Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

TP2000

Original Poster
The Tonight Show will return to the air the first week of October.

Somewhere upstairs, Johnny and Ed are smiling. :)

I have half a mind to tune it to The Tonight Show that first night back, just to see what it's like now. I haven't watched that show in over a decade, since Leno left, but in the 1970's and 80's it was mandatory viewing for me at least four nights a week.

It's weird to think how many of us went to sleep to Carson's voice every night. There will never be another Johnny Carson, and the younger generations are worse off because of that. I remember the watch party I went to for his final show in '92; it was incredibly touching.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I have half a mind to tune it to The Tonight Show that first night back, just to see what it's like now. I haven't watched that show in over a decade, since Leno left, but in the 1970's and 80's it was mandatory viewing for me at least four nights a week.

It's weird to think how many of us went to sleep to Carson's voice every night. There will never be another Johnny Carson, and the younger generations are worse off because of that. I remember the watch party I went to for his final show in '92; it was incredibly touching.
BTW, what time does the show broadcast on the west coast? For this east coaster, I knew who Johnny Carson was, and I occasionally watched the Tonight Show. But it aired after 11:30 PM, so it wasn't something I or any of my friends ever watched regularly.

TP2000

Original Poster
BTW, what time does the show broadcast on the west coast? For this east coaster, I knew who Johnny Carson was, and I occasionally watched the Tonight Show. But it aired after 11:30 PM, so it wasn't something I or any of my friends ever watched regularly.

Johnny Carson was always 11:30pm on the dot, five nights a week. On NBC, of course.

I had no idea that it was later on the East Coast. It was taped in Burbank in the early evening, California time, so you would think there wouldn't be a time delay for the Eastern time zone. Thinking back to when I lived in the Eastern time zone in the 1980's in several states, I don't remember Johnny Carson playing later, because it was always followed by David Letterman at 12:30am (Whom I absolutely adored then, when he was in his wacky heyday. Larry Bud Melman at the Port Authority bus terminal with hot towels still makes me cry with laughter).

Are you referring to the 1970's or 60's? Perhaps then there was a time delay for the Eastern time zone prior to the Reagan Era? Although in the 60's, he was still doing his show out of New York City, so...

I just assume that the current version of The Tonight Show is still at 11:30pm.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Johnny Carson was always 11:30pm on the dot, five nights a week. On NBC, of course.

I had no idea that it was later on the East Coast. It was taped in Burbank in the early evening, California time, so you would think there wouldn't be a time delay for the Eastern time zone. Thinking back to when I lived in the Eastern time zone in the 1980's in several states, I don't remember Johnny Carson playing later, because it was always followed by David Letterman at 12:30am (Whom I absolutely adored then, when he was in his wacky heyday. Larry Bud Melman at the Port Authority bus terminal with hot towels still makes me cry with laughter).

Are you referring to the 1970's or 60's? Perhaps then there was a time delay for the Eastern time zone prior to the Reagan Era? Although in the 60's, he was still doing his show out of New York City, so...

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon airs at 11:35pm in all time zones. Its actually recorded at Rockefeller Center in New York, in the same location where it was recorded for many years including for many of Johnny's years until 1972 when it was moved to Burbank, returning to NY when Jimmy took over.

Heppenheimer

Nope, 80s and 90s. I guess Johnny was on at the same local time everywhere. 11:30 PM was just too late for me and most of the people I knew to watch regularly.

TsWade2

Anyway, tomorrow the AMPTP and SAG AFTRA are negotiate tomorrow. And the AMPTP better use that fair and better done right and hopefully this Hollywood strike will end in a few days! But I guess that’s just me. We’ll see how it goes.

WaltsTreasureChest

Couldnt stand Leno. Not after what he did to Conan.

TP2000

Original Poster
Couldnt stand Leno. Not after what he did to Conan.

It's funny you mention that, as I've been learning more about that lately. At the time (early 90's), I vaguely remember there being "drama" around who would succeed Johnny. Leno, and then Letterman went to CBS in a huff, etc.

I recently learned Conan O'Brien was also involved. I am kicking myself for not watching Conan when he was on the air. During the pandemic, I started watching Conan clips on YouTube and I LOVED them. I couldn't get enough of him and his assistant Sona, and when they went on that trip to Armenia I got teary eyed in a few spots. I love Sona! 🤣 And Conan is hysterical, but I just never clued in to that when he was on the air.

I've actually learned more about Armenia and its fascinating culture/history because of Sona and Conan. They never taught us about the Armenian genocide when I was in school during the Dark Ages. Also, Conan's trip to Italy and Olive Garden with Jordan absolutely kill me.

It's a shame all those men couldn't figure it out. I would have loved to see Letterman take over for Johnny, and Conan take over for Letterman at 12:30am in the 90's, with Conan slotting in as the new Johnny by the time Letterman retired a decade ago.

Ah, well. At least we have YouTube. And I see Conan and Sona are doing sort of a podcast thing now, which is also hysterical. I just wished I had clued in to that 20 years ago when it was all being aired nightly.

WaltsTreasureChest

It's funny you mention that, as I've been learning more about that lately. At the time (early 90's), I vaguely remember there being "drama" around who would succeed Johnny. Leno, and then Letterman went to CBS in a huff, etc.

I recently learned Conan O'Brien was also involved. I am kicking myself for not watching Conan when he was on the air. During the pandemic, I started watching Conan clips on YouTube and I LOVED them. I couldn't get enough of him and his assistant Sona, and when they went on that trip to Armenia I got teary eyed in a few spots. I love Sona! 🤣 And Conan is hysterical, but I just never clued in to that when he was on the air.

I've actually learned more about Armenia and its fascinating culture/history because of Sona and Conan. They never taught us about the Armenian genocide when I was in school during the Dark Ages. Also, Conan's trip to Italy and Olive Garden with Jordan absolutely kill me.

It's a shame all those men couldn't figure it out. I would have loved to see Letterman take over for Johnny, and Conan take over for Letterman at 12:30am in the 90's, with Conan slotting in as the new Johnny by the time Letterman retired a decade ago.

Ah, well. At least we have YouTube. And I see Conan and Sona are doing sort of a podcast thing now, which is also hysterical. I just wished I had clued in to that 20 years ago when it was all being aired nightly.
You really should’ve been there. But YouTube is great for that. Conan has so many bits, and “Remotes” that feature his past bits and interviews. Really great stuff. And I LOVE Sona too. She’s still works with him on his podcast. Really recommend a listen if you’re free

TP2000

Original Poster
You really should’ve been there. But YouTube is great for that. Conan has so many bits, and “Remotes” that feature his past bits and interviews. Really great stuff. And I LOVE Sona too. She’s still works with him on his podcast. Really recommend a listen if you’re free

Thank you, I will. A few years ago when I discovered all that Conan material on YouTube, I really was kicking myself for not watching him when he was actually on the air. I don't know how I could have missed that! :banghead:

He's a very, very funny and talented guy. He also seems like a genuinely good and kind person, which makes it even better.

A few days ago I watched a 20 minute montage of Martin Short roasting Conan over the years on his show. Hysterical!

WaltsTreasureChest

Thank you, I will. A few years ago when I discovered all that Conan material on YouTube, I really was kicking myself for not watching him when he was actually on the air. I don't know how I could have missed that! :banghead:

He's a very, very funny and talented guy. He also seems like a genuinely good and kind person, which makes it even better.

A few days ago I watched a 20 minute montage of Martin Short roasting Conan over the years on his show. Hysterical!
I know, I love that Martin short interview! He’s not only extremely funny but a great interviewer. Probably one of the best and last few late night greats to do it. Conan’s shorts and bits have become extremely popular during and post Covid. I’m still glad that he’s able to continue his work in podcast form. Great guy and protected his staff well during the strikes!!

Tha Realest

I know, I love that Martin short interview! He’s not only extremely funny but a great interviewer. Probably one of the best and last few late night greats to do it. Conan’s shorts and bits have become extremely popular during and post Covid. I’m still glad that he’s able to continue his work in podcast form. Great guy and protected his staff well during the strikes!!
Short and Martin were on Conan’s podcast recently, and it is an instant classic

TP2000

Original Poster
All this talk about late night hosts has convinced me that I will tune in tomorrow night for the return of The Tonight Show. Just to see what the 2020's version is of that TV staple of the latter 20th century, especially post-strike.

I was a huge Letterman fan in the 80's, and the first few years when he went to CBS from the Ed Sullivan theater. But then Letterman got too cranky for my tastes in his later years. He was always a sarcastic jerk in the 80's, but he tempered it with goofiness and genuine wit. Later, he just seemed cranky. But in the early 80's especially, Letterman was comedy gold and the stuff I've seen of Conan reminds me a lot of early Letterman.

I swear, anytime I need a good laugh I watch the episode circa 1982 or so when Letterman sent Larry Bud Melman to the Port Authority bus terminal with a tray of hot towels to welcome arriving passengers to New York. I nearly passed out with laughter the night this aired in '82, and it still makes me laugh to this day. Just classic TV from an era now gone. 🤣

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Not that I have watched late night tv in decades but who is doing shows like the Tonight show anymore? Does SNL still exist?

I've wondered that too. They seem to have fallen off the cultural radar, and no one I know talks about them.

Who is still watching these shows? Who is still appearing on them as guests? Who is the bandleader? Who is the sidekick?

As for Saturday Night Live, that just makes me sad. I said this earlier, but there is sooooo much incredible material lately they are missing out on! Senators are either wearing gym shorts to work or freezing up on live TV as if their operating system was being updated, the President repeatedly falling and now having to take the short stairs to get on to Air Force One, Congressmen pulling fire alarms just before important votes, etc., etc..

All of that, and more, should have been Comedy Gold for Saturday Night Live. But they're off the air. A real shame. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom