Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

TP2000

Original Poster

TsWade2

Disney Analyst

Industry media is warning folks to "be cautious" about a fast deal. This might take some time, but at least they're talking again...

Hopefully the writers deal can serve as a template, with of course nuance tailored towards actors and their needs.

TP2000

Original Poster
Hopefully the writers deal can serve as a template, with of course nuance tailored towards actors and their needs.

Agreed.

But from the Deadline article above, I wonder how many of the striking actors went and saw The Creator this weekend with this on their mind...

“The exploitative uses of AI and lagging wages” were the major concerns the guild expressed regarding the dispute.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Everyone from Stephen Fry to Tom Hanks to Robin Williams' daughter are talking about AI now because it can only get more efficient from here:

TP2000

Original Poster
I changed the title thread to reflect the fact that the Writer's Guild is back to work, but the Screen Actors Guild is still on strike.

I just saw the return of The Tonight Show on our local KNSD affiliate. I'm suddenly reminded that there will neve be another Johnny Carson. How do people watch that pandering dreck?

No wonder no one talks about those late night shows any more. They're dumb now. Johnny wouldn't approve. :(

Phroobar

I find it amazing how the movie Looker predicted all of this back in the 80s. Sure it was a bad movie but Michael Crichton predicted the future. Now where is my robot and dinosaur theme park?

Heppenheimer

It's funny you mention that, as I've been learning more about that lately. At the time (early 90's), I vaguely remember there being "drama" around who would succeed Johnny. Leno, and then Letterman went to CBS in a huff, etc.

I recently learned Conan O'Brien was also involved. I am kicking myself for not watching Conan when he was on the air. During the pandemic, I started watching Conan clips on YouTube and I LOVED them. I couldn't get enough of him and his assistant Sona, and when they went on that trip to Armenia I got teary eyed in a few spots. I love Sona! 🤣 And Conan is hysterical, but I just never clued in to that when he was on the air.

I've actually learned more about Armenia and its fascinating culture/history because of Sona and Conan. They never taught us about the Armenian genocide when I was in school during the Dark Ages. Also, Conan's trip to Italy and Olive Garden with Jordan absolutely kill me.

It's a shame all those men couldn't figure it out. I would have loved to see Letterman take over for Johnny, and Conan take over for Letterman at 12:30am in the 90's, with Conan slotting in as the new Johnny by the time Letterman retired a decade ago.

Ah, well. At least we have YouTube. And I see Conan and Sona are doing sort of a podcast thing now, which is also hysterical. I just wished I had clued in to that 20 years ago when it was all being aired nightly.
Listening to Conan and Sona bicker on the podcast always makes my day. When he described hearing her speak Armenian to her mother as like eavesdropping on Count Dracula, I almost got in a car accident, I was laughing so hard.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Listening to Conan and Sona bicker on the podcast always makes my day. When he described hearing her speak Armenian to her mother as like eavesdropping on Count Dracula, I almost got in a car accident, I was laughing so hard.

That's a hysterical line! I love those two. And I'm thrilled Sona still has a job with him after he left TV. Brilliant.

Not much news from the strike talks yet today, but this caught my eye.... Will Disney+ follow Netflix's lead on pricing?

TP2000

Original Poster
Good news! Saturday Night Live has an exemption by the Screen Actor's Guild and its actors and actresses can return to work. Saturday Night Live will have its season premiere next week, October 14th.

But if there's not a Joe Biden falling down joke at the top of the show, I am writing a very strongly worded letter to both my Congressman and Lorne Michaels! :mad:

Basil of Baker Street

Good news! Saturday Night Live has an exemption by the Screen Actor's Guild and its actors and actresses can return to work. Saturday Night Live will have its season premiere next week, October 14th.

But if there's not a Joe Biden falling down joke at the top of the show, I am writing a very strongly worded letter to both my Congressman and Lorne Michaels! :mad:

Now if only they could figure out a way to make SNL funny.

TP2000

Original Poster
Now if only they could figure out a way to make SNL funny.

I'm not holding my breath.

It's always gone through ups and downs over the decades, fantastic casts and mediocre casts, but lately it's just... not funny.

I will tune in next Saturday night though, just out of morbid curiosity and to see if they have the guts to do to Joe Biden in 2023 what they did to Gerald Ford in 1975.

Basil of Baker Street

I'm not holding my breath.

It's always gone through ups and downs over the decades, fantastic casts and mediocre casts, but lately it's just... not funny.

I will tune in next Saturday night though, just out of morbid curiosity and to see if they have the guts to do to Joe Biden in 2023 what they did to Gerald Ford in 1975.

What's funny is the years with Adam Sandler, Phil Hartman, David Spade, Chris Farley etc was some of the lowest rated shows but now it considered some of the greatest.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...0-11/amptp-sag-aftra-roadblocks-actors-strike You have got to be kidding me! I guess it's the end of Hollywood!😢
Yep, you must be right its the end of Hollywood for good. All studios will close, all movies will be removed from all over the world. You won't be able to watch anything Disney related every again.

Or....

This is just like the WGA strike, where things take time and they finally find a common ground and agreed to a new deal. Be patient, its only been a week since they started talking again, it wasn't going to be completed overnight.

TsWade2

Yep, you must be right its the end of Hollywood for good. All studios will close, all movies will be removed from all over the world. You won't be able to watch anything Disney related every again.

Or....

This is just like the WGA strike, where things take time and they finally find a common ground and agreed to a new deal. Be patient, its only been a week since they started talking again, it wasn't going to be completed overnight.
Man, I need to stop saying that.🙄

Prince-1

Or....

I think your first option may be the correct one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom