How accurate is the Jim Hill report that the Dreamfinder may return to Figment?

FigmentJedi

I think the Goelz voice is okay for a substitute for Billy Barty. I've gotten very used to it now, it's the voice I have in my mind, though just a pinch deeper, whenever I write Figment's dialogue within the fanfiction stories I've been working on. Dave and Ron should be Fig and DF in the new version, would be MUCH better then say, Disney getting Jeff Bennett to try and do the voices.

Figments Friend

SirNim said:
Agreed...

Shame Disney can't salvage bits and pieces of Barty's recording sessions for a possible new reincarnation of the attraction like they (supposedly) did with Donald Duck (Nash) for Philharmagic...

We think alike Sir Nim...funny you should mention this as when i originally posted the above comments i was thinking of this in the back of my mind! :animwink:

It would be SO neat if some outtakes were salvaged from Billy's recording tapes and spliced bits were added into the new version of the attraction. That would be a wonderful "in-joke" for the die hard Journey fans like me, as well as a nice nod to Epcot's glorious past.

I suppose to do such a thing, if such tapes exsist, Disney would need to secure right from his estate/family?

Thinking more about this gets me excited....as i would LOVE to here him again in the attraction. He is the one and ONLY "Figment" as when he spoke the lines in his vocal tones, the character really seemed to have a lot a added soul. Maybe this is what i am trying to get at....Billy's voice added some "Soul" to Figment while the later versions, though decent, did'nt really convey that as far as voicework goes.

Make sense to anyone? I listen to the JII ride loops almost daily ( told you i was a serious Journey fan...lol! ) and i'm tellin' you, Billy had THE VOICE.

Such a pity he is no longer with us to record some new material. Can you just imagine if he WAS and Disney was really serious this time around about fixing Journey? Imagine this: Billy appears at a nice re-opening ceremony!!! And ...wait for it...........

........Dreamfinder steps out from nowhere and cuts the ribbon! Yes!!

Better yet....he along with Billy and the imagineers ride through the new attraction first! Woo hoo...it would be great!

Ohhhkkaaaayyyyy.........i'll come back down the reality now. :lol:

jedimaster1227

Definately agree with ya Jedi. Most of my favorite rides are the super old dark rides where you really can't possibly to expect to see every little detail...unless you ride it like 84,000 times in one day. I adore Epcot, but it's not as... hmmm what's the word i'm looking for?... you don't get that feeling really of an exploring child. When I go through say, HM and see something new, I get the big eyes and the smile and it's like seeing something brand new for the first time. At Epcot it's more of the "Ok we're here! Time to shop!" :hammer:

I just feel like they could do so much more to make the rides more friendly to the people who visit the parks more that once in a lifetime. There isn't much there for us right now other than the regular attractions...

Figments Friend said:
We think alike Sir Nim...funny you should mention this as when i originally posted the above comments i was thinking of this in the back of my mind! :animwink:

It would be SO neat if some outtakes were salvaged from Billy's recording tapes and spliced bits were added into the new version of the attraction. That would be a wonderful "in-joke" for the die hard Journey fans like me, as well as a nice nod to Epcot's glorious past.

I suppose to do such a thing, if such tapes exsist, Disney would need to secure right from his estate/family?

Thinking more about this gets me excited....as i would LOVE to here him again in the attraction. He is the one and ONLY "Figment" as when he spoke the lines in his vocal tones, the character really seemed to have a lot a added soul. Maybe this is what i am trying to get at....Billy's voice added some "Soul" to Figment while the later versions, though decent, did'nt really convey that as far as voicework goes.

Make sense to anyone? I listen to the JII ride loops almost daily ( told you i was a serious Journey fan...lol! ) and i'm tellin' you, Billy had THE VOICE.

Such a pity he is no longer with us to record some new material. Can you just imagine if he WAS and Disney was really serious this time around about fixing Journey? Imagine this: Billy appears at a nice re-opening ceremony!!! And ...wait for it...........

........Dreamfinder steps out from nowhere and cuts the ribbon! Yes!!

Better yet....he along with Billy and the imagineers ride through the new attraction first! Woo hoo...it would be great!

Ohhhkkaaaayyyyy.........i'll come back down the reality now. :lol:

That would be a dream re-opening! But, if the rehab gets greenlit, then the pavilion will be reopened and rededicated on October 1st, 2007 (Epcot's 25th Anniversary-to the day).

I expect Iger to come and cut the rope and present a speech about the Dreamfinder being the spokesperson of Epcot's 25th. But that is just my prediction for actions made after the pavilion is opened.

Enderikari

jedimaster1227 said:
That would be a dream re-opening! But, if the rehab gets greenlit, then the pavilion will be reopened and rededicated on October 1st, 2007 (Epcot's 25th Anniversary-to the day).

I expect Iger to come and cut the rope and present a speech about the Dreamfinder being the spokesperson of Epcot's 25th. But that is just my prediction for actions made after the pavilion is opened.

Riiiiiggggghhhhhhtttttttt...... Cause that's the face that Disney wants to present as a media darling... An unknown, unloved creepy uncle-looking character. I fully expect that Dream Finder, IF he makes a "triumphant" return to the attraction, to be pretty much unheralded... However, I have extreme doubts as to whether or not the scary guy will be coming back with the new update.

FigmentJedi

Maybe one of the reasons that people think Dreamfinder looks unsettling is that he has a strong resemblance to Mr. Dark from Something Wicked This Way Comes. It may be a obscure Disney movie, but the whole premise of the Mr. Dark character (a evil soul stealing carnie), yet having a seperate character from a wholly seperate Disney production that looks like him seems really awkward.
See for yourself in the Ultimate Disney review of the DVD release of Something Wicked: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/something.html
Give him a blue suit, a rounder face and a thicker red beard and he looks like someone familiar...

jedimaster1227

Tahu said:
Maybe one of the reasons that people think Dreamfinder looks unsettling is that he has a strong resemblance to Mr. Dark from Something Wicked This Way Comes. It may be a obscure Disney movie, but the whole premise of the Mr. Dark character (a evil soul stealing carnie), yet having a seperate character from a wholly seperate Disney production that looks like him seems really awkward.
See for yourself in the Ultimate Disney review of the DVD release of Something Wicked: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/something.html
Give him a blue suit, a rounder face and a thicker red beard and he looks like someone familiar...

I didn't even know that! Wow, it does have a slightly scary resemblance! :eek:

Anyways, the Dreamfinder isn't a new face to the members that ceremonies like Epcot's 25th target. The people interested in events like these are Disney Fans and long-time followers. The Dreamfinder is a face from the past that could lead Epcot's future. Iger will exploit this (which is a good thing).

MiklCraw4d

umm...

wannab@dis said:
You're missing my point. Why throw technology at attempting to revive a minor character? I understand that you feel the new technology will make all the difference in the world, but I don't think so.

Yes, why attempt to revive a minor character? Why try to bring back something loved and remembered by a generation of fans? Why do anything new at all? Heck, why even keep the park open? Why get out of bed tomorrow morning?

Why? Because it's an awesome idea. Because it was once a great, fantastically conceived and executed ride that did some really innovative things (for the time) and was brilliantly designed. Because they replaced a ride that had a legion of fans with a ride that was so universally derided that it had to close almost immediately. Because even then, the fix was at most cosmetic and still doesn't address the core failures of the rehab.

Why? Because when you combine the concepts underlying the original JII ride with the possibilities afforded by modern show technologies the possibilities are endless. And that's a damn sight more appealing to me than being farted on by a skunk.

m.c.

ps. any movement on greenlight rumours for this upgrade? i need me some pin screens and i needs them now...

MiklCraw4d

mousermerf said:
Anywho.. back to blue and light the bloody pyramids so they actually show up at night :)

Amen to that. The pavilion used to be beautiful and now it looks like... umm... something not beautiful. Light that sucker up and I'll chip in for some Windex...

wannab@dis

MiklCraw4d said:
Yes, why attempt to revive a minor character? Why try to bring back something loved and remembered by a generation of fans? Why do anything new at all? Heck, why even keep the park open? Why get out of bed tomorrow morning?

You really need to go back and read all the posts. Bringing back a character is NOT anything new. I'm all for doing something new, not recycling a less than great character. Your assertion that DF is "loved by a generation" is a major stretch. :wave:

jedimaster1227

wannab@dis said:
You really need to go back and read all the posts. Bringing back a character is NOT anything new. I'm all for doing something new, not recycling a less than great character. Your assertion that DF is "loved by a generation" is a major stretch. :wave:

Not loved by a generation, but loved by many and almost all who met him.

jedimaster1227

wannab@dis said:
Not quite... ;)

The passionate fans of DF seem to have a problem with reality. :lol:

Whatever man, you need to lay off those who actually care about things like this. If it doesn't interest you, then why put in your input? I don't mean to sound rude but I just feel that you are being a little mean about something that some people are passionate about.

Anyways, I feel that if this redo does happen, it will be for the better, but it will only be amazing if done right.

wannab@dis

jedimaster1227 said:
Whatever man, you need to lay off those who actually care about things like this. If it doesn't interest you, then why put in your input? I don't mean to sound rude but I just feel that you are being a little mean about something that some people are passionate about.

Anyways, I feel that if this redo does happen, it will be for the better, but it will only be amazing if done right.
"Done right" is extremely subjective and it has been noted many times that the ones that complain about changes are a relative minority that try to have the loudest voice. Just because I don't agree with your assertions doesn't mean that my voice doesn't count. I'll add my input on any topic and I hope you will do the same. I'm not scared of opposing viewpoints, so why are you? Maybe the fact that you are scared that I'm right is the problem. :D

Skippy

jedimaster1227 said:
I am thinking that if WDI is planning a redo of Imagination it better be done right. They've already had their share of guest complaints to last a few ride's lives.

jedimaster1227

wannab@dis said:
"Done right" is extremely subjective and it has been noted many times that the ones that complain about changes are a relative minority that try to have the loudest voice. Just because I don't agree with your assertions doesn't mean that my voice doesn't count. I'll add my input on any topic and I hope you will do the same. I'm not scared of opposing viewpoints, so why are you? Maybe the fact that you are scared that I'm right is the problem. :D

I think it is fair to share your opinion, just not fair to knock people who believe in something, even if they are a minority. Voicing our opinions to Disney has worked in the past (Figment is back because the people who were dedicated enough to stand for what they believed in were there).

You could be right, but you could be wrong. That is the purpose of a forum, for others to politely discuss their views on subjects like this.

Well, think about it this way, would you rather ride a ride that is innovative and fun or a ride that is dry, annoying, stinky and cheap? Subjective as it may be, you still have to realize that this new version of the ride isn't viewed as a success by Disney or the fans.

We will just have to see what kind of news is announced tomorrow at the "special" conference. If I end up going, I will tell you all about it! :wave:

wannab@dis

jedimaster1227 said:
I think it is fair to share your opinion, just not fair to knock people who believe in something, even if they are a minority. Voicing our opinions to Disney has worked in the past (Figment is back because the people who were dedicated enough to stand for what they believed in were there).

You could be right, but you could be wrong. That is the purpose of a forum, for others to politely discuss their views on subjects like this.

Well, think about it this way, would you rather ride a ride that is innovative and fun or a ride that is dry, annoying, stinky and cheap? Subjective as it may be, you still have to realize that this new version of the ride isn't viewed as a success by Disney or the fans.

We will just have to see what kind of news is announced tomorrow at the "special" conference. If I end up going, I will tell you all about it! :wave:
Annoying, Stinky and Cheap, huh? Nah... I still like the latest version better than the previous ones. While others share a different view, nobody here knows the actual popularity of either version.

As I've said numerous times, I'm all for an update to the attraction. If it's better, great... if not, then at least they tried. However, I'm not so sure that bringing back DF is a means to an end. You don't like the latest version, but yet it uses a recycled minor character. So, basically your hypothesis of character reuse equals great attraction is negated.

One more thing... IF they bring back DF and change the attraction and you don't like it, I hope that you will acknowledge my simple point... A single character does not make a successful attraction. :wave:

Captain Chaos

Wannabe.. how can we gauge the popularity of the current version of JII? By the size of the lines? By the amount of people that ride it? Well, if we were going by that, then the ride is not popular at all... Truth be told, my last 3 trips, my friend and I were the only 2 on the ride.. No one ahead of us or behind us... The CMs looked bored... With the crowd that HISTA pulls in, one would think there would be more riders...

I will state that I am happier and do enjoy this version better than the 2nd version... However, I do love the original... And if there is a refurb coming up, I hope it plusses the current attraction, not replace it with a less enjoyable one...

wannab@dis

dxer07002 said:
Wannabe.. how can we gauge the popularity of the current version of JII? By the size of the lines? By the amount of people that ride it? Well, if we were going by that, then the ride is not popular at all... Truth be told, my last 3 trips, my friend and I were the only 2 on the ride.. No one ahead of us or behind us... The CMs looked bored... With the crowd that HISTA pulls in, one would think there would be more riders...

I will state that I am happier and do enjoy this version better than the 2nd version... However, I do love the original... And if there is a refurb coming up, I hope it plusses the current attraction, not replace it with a less enjoyable one...
The lifetime of the original appears to be better than the current version, however, both attractions lost the ability to "pull in the crowds" in their last days. Further, the initial attraction didn't have the competition of several major attractions as the current version. I would hazard a guess that if the original was still around, the lines would be just as empty.

I hope any changes will bring in the crowds and will be an enjoyable experience. Even though I like the current version, I've always looked forward to changes and will do so this time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom