Here come the mermaids

ChrisM

Oddly, I heard they are adding Ariel into the attraction as the Mermaid. Something leftover from the opening of Art of Animation section...

I'm sure they have an extra dancing turtle from the Little Mermaid ride. Maybe that can shoehorn that sucker into every attraction.

It'll be the new "hidden Mickey", only way more obvious. Can't wait until they replace the yeti with one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, that is one person's opinion. And while you certainly have those who agree, the vast majority feel otherwise as is evidenced by the continued popularity of the attraction.

Staying popular doesn't mean it's as good or even better as it was.. just that it's still good enough.

The Sparrow additions and Politically Correct changes have altered (quite badly - yes, my opinion) the original premise and progression of the attraction... an attraction that was universally accepted as the greatest theme park attraction every built. A distinction that wasn't in any danger of slipping. People didn't need Jack Sparrow to understand what the pirates were doing or why they would be there.. these changes have not plussed the attraction, they have ALTERED IT and changed it to try to make it like the movies. It's like a mother getting plastic surgery so she can look more like her daughter... contrived and backwards.

ExtinctJenn

The attraction inspired a movie. The movie inspired the attraction. Then it inspired it again. Then again. And now again. At some point, the movie inspiring the attraction is going to cause the original inspiration (attraction to movie) to be gone.

elchippo

I think the subtle flicking of some mer-tails from out of the water (in almost a "did you just see that?!" sort of way) could be a cool addition to the caves...

flynnibus

Premium Member
While I'm not saying this will for sure turn out to be a good adition, I'm just trying to keep an open mind about it until it actually happens.
This notion that nothing should ever be changed or upgraded is ridiculous.

Yes, the notion that nothing should ever be changed is ridiculous - and also not what I said.

Improving the show with improved show technology.. great ways to plus an attraction. Such as adding a more advanced AA (such as how they replace the Auctioneer). CHANGING the story line and premise of the attraction is not simple updating of the attraction. It's changing the attraction.. and in this case.. changing something that was still the most popular attraction and in no need of changes to maintain that success. That was 'messing with success' - because they altered it purely to harmonize two things that were never the same to start with.

If you were never to mess with success, everything would look like an outdated mess. Like CoP does (even that has had a lot of changes, just not any recent)

That is a horrible analogy.. CoP relies on specific references of technology to try to tell the story, which have become outdated to the average person.. that's not 'success' today - that is 'out of date'. It's no longer successful in pulling in crowds or telling it's story effectively. It's not 'success' that will be disrupted by updating the final scene.

The premise, presentation, references, and progression in POTC were in no danger of becoming outdated or stale.

baymenxpac

The attraction inspired a movie. The movie inspired the attraction. Then it inspired it again. Then again. And now again. At some point, the movie inspiring the attraction is going to cause the original inspiration (attraction to movie) to be gone.

yeah...i know what you're saying, but i kind of like this anyway.

here's the thing: the classics in MK are just that, but you can't let them become a museum. to me, this doesn't really infringe upon much of the original story, so long as it doesn't ruin that eerie feel in the cave like @RSoxNo1 said. i'd rather encourage them to feel fine tuning stuff in the spirit of the original attraction. i think that's how you keep the resort fresh for repeat guests.

PurpleRose

I didn't really like Jack Sparrow being added to the ride. I don't like the women chasing the pirates...I will just have to judge these mermaids myself, I guess.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't imagine complaining about this! If they are indeed adding mermaids, to me, it's an upgrade. As long as they're not taking anything away to add them, I'm excited about it! What's the big deal? Do we have to complain about EVERYTHING?

Let's throw the asian pirates in there too.. they'll be hunting for jack sparrow too.. it's an addition.. it's gonna be GREAT!

Instead of looking at things as complaining - try understanding why the resistance exists. It's further diverting the progression and scenes of something that in small doses we are changing the entire thing.

ExtinctJenn

yeah...i know what you're saying, but i kind of like this anyway.

here's the thing: the classics in MK are just that, but you can't let them become a museum. to me, this doesn't really infringe upon much of the original story, so long as it doesn't ruin that eerie feel in the cave like @RSoxNo1 said. i'd rather encourage them to feel fine tuning stuff in the spirit of the original attraction. i think that's how you keep the resort fresh for repeat guests.
Oh I completely agree with you. My statement was just that I find it funny that something inspired by an attraction is slowly remaking the attraction that was apparently so good it inspired a movie. :D

Denscott

Someone explain to me how mermaids fit in with pirates...other than the obvious connection to the 4th movie? The ride itself is kinda devoid of fantasy, it's not like the skeletons talk or move. The story is somewhat fact based...pirates raid a town, pirates pillage and burn the town, pirates have lots of gold and die protecting or trying to steal the gold.

This is such an obvious ploy to cram in a movie tie-in so some more shirts can sold at the gift shop. Unless there is an absolute need for an addition, leave the show well alone. Jack added a bit of fun and made sense (since he's the main character) to the ride...they did a good job shoe-horning that in with minimal plot changes. I think mermaids is a bit much...but that's just me. I also think the bride addition in the Haunted Mansion attic is not near as spooky and mysterious as that cheap mannequin with the thumping heart they had before...so who knows.

I mean, if mermaids were really needed for Pirates wouldn't they have added an AA of Madison in 1984 when Splash came out?

flynnibus

Premium Member
@flynnibus

Ok, I agree with what you're saying.
But I'm just trying to be more optimistic about the whole thing. Who knows, it may not destroy the attraction.

I'm at least waiting until I experience it in person to judge it. That's all.

I don't think it will destroy the attraction.. its too small of a change. But I do believe it will erode and detract from what the original is all about. Do mermaids really speak to the path and consequences of pirates?

Much like when they make a movie.. they have a lot of material they create.. that ultimately they cut from the movie because it turns out to be a distraction or doesn't advance the characters or plot. They cut not just for length - they cut for FOCUS. Just adding stuff because you can doesn't necessarily improve a story. IMO - that's what's happening here... adding because 'they fit', without actually improving upon the tale being told.

The Duck

I'm looking forward to the mermaids. The talking skull right before the drop was removed when Jack Sparrow & Co. were added to the ride. Ever since, this area needed "something". If I was the one running the show, the mermaids will be luring us in towards the drop while saying, "So, you come seeking adventure and salty old pirates, eh? Sure. You've come to the proper place", and then.... down you go! At least, that's how I would do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom