Hollywood Studios entertainment overhaul

flynnibus

Premium Member
What a charming generalization.

What do any of the other shows offer? Dolled up people dressed up lip sync'ing and spinning around? The only other shows on property worth a toot are Nemo (for its creative and performances) and FoTLK for it's circus acts... and Alladin blows both of those away in a complete product.

And while someone may hate on the genie.. its actually something to look forward to for repeatability in the show.. another thing all the other shows lack. Unless you are the type that goes 'wow, they really nailed Snow White's lipstick today!'

GiveMeTheMusic

What do any of the other shows offer? Dolled up people dressed up lip sync'ing and spinning around? The only other shows on property worth a toot are Nemo (for its creative and performances) and FoTLK for it's circus acts... and Alladin blows both of those away in a complete product.

And while someone may hate on the genie.. its actually something to look forward to for repeatability in the show.. another thing all the other shows lack. Unless you are the type that goes 'wow, they really nailed Snow White's lipstick today!'

Nemo is my favorite show on property at the moment. Great songs, creatively staged, visually exciting, not too long. It's pretty great IMO. FoTLK is in second, and there are no other shows I'll watch at WDW. The rest blow - Mermaid, Beauty, etc.

At DLR, I can't get past the awful staging and pacing of Aladdin. It detracts enough from the source material to make me stay away. The Genie is funny, and usually the only living thing on stage - everyone else is consistently robotic every time I've been in the Hyperion. I've never heard anyone address the problems I have with the show - obvious use of stunt doubles, stupid/ludicrous staging choices, cheap effects, a script that rewrites all of the film's great dialogue, giant gaps in the action, that horrible song they added for Jasmine. All of those factors make it inferior to Nemo in my book.

Mickey and the Magical Map is a mixed bag for me. Some really fun dance numbers and the show is old-school Disney - just characters and dancers singing and dancing with a thin thread to tie the songs together. The tech is impressive and most of the numbers are quite good. It's also not an hour long like Aladdin, which is a plus (especially on those awful benches). Despite its flaws, I'd rather watch it than Aladdin any day.

All that to say - Aladdin won't be showing up in DHS. It's already on the Disney Fantasy, and there's no theater at DHS that could hold the sets without a serious rebuild - and we know TDO would never do that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nemo is my favorite show on property at the moment. Great songs, creatively staged, visually exciting, not too long. It's pretty great IMO. FoTLK is in second, and there are no other shows I'll watch at WDW. The rest blow - Mermaid, Beauty, etc.

That's right.. two out of how many over the years? And the sad thing is the bar was set with Aladdin over 10 years ago.

I've never heard anyone address the problems I have with the show

Maybe because they didn't find them worth countering...

flush28

i do agree some changes need to be made in dhs, first of all get rid of american idol it's a waste. i enjoy the indy show and would hate to see it go, maybe if they update it from the other movies in the series. not a fan of the backlot tour find it boring. that's where i take my little nap. same goes for the honey grounds. the car stunts show is cool but i takes alot of space as well. i definitely can seee cars land coming my kid would love that since he's a big fan of the movies cars. gotta make a star wars land somewhere since disney bought the right to star wars. how about monsters, inc ride coming to dhs. i enjoy the fantasmic show but would like to see some sort of pirates of caribbeans show since they do it on the water, which can be a replacemnet for indy if they gonna remove it. the movie ride needs to be updated as well i believe. will look forward to see some of the changes even if they get rid of the ones i like.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disagree. Nemo is better staged and the music flows much better.

Unfortunately the Nemo show is constrained by the idea of telling the same 'find nemo' story which leads to a pretty boring setting IMO. The show is effectively just the puppets and the song performances. I mean, it stands out as GREAT compared to the rest of the WDW shows.. but doesn't stand up IMO to Alladin which has more to offer. More staging, more effects, a better venue, better songs, and an actual story line for guests to enjoy and follow. Oh.. and Genie.

RSoxNo1

I absolutely love Festival of the Lion King, but still regard Aladdin as a better show. When reports that it was being replaced by a Toy Story show surfaced, my wife and I planned a trip to California just to see it one last time, thankfully we have seen it on multiple trips since.

RSoxNo1

Disagree. Nemo is better staged and the music flows much better.
You mean the music that wasn't written for the film flows better than the music that was written for the film? How does that make sense? By comparison, for me, the weakest part of the Aladdin show is Jasmine's song.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom