Hollywood Studios entertainment overhaul

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
How's that?

'Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise, good solid rides, but overdue for replacement''?

My personal opinion is that stage shows that take place in a theater are something that need to be changed somewhat frequently. Rides are obviously different, as they require ride systems, animatronics, and physical sets. Shows by their very nature of using live actors are easily updatable. This makes them ideal candidates to be changed around to give the Studios new attractions for guests for comparatively low cost.

In the old days of MGM Studios the live stage shows would change frequently with the release of each new movie.

The Empress Lilly

I'm sad to hear about the little mermaid show. All the in-theatre effects are just great. That whole show, to me, just WORKS. The under the sea number is fantastic. I'll admit Ursela isn't the best... But I'll deal with that because of the rest of the show.

Couldn't care less about BatB though. I always thought the quality of the props and costumes and so forth was horrible.

Someone mentioned Anamagique... That would be interesting. That's a great show.
LM is fantastic. I can't think of another show where so many different theatrical techiniques work together so effortlessly, from live actors to film to special effects to puppetry. Awesome.

I'd rather have this show than the four minute slightly lacklustre ride.

Animagique is cool, just as Cinémagique, but to me it got old rather quickly.

mm52200

I'm not getting too concerned because every time a rumor comes up for something new entertainment wise the budget ends up getting cut...aka MK parade, Fantasmic upgrades, etc.

Mukta

I like both shows, but I don't love either of them. I would be fine with replacing both. I adore Animagique and Cinemagique, but I am against clones in general.

nytimez

Including the Pearl Harbor stunt show in the BLT, DHS has three shows based on 'guns and explosions with cars and tanks and military airplanes'.

Compared to all the testosterone stuff everywhere, two modest princess shows, in a Disney park, does not feel like overkill.

Backstage Tour, if that's what you're referring to, is probably going bye-bye... and I didn't ask for more testosterone stuff -- just less princess stuff. Doesn't really have to be one or the other, does it?

djlaosc

It looks like it could be an interesting few years for DHS!

I'm glad that I got my family to watch both of these shows for the first time on our last trip, as they will probably not be there for our next one!

I'm just going to put this out there, and, I would guess that there is no chance of it happening, but, could FOTLK be moving to either building after it closes at DAK in January, even temporarily until they build the new stage in DAK?

The MaD Hatter

I just hope they never touch LMA. We recently had the wonderful opportunity to not only experience Disney's fully immersive atmosphere of a human cattle herd that is LMA's queue for 40 minutes, but we were also fortunate enough they didn't waste much of our time after that by only showing us 5 minutes of the show before rushing everyone out of the stadium due to their ever popular "technical difficulties." Disney has a real winner on their hands with this one, and I'm sure it will continue to please audiences for the next 23 years! :thumbsup:

tracyandalex

While we do enjoy both shows, I would not be excited to see them replaced. I do sorta feel that the Beauty and the Beast show does have a classic status, but as Steve stated that show used to change a lot and it is nice for us more frequent repeat visitors to get something new more often. For me the VotLM has felt old for a few years now. Perhaps I am falling into the technology is better mode, but I feel like that show could definitely be updated. DD4 will definitely be sad when they are gone, but hopefully there will be something new that she will like just as much to replace them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A prime example where change can be good... as in 'fresh'. People's biggest complaints where they call DHS a 'half day park' are because they never do any of the shows. Stage shows need updating to bring repeat visitors back.. or be globally impressive performances (like F! at DL)

I think Voyage of the Little Mermaid is one of the most underrated shows on property.. but as long as the replacement is better and new, I'm fine with it's retirement after all these years.

phi2134

I think if people want to see what will be pushed, just look ahead to the next five years in Disney movies. I can see a greater push with Nemo soon, I think there is another movie coming out, but there is already a stage show I believe, correct me if I am wrong. I would look at the potential advertising and growth of such shows based on the next big thing at Disney.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My personal opinion is that stage shows that take place in a theater are something that need to be changed somewhat frequently. Rides are obviously different, as they require ride systems, animatronics, and physical sets. Shows by their very nature of using live actors are easily updatable. This makes them ideal candidates to be changed around to give the Studios new attractions for guests for comparatively low cost.

In the old days of MGM Studios the live stage shows would change frequently with the release of each new movie.

I recall seeing stage shows of both Pocahontas and Hunchback of Notre Dame, both were very good (and Hunchback was excellent). Of course, the theater that showed both of them has been boarded up now...:(

BatB is a very good show, and while I might be sad to see it go, have to admit that it's long overdue.

SyracuseOrange

I like both shows, but I don't love either of them. I would be fine with replacing both. I adore Animagique and Cinemagique, but I am against clones in general.

I've seen both Animagique and Cinemagique several times, and frankly, I'd prefer something new, (even though I do like both shows.) Tangled would be a great replacement for BATB, and while Animagique might fit into the VOTLM building, I'd hope Disney has a new show to offer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I hope they don't cheap out and go 'Golden Mickeys' - not only did I not like the show, it further cheapens the DCL investment in entertainment.

I would have to think it will be hard for them to ignore Toy Story unfortunately... (for the same reasons)

Poirot4

While I do enjoy both shows, I have seen them at least 3-4 times and I wouldn't mind seeing something new. In fact, I feel the same way about a lot of the attractions at DHS (LMA, Indiana Jones). They are all great but once you've seen them a few times, there isn't all that much incentive to see them again. I'm not sure why I don't get the same feeling when it comes to rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom