Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit?

hardcard

Anyone know why it was down most of the day? I saw all sorts of people working on the braking zones on the citywalk side are 1 PM.

Because it's 4 months late and Uni rushed the 'opening' statement on the ride?

in all seriosuness, I have no idea.. but they had maint. on all the brake runs yesterday, not just the one closest to CW

Deadman

2 recent updates for you all

http://screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_florida.htm

I’ve had a couple more Rockit tracks identified. #128 is Vertigo by U2 and another reader identified #724 as being an empty track, as it would only play the default song, Busy Child, when entered.
(8/25/09) I’ve got a couple of track updates for everyone. Track #131 which was said to be a remixed / edited Blue Man Group track is now said to be a major edit of their Klein Mandelbrot track, cutting back the 8 minute song to fit the ride length. However we’ve heard that the edit is quite good and seems to have been done with the coaster’s layout in mind, as it matches the action quite well. Perhaps we should call this the Blue Man Group: The Ride Edit. The Judas Priest song also has a name, “You’ve Got Another Thing Coming”.
There has been a lot of reports lately about long lines, broken audio seats and delays… everything you should expect from ride a ride that just opened. However there are some operational oddities… with many reports about how the ride isn’t opening until 11am on many days, when it does open it sometimes only has 1 train operation, adding a 2nd train maybe 45-60 minutes later, and adding the third train 45-60 minutes after that. Of course I believe the ride was intended to run 5 trains at the same time, but this has yet to happen. Still… it is a break-in process, but I don’t get the 1-2-3 train operation phased in start-up, when combined with a delayed opening has been giving the ride consistant 1.5 to 3 hour long lines.

agent86

No, what I'm saying is that nobody cares enough to talk about it and we're either personally extremely stupid, or we are both just incredibly skilled at ticking each other off.

I think the fact that there have been replies to my comments (including from you), that kind of kills your assertion that "nobody cares enough to talk about it". Plus, any time someone has to write a post just to state that "nobody cares", that kind of undermines the message they're trying to convey, don't you think? :hammer:

As far as "ticking each other off", ... well, I'm not ticked off, so I think you're alone in that one. :hammer:

EpcotServo

I think the fact that there have been replies to my comments (including from you), that kind of kills your assertion that "nobody cares enough to talk about it". Plus, any time someone has to write a post just to state that "nobody cares", that kind of undermines the message they're trying to convey, don't you think? :hammer:

As far as "ticking each other off", ... well, I'm not ticked off, so I think you're alone in that one. :hammer:

If you're doing it right, the truth should undermine any message you're trying to convey. The whole point of sending a message is an uphill battle anyway, a message is after all a sentiment to invoke a movement or acknowledge a hidden meaning not at first clearly visible. If the feeling's strong enough, eventually the truth always stands aside. And it that lesson, like I said, we're both exemplary students.

And well, it warranted two of the same emoticon, so personally I'm pleased.

Anyways, I can't wait until they start running more trains on this thing...

Mr Bill

I must agree, the way it is currently set up, the load is right next to the lift... the only way to make this possible would be to remove some of that railing and load the cars by the greeter.
I'm pretty sure this could be done quite easily. None of the railing or queue poles are actually permanently in place.

I made it on to HRRR for the first time yesterday, amazing ride that I can't wait to get on again.

Matpez

I'm pretty sure this could be done quite easily. None of the railing or queue poles are actually permanently in place.

Yeah, I've been up there again, there actually is a way to enter the moving walkway already in place but currently blocked off until they are ready to use it.

MKCP 1985

Just an update for those interested. . . We arrived on Sunday morning before park opening and camped out in a makeshift queue. At around 9:45, empty train cars started running. At 10:15 am, I asked a park employee stationed outside the ride with a measuring stick what his best guess might be and he said another 90 minutes, as there had been some issues with the ride overnight. He mentioned the braking system.

Another park guest next to me in the queue was staying on property at Royal Pacific and she said she had been told the ride doesn't usually open until 10:00 am.

We didn't wait any longer for the ride, as we only had one day to make the most of both parks, but right around 11 am, the ride was open with riders.

I would have liked to have seen it, but with park hours 9a - 6p at Islands of Adventure, I couldn't burn the whole morning waiting to ride. The ride does look terrific. Maybe next time. :shrug:

Two other things - when you get there first thing in the morning, you have to camp out in an unshaded area in front of a stage. Emphasis on "unshaded" also no fans. Bring a hat, because the sun was brutal!

The other: This one exchange sums up my feelings about the difference between Disney cast members and Universal employees. When I approached the operations guy to ask his opinion on when the gates would open, a little girl of about 8 to 10 years of age was asking him the same question. As I stood there and listened, he told her it would still be a while before it opened, and she asked, "Could you tell them its my birthday, and see if they can open it sooner?" The guy gave her a sarcastic, smarta$$ answer along the lines of "What's your name? Haley?" He then pulled out his radio, indicating he was going to contact someone. "Okay, Haley, how about if I tell them that since it is YOUR birthday and you don't want to wait, just skip all the safety testing, open the ride not knowing if it is safe and maybe people will get seriously injured, but go ahead and open the ride because it is HALEY's birthday?" :rolleyes: That went right over the head of the little kid, who got excited because the guy told her he would try and get the ride open sooner for her birthday.

JROK

This one exchange sums up my feelings about the difference between Disney cast members and Universal employees. When I approached the operations guy to ask his opinion on when the gates would open, a little girl of about 8 to 10 years of age was asking him the same question. As I stood there and listened, he told her it would still be a while before it opened, and she asked, "Could you tell them its my birthday, and see if they can open it sooner?" The guy gave her a sarcastic, smarta$$ answer along the lines of "What's your name? Haley?" He then pulled out his radio, indicating he was going to contact someone. "Okay, Haley, how about if I tell them that since it is YOUR birthday and you don't want to wait, just skip all the safety testing, open the ride not knowing if it is safe and maybe people will get seriously injured, but go ahead and open the ride because it is HALEY's birthday?" :rolleyes: That went right over the head of the little kid, who got excited because the guy told her he would try and get the ride open sooner for her birthday.

Bummer you didn't get to ride it... However, don't make a hasty generalization about Universal team members based on one encounter... If we all did that then no parks or businesses would "have good employees"... I can't tell you how many times I've been snubbed by CMs when I ask to see their pins for pin trading... I especially love it when I'm at EPCOT and two Internation Program CMs are talking to one another and when I ask to see their pins they just hold them up and keep talking to one another without hardly making eye contact with me... So see, every park is going to have its bad eggs... Hopefully you still enjoyed your time there!

MKCP 1985

Bummer you didn't get to ride it... However, don't make a hasty generalization about Universal team members based on one encounter... If we all did that then no parks or businesses would "have good employees"... I can't tell you how many times I've been snubbed by CMs when I ask to see their pins for pin trading... I especially love it when I'm at EPCOT and two Internation Program CMs are talking to one another and when I ask to see their pins they just hold them up and keep talking to one another without hardly making eye contact with me... So see, every park is going to have its bad eggs... Hopefully you still enjoyed your time there!

True, and I know there are people who've worked at both parks (some working part time jobs at both) and they don't go from being a good worker to a bad worker simply by the costume or uniform they put on.

But I've been to both parks enough times now to form an opinion that one better provides what I am looking for in a park experience than the other. Certainly, others feel differently.

Matpez

Bump! (No need to start a new thread) :wave:

For a few days, HRRR was closed this week for maintenance. I've been told by a couple upper level UO employees that some new anti-rollback device was installed running to the first brake run after the non-inverting loop to prevent the valleying issue. They feel confident that if they have fixed this, they can start using the moving load platform.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Given the problems we encountered over our 4 day stay at the HRH at Thanksgiving I must say this is welcome news. For a new atraction this has to be one of the worst implimentations Ive seen.

It was worth Q ing for however, but not 150 mins. And yes the on ride video they flog you is a rip off of Disney proportions. An absoloute shocker, as I told the survey people.

a2grafix

I decided to visit Universal Dec 15 and was excited to ride Rip Ride Rockit for the first tme ever, but alas it was shut down for "scheduled maintenance" and for it being the "off-season."

Was told that it was down for maintenance Dec. 14, my other day I was considering visiting Universal.

Well, I need to schedule a trip now sometime in mid/late 2010 to experience Rip Ride Rockit as well as Potterland.

Here's an image of crews working on the 90-degree incline at around 1pm Dec 15.

ripriderockitclosedDec15.jpg

whylightbulb

Bump! (No need to start a new thread) :wave:

For a few days, HRRR was closed this week for maintenance. I've been told by a couple upper level UO employees that some new anti-rollback device was installed running to the first brake run after the non-inverting loop to prevent the valleying issue. They feel confident that if they have fixed this, they can start using the moving load platform.
Actually there is no new ARB being installed however there will be a winch system installed on block 1 to enable a much faster and less expensive recovery in case of another valley.

The station conveyor delays have nothing to do with the valley problem. it's Universal's extremely stringent safety requirements that is the main holdup. Everything from code changes (leading to redoing SAT testing) to new encoders and improvements to the recovery drive system have been holding up progress. Believe me the continuous mode system works fine with six trains and has been running for months during the late hours of testing. Great strides were made this past week and TUV should be signing off on the conveyors by Monday or Tuesday. At that point they will begin daily operation if everything else goes well.

Matpez

Actually there is no new ARB being installed however there will be a winch system installed on block 1 to enable a much faster and less expensive recovery in case of another valley.

The station conveyor delays have nothing to do with the valley problem. it's Universal's extremely stringent safety requirements that is the main holdup. Everything from code changes (leading to redoing SAT testing) to new encoders and improvements to the recovery drive system have been holding up progress. Believe me the continuous mode system works fine with six trains and has been running for months during the late hours of testing. Great strides were made this past week and TUV should be signing off on the conveyors by Monday or Tuesday. At that point they will begin daily operation if everything else goes well.

Well, I am getting all this in the "telephone game". I assumed it wasn't actually anti-rollbacks, but that was the best info I was given.

Either way, I am happy to hear the thing might actually start running with the moving platform and greatly decrease wait times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom