the ride to be worth my time and be an enriching experience.
Unfortunately, enriching experiences and engaging the intellect is not what most guests appear to want now. One of the biggest problems that EPCOT had was shedding the previous incarnation and embracing a new feel and presentation. So far, the new feel has brought back the visitors and Epcot is now thriving.

I believe they have more to do and the latest updates at TLS is another step in the right direction. I'm a little worried that this latest news about IMAG is not. However, I could be wrong and it turn out to be a wonderful complement to the new Epcot.

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:
Unfortunately, enriching experiences and engaging the intellect is not what most guests appear to want now. One of the biggest problems that EPCOT had was shedding the previous incarnation and embracing a new feel and presentation. So far, the new feel has brought back the visitors and Epcot is now thriving.

I believe they have more to do and the latest updates at TLS is another step in the right direction. I'm a little worried that this latest news about IMAG is not. However, I could be wrong and it turn out to be a wonderful complement to the new Epcot.
I'm not convinced that something that engages the intellect has to be boring. I believe that with imagination it is possible to create a thrilling experience that also educates. A great example of this is Turtle Talk. It is educational but it also entertaining enough for people to wait in a long line to see it. And SSE continues to be the most visited attraction in Epcot (admittedly in part because it is inside the park's icon) and this is very much an enriching experience that engages the intellect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against improving the feel and presentation of attractions. And, I love the latest E-Ticket additions to Epcot. I'm just advocating for attractions that are not "dumbed down" and whose point is only a sensory experience and nothing more. Attractions that operate on multiple levels of experience are what do it most for me. And if that means reviving and improving on an old concept such as DF or even the SeaCabs then by all means do it. But the current Figment ride is insulting in light of what it used to be.

Buford

goofntink said:
Okay here we go,

Magic Eye Theater: Current film scrapped, All references to Imagination Institute removed.New Figment and Dreamfinder film to be shown in theater. Utilization of dimensional effects and special effects similar to It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Pavillion to receive repaint to match original color schemes. All Imagination Institute theming removed. Main themig to feature all aspects pertaining to Figment and Dreamfinder.

Note: Pavillion currently on schedule for Maintenance rehab closure. Based on possibility of project approval falling on or near rehab dates.Pavillion would not reopen until project is completed.
8 months seems so short....they would have to work hard and fast! My fear is that this will be the "major update" for Imag that can't be changed for 10+ years......they should go all out and give construction the time it needs to make something truly great.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom