Hollywood Strikes Are Over! - SAG-AFTRA agrees to a deal

TsWade2

Hopefully it gets ratified by the WGA members. Once ratified it'll be used as the template for the SAG/AFTRA negotiations and hopefully a new contract.

So much for this idea about division between the studios and the goal to breakup the AMPTP by the unions.
I hope the AMPTP will hurry up and make a fair and better deal for the actors! I know, I know, be patient!🙄

flynnibus

Premium Member
giphy (9).gif

still no answer about changes?

TP2000

Original Poster
The WGA are going to vote whether they accept the deal (Which is most likely) or not. Meanwhile, AMPTP are scheduling the negotiations with the actors sometime next week: https://x.com/onetakenews/status/1706715192749367683?s=61&t=z0DUybrXydmOyoZebVYIwA

Thank you, I've been traveling the past week in a mysterious foreign land called "Canada" where they don't give a crap about the Hollywood strikes, so I had completely fallen behind the curve on this story. I came here just now to ask for an update on where the Actors union is, and this helps.

So perhaps by early October the writers will be back on the job, and by late October the actors could be back to? That would allow them to be doing publicity tours for all the Thanksgiving/Christmas tentpoles, so that would be a good thing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thank you, I've been traveling the past week in a mysterious foreign land called "Canada" where they don't give a crap about the Hollywood strikes, so I had completely fallen behind the curve on this story. I came here just now to ask for an update on where the Actors union is, and this helps.

So perhaps by early October the writers will be back on the job, and by late October the actors could be back to? That would allow them to be doing publicity tours for all the Thanksgiving/Christmas tentpoles, so that would be a good thing.
Writers could be back to work as early as this week pending approval from WGA.

TsWade2

Writers could be back to work as early as this week pending approval from WGA.

Good! Now the AMPTP better hurry up and make a fair and better deal for the actors before we reach the day Disney officially turned 100 and world premiere of Wish. I know, I know, be patient.🙄

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Good! Now the AMPTP better hurry up and make a fair and better deal for the actors before we reach the day Disney officially turned 100 and world premiere of Wish. I know, I know, be patient.🙄
While I fully expect the SAG/AFTRA actor strike will end soon enough with a new deal reached with the AMPTP, it has nothing to do with the Disney 100th anniversary.

Disney's 100th anniversary celebration is not dependent on the Hollywood strikes, as has been said before.

DCBaker

Premium Member
The WGA says the writers' strike will officially end at 12:01am PT on Wednesday.

"A historic Hollywood labor battle will soon be over.

The 148-day writers’ strike, the second longest in Writers Guild of America history, will conclude on 12:01 am PT Wednesday thanks to a vote from guild leadership that officially authorized some 11,500 members to return to work. Tasks that for months were prohibited by strike rules — pitching, selling scripts, taking meetings, responding to notes — will then be sanctioned, while writers’ rooms can reconvene.

“This allows writers to return to work during the ratification process, but does not affect the membership’s right to make a final determination on contract approval,” the WGA negotiating committee stated."

More at the article below.

DCBaker

Premium Member
View attachment 745007

still no answer about changes?

Here's a link to the summary of the deal terms.

More details below.

TsWade2

The WGA says the writers' strike will officially end at 12:01am PT on Wednesday.

"A historic Hollywood labor battle will soon be over.

The 148-day writers’ strike, the second longest in Writers Guild of America history, will conclude on 12:01 am PT Wednesday thanks to a vote from guild leadership that officially authorized some 11,500 members to return to work. Tasks that for months were prohibited by strike rules — pitching, selling scripts, taking meetings, responding to notes — will then be sanctioned, while writers’ rooms can reconvene.

“This allows writers to return to work during the ratification process, but does not affect the membership’s right to make a final determination on contract approval,” the WGA negotiating committee stated."

More at the article below.

Happy Kermit The Frog GIF
YAY! Now, to the actors!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So when does Saturday Night Live come back? There's so much great material out there they need to cover ASAP. 🤣
Obviously you know the answer, SNL comes back on the air when the SAG/AFTRA strike ends.

But since the WGA strike is now officially over, SNL writers can begin writing new skits starting now. And I fully expect a few skits about the strikes in the first couple shows when back on air.

TP2000

Original Poster
Obviously you know the answer, SNL comes back on the air when the SAG/AFTRA strike ends.

Actually, I hadn't realized that. I thought it was just movie actors and scripted sitcoms and TV crime dramas, and TV skit performers/improv players weren't a part of this union.

But, I suppose if I stare at the acronym for a bit and get past the "Screen Actors Guild", the letter 'T' is AFTRA stands for Television actors, of all stripes. I'll remember that.

As for sketch writing, they don't need to do more than one skit about the strikes, because most folks don't care. But there is SO MUCH INCREDIBLY HILARIOUS material out there right now from the political world that Saturday Night Live needs to jump on; Senators freezing up on live TV, suit-and-tie dress codes being replaced by gym shorts, the President repeatedly falling and now taking the Short Stairs to get onto Air Force One, etc, etc. Comedy gold, and Saturday Night Live needs to get back ASAP. It's almost criminal they've been off the air right now and are missing all this.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually, I hadn't realized that. I thought it was just movie actors and scripted sitcoms and TV crime dramas, and TV skit performers/improv players weren't a part of this union.

But, I suppose if I stare at the acronym for a bit and get past the "Screen Actors Guild", the letter 'T' is AFTRA stands for Television actors, of all stripes. I'll remember that.

As for sketch writing, they don't need to do more than one skit about the strikes, because most folks don't care. But there is SO MUCH INCREDIBLY HILARIOUS material out there right now from the political world that Saturday Night Live needs to jump on; Senators freezing up on live TV, suit-and-tie dress codes being replaced by gym shorts, the President repeatedly falling and now taking the Short Stairs to get onto Air Force One, etc, etc. Comedy gold, and Saturday Night Live needs to get back ASAP. It's almost criminal they've been off the air right now and are missing all this.
Yes SAG/AFTRA covers film, television, and even radio actors. So yes SNL performers fall under SAG/AFTRA union and won't be back until that strike is over.

GimpYancIent

I want to see Fran be the main guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom