Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

BuddyThomas

It’s the first season without any input from Ryan Murphy, and it shows.
Oh, seriously? I wasn't aware of that. Well, at least they are doing four unrelated, stand alone episodes of American Horror Stories starting on October 26, for Halloween. The first few seasons of that were not great, but maybe......?

DKampy

I don't understand that either.

I guess they are writing material for future actors for when they do return to work?

That, and writing stale jokes for the late night talk show hosts that no one watches any more.
Writing comes before any actors are on set… The SAG strike will not last forever… might as well start writing so you can start filming for when your actors do come back

TsWade2

AI is not going away. Just as with any new technology its all in how its used. Should Hollywood not use computers at all just because someone can potentially misuse them, no of course not. So the same should apply for AI or any other new technology that comes along.

You keep saying AMPTP should give everyone a "fair and better deal", but do you even know what that is? Just saying that over and over isn't going to make things go faster. Things will work out in time.

As for the Bill, while I applaud its effort, a lot of what is in the Bill is already law such as likeness rights, but maybe this covers things a bit more. And this won't stop things like AI Deep Fakes from happening, as it will continue. I've seen some recent ones where Elon Musk's face and voice was used to try to sell some crypto scheme. Things like that will continue even if this Bill becomes law. As I said the technology is not going away.
Well, they have too. Because that could replace actors and writers which is not right. And besides, the A. I. will screw everything up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, they have too. Because that could replace actors and writers which is not right. And besides, the A. I. will screw everything up.
Not sure what you mean, "AI will screw everything up"? Once again AI is a tool, just like any other piece of technology used today. It can be used for good or it can be used for bad, just like the very piece of technology you are typing these posts on today. But the technology itself is neither good nor bad.

Also the "AI could replace all actors and writers" is a scare tactic. Hollywood is not going to replace all human actors and writers completely, just not going to happen. And you know how I can say that? Because the moment that happens not only would there be a revolt by the public, but also those same executives risk their own jobs being replaced by AI. As if there is any job that could be replaced by AI today in Hollywood, its the executives. So yeah not going to happen.

TsWade2

For once, I agree with them! This is getting ridiculous! Those AMPTP are greedy and hopeless. They two choices either 1 get back on the negotiations and give the actors a fair and better deal or 2 Refuse to negotiate then the AMPTP better be disband so the actors and writers don't want to deal with them anymore. Their choice!

TP2000

Original Poster
Going into the weekend, talks have been suspended and things are still rather icy with the union and the studios.

A few of this afternoon's headlines...

TsWade2

Going into the weekend, talks have been suspended and things are still rather icy with the union and the studios.

You’re too late! I already know and it sucks! This strike will never end! The AMPTP are greedy and stupid.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For once, I agree with them! This is getting ridiculous! Those AMPTP are greedy and hopeless. They two choices either 1 get back on the negotiations and give the actors a fair and better deal or 2 Refuse to negotiate then the AMPTP better be disband so the actors and writers don't want to deal with them anymore. Their choice!

The AMPTP is not going to be disbanded.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Up until this strike I totally forgot how annoying Fran really is. If I was the AMPTP I wouldn't want to negotiate with her either. ;)

TsWade2

The AMPTP are greedy, stupid, and hopeless. This Hollywood strike will never end! And I hate to say this, but I’m starting to lose faith in Bob Iger.😢

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The AMPTP are greedy, stupid, and hopeless. This Hollywood strike will never end! And I hate to say this, but I’m starting to lose faith in Bob Iger.😢
Things will work out. Just like the Writers Strike, it'll take time. So be patient and let the process happen.

My personal feeling is this will be wrapped up hopefully before Thanksgiving. None of the Studios wants this to go into 2024.

TsWade2

Things will work out. Just like the Writers Strike, it'll take time. So be patient and let the process happen.

My personal feeling is this will be wrapped up hopefully before Thanksgiving. None of the Studios wants this to go into 2024.
I hope you're right, because I had enough of Hollywood strike!

MarvelCharacterNerd

Also the "AI could replace all actors and writers" is a scare tactic. Hollywood is not going to replace all human actors and writers completely, just not going to happen. And you know how I can say that? Because the moment that happens not only would there be a revolt by the public, but also those same executives risk their own jobs being replaced by AI. As if there is any job that could be replaced by AI today in Hollywood, its the executives. So yeah not going to happen.
Disagree. Think it is the inevitable cheap future of entertainment if it is not paused right now by these and coming strikes (video games, IATSE) and the contracts that result. I think AI is the destruction of Hollywood as a physical production medium (CGI has been the stepping stone to that) and many other service sector jobs if it is not slowed (I don't think it can be stopped any more than any other technological advance - it's too easy & seductive for people to not use it).

People are enamored with it now as a new toy. It's in its nascent stages. Most do not foresee the future consequences of it when it very quickly comes into its full potential abilities. Though scientists who specialized in developing AI are now coming out warning against it.

No, I am not a buggy whip manufacturer nor is my name Chicken Little. This is the biggest threat to jobs in a century, especially in the creative fields. That's why a lot of lawsuits are happening to try to stop it and guilds globally are getting involved trying to slow the coming destruction of the sector.

TsWade2

Disagree. Think it is the inevitable cheap future of entertainment if it is not paused right now by these and coming strikes (video games, IATSE) and the contracts that result. I think AI is the destruction of Hollywood as a physical production medium (CGI has been the stepping stone to that) and many other service sector jobs if it is not slowed (I don't think it can be stopped any more than any other technological advance - it's too easy & seductive for people to not use it).

People are enamored with it now as a new toy. It's in its nascent stages. Most do not foresee the future consequences of it when it very quickly comes into its full potential abilities. Though scientists who specialized in developing AI are now coming out warning against it.

No, I am not a buggy whip manufacturer nor is my name Chicken Little. This is the biggest threat to jobs in a century, especially in the creative fields. That's why a lot of lawsuits are happening to try to stop it and guilds globally are getting involved trying to slow the coming destruction of the sector.

Thank you!

Disney Irish

Premium Member

As with any technology it can be used for good or bad. I gave the example of the technology you are using now to type these posts, whether that be desktop, laptop, smart phone, or other digital device. Someone can use it to bring down a bank or hospital, but should that mean you shouldn't be allowed to use it or other improvements made to it because of that, no of course not. Or for that matter, that same device has cost countless jobs and industries over the life of its development. Again should that mean you shouldn't be allowed to use it, of course not.

I'm not saying don't have laws surrounding it, as we do with a lot of technology, but it cannot be stopped. That genie is already out of the bottle, no putting it back. Also if you think about it, the easiest jobs to replace in Hollywood are the executives that make decisions. As they could be done far better and cheaper by AI than a human, and probably with better results. So yeah a full take over by AI in Hollywood will never happen for that exact reason.

And I say all of this as someone who is in the tech industry right in the middle of what AI is being developed, knowing full well my job can actually be lost tomorrow by AI. Sorry but the singularity is not coming. AI will not take over and crush humans. :)

MarvelCharacterNerd

As with any technology it can be used for good or bad. I gave the example of the technology you are using now to type these posts, whether that be desktop, laptop, smart phone, or other digital device. Someone can use it to bring down a bank or hospital, but should that mean you shouldn't be allowed to use it or other improvements made to it because of that, no of course not. Or for that matter, that same device has cost countless jobs and industries over the life of its development. Again should that mean you shouldn't be allowed to use it, of course not.

I'm not saying don't have laws surrounding it, as we do with a lot of technology, but it cannot be stopped.
Which I said above.
That genie is already out of the bottle, no putting it back.
Which I also said above.
Also if you think about it, the easiest jobs to replace in Hollywood are the executives that make decisions.
They agree with you.

However, their assistants will beat them to the unemployment line.

On average, the C-suite executives surveyed by edX said 49% of the skills that exist in their current workforce won’t be relevant by 2025, and 47% of their workers aren’t prepared for the future of work.

Assistant jobs are already disappearing. And I've previously provided just a partial list of all the physical production jobs that will go when all production can be done effectively enough not just *on* a computer but *by* a computer.

As they could be done far better and cheaper by AI than a human, and probably with better results. So yeah a full take over by AI in Hollywood will never happen for that exact reason.

And I say all of this as someone who is in the tech industry right in the middle of what AI is being developed, knowing full well my job can actually be lost tomorrow by AI. Sorry but the singularity is not coming. AI will not take over and crush humans. :)
I didn't say it would. But I did say it could kill a lot of jobs and industries. Including the majority of Hollywood. I'm neither Chicken Little nor old man yelling at cloud; I'm practical as he!!. I've also spent the past few years seeing exactly how impossible the job market has become because a lot of - if not all skills soon around here - can and will be done by a computer. And it's only going to get worse.

But hey, McDonald's is going to be paying better soon in CA than most assistant jobs. So... would you like fries with that?

Oh wait... a computer can take your order. It just can't cook it. Yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom