Here come the mermaids

ChristianG

I personally don't have a problem with this. In usually not in favor of Disney adding movie elements to classic rides, but I think this minor addition wont be the worst we have seen.

MagicMike

People didn't need Jack Sparrow to understand what the pirates were doing or why they would be there.. these changes have not plussed the attraction, they have ALTERED IT and changed it to try to make it like the movies.

Are the days of high quality park exclusive rides numbered? It seems like rides and ideas now all tend to be synergistic with a film or character. Granted a large number of rides remain independent, but for how long?

I'm not making ludicrous statements like "Every ride has movie ties now!" or "Rides don't get built without having characters in them these days!". I know that's not the case. A large number of even newish rides are independent. (Test Track, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Space Mountain, you could even throw Splash Mountain on the list since a vast majority of people have never seen/know about the film Song Of The South)

I greatly enjoy seeing Disney take an idea or concept and transform it into something unique and creative. My favorite park rides are the ones that have done just that.

What I'm asking is are we seeing this creativity toward independent ideas begin to regress for the sake of synergistic sales from a "built-in" audience? If the yet to be released film Frozen turns out to be a smash hit, raking in tons of money, and it prominently features a yeti, will we see all the work and research that went into creating an amazing independent ride be undone for the sake of "plussing"?

ctxak98

I think if used the right way and in the beggining...this could be a cool addition. But if its added in like the scenes of moving through the burning buildings...it will look stupid

The Empress Lilly

Blegh. :barf:

PotC was a fantastic classic. Until they added the silly movie overlay.

The movies have an entirely different feel to them. I wish they would've gotten their own attraction at DHS or something.

Magenta Panther

I'll say it.

See? Told y'all about the mermaids months ago.
They're going into the cave before the drop.

Some of them, if not all, are rather unfriendly...

I can see it now: "Oh look Daddy, it's Ariel! But..what's she...AUGHHHH!!!" :D

Mermaids are cool for PotC. But I'd rather that the sea battle was beefed up and made to look even slightly realistic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hello everyone, new member here. Question about the Pirates changes. If they are mermaids...any idea how they are going to be incorporated? Will they be Audio-Animatronics or an image like Davy Jones and Blackbeard?
Images. Probably with a new score.

tinkerfairy

As much as I think it'd be pretty exciting to throw in the mermaids, I think it's probably gonna scare the kids. A lot. Especially since those mermaids are pretty unfriendly in the movie. ^-^;; I mean, unless you just see them sticking their heads out of the water and watching you or something? That'd be a lot less scary, kind of creepy but ehhh.

WDWFREAK53

I said they "look like figures to me."
It's hard to tell for sure from the image I have, but they fi look like physical objects.

If Mr. Smith has better info...

Ohhh ok...so you've just seen concept art...not actual figures. Gotcha :)

mets7

Ok, I look at it this way. Since the movies are so popular and are tied to the attraction. When the kids and young adults that were not around when this ride was built will not understand. When they ride the ride they will expect to see Jack and characters from the movie, just like everyother ride in WDW that is tied to a movie. Personally I don't see the big deal, it is just keeping up with the current fans of the movies and parks. I know my kids would be asking "Where is captain Jack? Why isn't he in the POTC ride?" You have the pirates league and everything else in that area tied to the movies why not the ride also?

twinnstar

"How long before the "adding to" becomes "removing to make room for"?

thats exactly what im afraid of. the adding doesnt bother me, as long as it keeps with the style and look of the ride. even though i'd love for things to stay the way i remember them, i realize kids today might be confused why jack sparrow isnt anywhere on that ride. mermaids might be cool, who knows? but when i WILL start to get angry is if they remove things or update things to suit the films. pirates is one of the best attractions, and theres a reason for that - dont mess around too much with a good thing. psh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom