Haunted Mansion refurbishment (HM refurb)

BSikor

I got the opportunity to visit Disneyland and ride The Haunted Mansion with the NBC overlay and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. It just seemed pointless. I like the movie, don't get me wrong but the mods to the mansion didn't seem worth the trouble.

I personally hope they don't decide to do the same here is Florida.

I will take the California version of Space Mountain though. That thing rocked!

like the pepto cake over lay. the NBC overlay is tacky and pointless. if Disney wants to bring/keep NBC into the parks at haloween time, then do it with the parade.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
and just what is wrong with tim burton?

The following examples:
Cabin Boy
Batman Returns
Corpse Bride
Planet of the Apes
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

But I will cut him some slack cause of:
Batman
Beetle Juice
and Edward Scissorhands

:D I like those.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I would add P-Wee's Big Adventure, Ed Wood, Big Fish and Family Dog to that list.

See... I WAS debating about P-Wee... but I did like that as a kid. :lookaroun :eek:

Big Fish was sort of a chic flick... and the ladies seemed to like it (I didnt wanna trounce it.. as I have never seen it.. nor do I plan seeing it. Though Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 77%).

Never seen Family Dog...

and yeah.. Ed Wood was a bit flakey, as a movie, but so was the real Ed Wood in life. lol. :lol:

Lost_in_hollywo

HOw can you say big fish is a "Chick Flick2 if you have never even seen it, its IMO one Burtons best, its perfectly surreal. Although Ed Wood is prob my fave, either that or Beetlejuice.

I was in WDW last year for Mickey's not so Scary. I was very dissapointed in the lack of day time decorations they blew up decorations at dusk for the party. I love the HM it is one of those that is a must ride for me. It would be cool to have some Halloween decorations up even if they are NBC. Heck I would like to have seen more decorations at Christmas time when I was there last Christmas. Actually I wish WDW would holiday decorate more period, ESPECIALLY for Halloween.

You don't think DIsney World does enough for Christmas? Maybe you went to the wrong Park. Because the Magic Kingdom Is covered at christmas. The entire Mainstreet is completely Exploding with christmas decorations. you can't see a picture of mainstreet at christmas and mistaken it for regular season. they have garland rapped all over the entire place. not to mention a huge christmas tree at every park. all Stores have their own christmas tree, Every resort on property has there own if not multiple christmas trees plus garland and lights everywhere. Disney's MGM studios has the entire New York street and Sanf Fran covered in ligts like crazy. And every country in Epcot has it's own celebration of christmas. All the background music has a christmas feel to it. TOmmarow land may eb the one land that lacks in christmas decorations. even adventureland has its small share of Garland and lights. they can't take away from the themeing and make it all look like mainstreet. WOuld be cool to see garland and lights draped arond BTM but that would just take away from the atraction. Maybe you stumbled into Universal last christmas.

CubsRock

Disney Doesn't do enough for Christmas. When I went in december 2004, all that was decorated in the MK was Main Street, I was expecting more as in all of the Magic Kingdom decorated. It left me disappointed.

Uponastar

You don't think DIsney World does enough for Christmas? Maybe you went to the wrong Park. Because the Magic Kingdom Is covered at christmas. The entire Mainstreet is completely Exploding with christmas decorations. you can't see a picture of mainstreet at christmas and mistaken it for regular season. they have garland rapped all over the entire place. not to mention a huge christmas tree at every park. all Stores have their own christmas tree, Every resort on property has there own if not multiple christmas trees plus garland and lights everywhere. Disney's MGM studios has the entire New York street and Sanf Fran covered in ligts like crazy. And every country in Epcot has it's own celebration of christmas. All the background music has a christmas feel to it. TOmmarow land may eb the one land that lacks in christmas decorations. even adventureland has its small share of Garland and lights. they can't take away from the themeing and make it all look like mainstreet. WOuld be cool to see garland and lights draped arond BTM but that would just take away from the atraction. Maybe you stumbled into Universal last christmas.

Agreed!
We went to WDW at Christmas time for the first time last year and Christmas was everywhere! It's a totally different experience from going any other time of the year. There were decorations galore in all the parks and resorts and the background music was great! I don't see how they could have done more without totally overdoing it. We loved it!

bhg469

HOw can you say big fish is a "Chick Flick2 if you have never even seen it, its IMO one Burtons best, its perfectly surreal. Although Ed Wood is prob my fave, either that or Beetlejuice.

I agree with you half way.I hate tim burton and i thought Big fish was excellent.

pajammies

So do you think HM's refurb will be done on time? I don't know if Disney usually makes their deadline but we will be leaving WDW on Sep 15th and I really would hate to miss HM.

twasbrillig

I would assume it's going to open on time...there will, however, always be the possibility that the unthinkable happens, and it remains closed.

CSUFSteve

Yeah, there are a lot of DL Mansion purists that don't like the concept of the HMH overlay either. I would NEVER want the overlay to be permanent, but it's a nice change for the holidays and something I look forward to. I completely disagree that it's a "tacky" overlay, but obviously that's my opinion. The outside, I might give you some points there in that it kinda does have a cluttered / chaos look, but given that "when Halloween creates Christmas, you might see a few flaws", I think that was the point. Walt would have freaked, though, haha, given original plans for our Mansion's exterior!

But the interior is hardly something they just throw together. It is very thorough, very meticulous, and not cheap. That said, they have done this enough now that it's gotten more and more efficient. This year, Mansion went down today (Sept 4), and will re-open Sept 21. That length of downtime would hardly be an issue for Florida given that this marks an off-season period for Florida too. The reason that I was given before is that, in their words, Florida doesn't need to. Locals are not as big a segment of overall revenue and therefore the need to constantly provide reasons for guests to come out is not as much of an influencing factor. One might argue a translation of that stmt is that it's OK for WDW not to keep things fresh, that it's OK not to "plus" things, that it's OK to stagnate for a little while.

That's why Disneyland does so many special "little" things, because it brings back locals; whereas WDW visitors are not going to plan vacations around "little" things. That said, HMH and SWH certainly started out being "little" things but are now MAJOR holiday attendance drivers. Combine that with our other "little" things like the Reindeer Roundup, Believe fireworks and snow, and Christmas decorations literally in every land, and you end with November and December becoming a huge 2 months worth of attendance vs just Thanksgiving week and the 2 weeks of Christmas as in years past. Disneyland regularly reaches capacity on Saturdays during these 2 months, and during the major weeks of the season.

terp79

I love the fact that all you guyz get so outta shape when someone mentions the HMH happening at WDW. I agree, everyone has the right to their own opinions but what I find funny is that one of the top imagineer's, you know the one that everyone seems to drool over and swear he does no wrong (me included) helped bring the HMH to DL. I'd like for you to walk up to him and tell him he should of never lead a team into designing said layover.

Oh and another thing. . . how many of you actually visit WDW durring Christmas? I would love to get the statistics of the one's fussing about it. I could see your point if you're family goes every christmas. Granted some families do, but don't you think they like going for the Chirstmas atmospherics? I've been to Disney World 30, will be 31 when I go down in October for the Disney Consumer Products summit meeting and my family has only went once durring Christmas.

And for those of you knocking Tim Burton you best step back becuz under that goth exterior is a Disney man. He was hired outta art school by Disney and he helped on "The Fox and The Hound" and some other classic Disney animated features before breaking out on his own.

On a positive note the Mansion opens up in less than 8 days and we all shall be happy until Disneyland upgrades their Mansion to have some of the new FX placed in Orlando's version. Face it people our mansion will be a few steps behind no matter what!

wdwmomof3

I just hope that it opens on time for us to able to see it while we are there.

Keeping my fingers crossed for opening on the 12th... the only day we will have at the MK.:brick:

TP2000

Disney Doesn't do enough for Christmas. When I went in december 2004, all that was decorated in the MK was Main Street, I was expecting more as in all of the Magic Kingdom decorated. It left me disappointed.

You should try Disneyland instead. The difference between the two parks could not be more noticeable than at Christmas. The only land not decorated for Christmas in Disneyland is Tomorrowland. The six other lands go all out, especially New Orleans Square and Fantasyland. Main Street is only the start at Disneyland during Christmas.

WDW at Christmas is like a K-Mart Special on Main Street; cheap, tired, and stuck in the 1970's. Disneyland at Christmas is like Nordstrom Around The Entire Park; stylish, lush, upscale, enveloping.

Heck, you don't even have to wait until Christmas to see these types of differences. Just wait three weeks until the Halloween decorations go up in both the Magic Kingdom Park and Disneyland. Magic Kingdom's Halloween worn out decorations look like they were stolen from a Junior High School cafeteria in Kissimmee. Disneyland's decorations look like they were custom built for Disneyland by hip designers with a big budget, which they were. Just check out the pictures online, as pictures don't lie.

But then Disneyland has to impress the trendy SoCal locals who visit often, and WDW claims to not have to do much to impress the tourists from Ohio who visit irregularly. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom