Haunted Mansion refurbishment (HM refurb)

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah...either that or they are going back to the live knight roaming around. That'll get folks out of their seats.:ROFLOL:

Here is my own personal Wish List for the HM upcoming refurb. I am very interested to hear everyone's ideas and dreams for our beloved Mansion's rebirth!

I think we can all safely agree that the areas/scenes of improvement need/should include:

The Stretching Rooms: The illusion is diminished by the visible track marks that are now clearly visible behind the "wallpaper".

The Loading Area: Not much to add, just some TLC.

The Entryway: Sometimes I can see the floating candelabra, but most times, it’s nearly invisible.

The Main Stairway: This area SURELY needs some updating! There is plenty of room/opportunity to add some WOW effects, and PLEASE, lets us REIMAGINE those AWFUL rubber spiders! Imagine spiders that MOVE toward the doombuggies! ANYTHING is better than those Dollar Tree toys we are forced to endure in the present!

The Endless Hallway: Something could be done to spice this up. I think everyone knows how this once effective effect is managed. Also, this doombuggie spin-around is very rough and jerky. A smooth transition and better lighting would be a perfect cleanup for me!

The Hallway of Doors: This scene is an absolute classic, but the WOW factor has certainly aged into oblivion. How awesome would it be if some sort of surprise effect was added to spruce this experience up a bit! Like, for example, a door that actually opens, revealing some spooky new AA! Also, ancient, red-eyed crow....please give way to one of your modern, realistic-looking AA brothers!

Séance Circle: Yes, the Anaheim effects would be great here, but more than anything...PLEASE use black string for the instruments this time around!

The Ballroom: THE definitive scene of the entire attraction. I would hate to see something "cheap" happen here. Whatever rumored enhancement that was tossed around (I don't know the details) would be welcome, as long as it adds some WOW and keeps the original atmosphere of what is already in place.

The Attic: PLEASE add the Anaheim bride! PLEASE remove those carnivalesque heads! Those crappy (I can clearly see your pole) heads are by FAR THE least impressive effect in the history of ALL Disney Haunted Mansion attractions. And DON'T even get me started on that Party Store, glow-in-the-dark bride! The original bride (no face, glowing eyes) was BY FAR a much more effective and creepy creature than what haunts the joint these days. So, therefore, the mere addition of the bride/groom scene that takes place in DL would be a very welcome addition! (I think most of us agree on this. At least we can agree that this area needs some reworking!)

The Graveyard: Another definitive scene. If there is no major reworking of this area (like what was rumored) it at LEAST better receive its MUCH needed SCREEN tightening! That saggy old thing seems to droop more and more every day! Also, destroy the pop-up heads, enhance the sound and lighting, and please do something with the track! This is one of the roughest turn-a rounds in the entire Mansion.

The Hitchhiking Ghosts: Still a GRAND effect! It would be nice if they enhanced the visuals a bit. How creepy would it be if the hitchhikers actually turned their heads to view their fellow travelers! OOOO!

Little Leota: I never got this effect. Why is she so small? Is she a doll? This area seems sort of vacant and dull. After the wonderful encounter with the hitchhiking ghosts, this finale has seemed a bit less-than-amazing. There isn’t much space, but I am sure those crafty Imagineers could cook up some lasting impression as you exit one of WDW's most beloved dark rides!

Gift Shop: Eh, I am indifferent on this one, though I do believe a nice array of classic and proper merchandise (NOTHING to do with the crapola movie) does have a willing and waiting public.

Okay, that’s enough for now. Any additions?

WDWFigment

I think we can all safely agree that the areas/scenes of improvement need/should include:

The Stretching Rooms: The illusion is diminished by the visible track marks that are now clearly visible behind the "wallpaper".

The Loading Area: Not much to add, just some TLC.

The Entryway: Sometimes I can see the floating candelabra, but most times, it’s nearly invisible.:rolleyes:

The Main Stairway: This area SURELY needs some updating! There is plenty of room/opportunity to add some WOW effects, and PLEASE, lets us REIMAGINE those AWFUL rubber spiders!:snore: Imagine spiders that MOVE toward the doombuggies! ANYTHING is better than those Dollar Tree toys we are forced to endure in the present!

The Endless Hallway: Something could be done to spice this up. I think everyone knows how this once effective effect is managed. Also, this doombuggie spin-around is very rough and jerky. A smooth transition and better lighting would be a perfect cleanup for me!

The Hallway of Doors: This scene is an absolute classic, but the WOW factor has certainly aged into oblivion. How awesome would it be if some sort of surprise effect was added to spruce this experience up a bit! Like, for example, a door that actually opens, revealing some spooky new AA! Also, ancient, red-eyed crow....please give way to one of your modern, realistic-looking AA brothers!:eek:

Séance Circle: Yes, the Anaheim effects would be great here, but more than anything...PLEASE use black string for the instruments this time around!:dazzle:

The Ballroom: THE definitive scene of the entire attraction. I would hate to see something "cheap" happen here. Whatever rumored enhancement that was tossed around (I don't know the details) would be welcome, as long as it adds some WOW and keeps the original atmosphere of what is already in place.

The Attic: PLEASE add the Anaheim bride! PLEASE remove those carnivalesque heads! Those crappy (I can clearly see your pole) heads are by FAR THE least impressive effect in the history of ALL Disney Haunted Mansion attractions. And DON'T even get me started on that Party Store, glow-in-the-dark bride!:brick: The original bride (no face, glowing eyes) was BY FAR a much more effective and creepy creature than what haunts the joint these days. So, therefore, the mere addition of the bride/groom scene that takes place in DL would be a very welcome addition! (I think most of us agree on this. At least we can agree that this area needs some reworking!)

The Graveyard: Another definitive scene. If there is no major reworking of this area (like what was rumored) it at LEAST better receive its MUCH needed SCREEN tightening! That saggy old thing seems to droop more and more every day! Also, destroy the pop-up heads, enhance the sound and lighting, and please do something with the track! This is one of the roughest turn-a rounds in the entire Mansion.

The Hitchhiking Ghosts: Still a GRAND effect! It would be nice if they enhanced the visuals a bit. How creepy would it be if the hitchhikers actually turned their heads to view their fellow travelers!:lookaroun OOOO!

Little Leota: I never got this effect.:confused: :shrug: Why is she so small? Is she a doll? This area seems sort of vacant and dull. After the wonderful encounter with the hitchhiking ghosts, this finale has seemed a bit less-than-amazing. There isn’t much space, but I am sure those crafty Imagineers could cook up some lasting impression as you exit one of WDW's most beloved dark rides!

Gift Shop: Eh, I am indifferent on this one, though I do believe a nice array of classic and proper merchandise (NOTHING to do with the crapola movie) does have a willing and waiting public.

Okay, that’s enough for now. Any additions?:king:

Nice comprehensive list. I agree with just about everything you have there!

SilentWindODoom

Well, we have a little list here. Might as well throw in my two cents as well.

The Stretching Rooms: Definitely need to spruce things up a bit. Also, is there some way to make the hanging body more clear. I'll be honest, I only know from places like Doombuggies.com that there is a hanging body up there. Perhaps the flashing lightning can cast the silhouette of the body on one of the walls of the stretching room. I would also enjoy the stretch room perhaps getting some light (Wouldn't it look cool to see some of the faces lit up by the white flash? Maybe it's just me.). Besides that little bit, only upkeep is needed. It's a beautiful effect and the whole preshow is wonderful.

The Main Stairway: Wouldn't mind seeing a ghostly illusion here. Perhaps closeup larger versions of the bust tricks, such as with the griffons or other statues. I... umm... don't do bugs well, and would like to see us get as far away from realistic bugs as humanly possible. :lookaroun

The Endless Hallway: This is indeed a fine effect, although I think the Ghost Host should mention something here about how the hallway keeps stretching on for an eternity. I'm sure that someone can do an exact impression of the voice. Also, let the knight move a bit more, and maybe light him a bit. Make the cool air a bit colder so you get a strong chill.

The Hallway of Doors: Nothing much to say here. Let the set be. The only thing I could add would be a lightning effect through the window that shows the silhouette of something (whether it be a dead tree, a creature of some sort, or even the bride herself). Imagine seeing a yellow pinpoint of light through the window, and then having the lightning show the silhouette of the bride, the pinpoint being her candle.

The Attic: PLEASE don't bring in the crazy, cross-eyed, killer bride from Anaheim. Keep the bride as a sympathetic mournful figure, although a loss of the smurf vibe wouldn't be bad. The heads, while not the most impressive illusion, are not meant to be. They are meant to scare the bejeezus out of unsuspecting guests, and are the only true scare of the show. They could be dressed up a bit more (and no, I don't meen the Disneyland tuxedo treatment), and perhaps they could come out of boxes, or something, rather than random floor spots. I definitely do like, though, their spots glowing as they do now (I don't like the bejeezus being scared out of me, and am fortunately very suspecting). Could we replace the scream with a "Boo!" or other noise that changes from head to head and actually synchs up to when the head pops up? Maybe the screech will come from one head, and a "Boo!" from the next, and a cackle from the third. Now they all scream at the same time. Oh, and don't forget the old Hatbox Ghost. I'm sure we have the capabilities to make him for 40-some years later..

The Graveyard: Just continue the changes in the pop-up heads as I mentioned earlier. Also, perhaps make the ghosts in the background a bit lighter. I can barely see the bicycling ghosts, even if I've been sitting in the dark queue for fifteen minutes (the only way to ride).

The Hitchhiking Ghosts: Interesting idea, original poster. Perhaps by inverting the heads, making them versions of the bust trick, this would easily be possible. Paint the convex end black, so it's not visible when turning around them. Good idea.

Little Leota: I had this idea a while back that I absolutely love. When leaving, you could pass ghost forms of the people in the stretch paintings. I'd drawn a concept of them sitting atop tombstones, but I don't remember where I put it. The diplomat all comically burned, the widow with her axe, the three men covered in quicksand, and the debutante with her dress in tatters (no legs if you think we ca get away with that). That would be a fitting way to tie it all together and give a good memorable goodbye.

Gift Shop: I've said it before, and I'll say if again, if you're going to put in a gift shop, please just keep it off the grounds. As soon as you pass through those gates, it's an engulfing experience. You're on the grounds of an old mansion, and the illusion is ruined by giant blacklight posters of Jack Skellington, or Haunted Mansion Clue sets. You can put it anywhere outside the grounds, perhaps near the archway to Fantasyland, theming it to a carriage house or servant's quarters.

That's my two cents. Hope I was of help, and if I wasn't, well, forget you, I did it anyway. :D

IcicleM

If you've eve looked at the Making of the Haunted Mansion Movie book, in the very back, there are ideas there of what could happen with a Haunted Mansion refurbishment. One includes something at the end, where you see the hitchhiking ghosts with you in the mirror, where instead, in each mirror, you saw some kind of phantomly figure, and each time you passed the mirror, you saw it getting closer and closer to you, and reaching out for you. It looks like a more haunting effect, and I love it.

There's also the new door they had in mind in the hall of doors, where the breathing door actually became a face that was breathing our and reaching through the door at you.

Then there's the brand new loading dock area which looks a bit like the Phantom Manor loading dock. It looks much darker, more ornate, and very classy. It's a taller room with a giant window that flashes because of the lightning outside. Then you would go directly into the staircase area, which would be more lighted and open so you could actually SEE that there's a staircase there, and (like everyone else has been saying), a more ghostly effect could be added there as well.

If you've eve looked at the Making of the Haunted Mansion Movie book, in the very back, there are ideas there of what could happen with a Haunted Mansion refurbishment. One includes something at the end, where you see the hitchhiking ghosts with you in the mirror, where instead, in each mirror, you saw some kind of phantomly figure, and each time you passed the mirror, you saw it getting closer and closer to you, and reaching out for you. It looks like a more haunting effect, and I love it.

There's also the new door they had in mind in the hall of doors, where the breathing door actually became a face that was breathing our and reaching through the door at you.

Then there's the brand new loading dock area which looks a bit like the Phantom Manor loading dock. It looks much darker, more ornate, and very classy. It's a taller room with a giant window that flashes because of the lightning outside. Then you would go directly into the staircase area, which would be more lighted and open so you could actually SEE that there's a staircase there, and (like everyone else has been saying), a more ghostly effect could be added there as well.

This all sounds INCREDIBLE! Does the book state that these ideas are for a future refurb? Or are they just mentioned as concept ideas to what was actually built?

I am SO intrigued by this info!:sohappy:

hokielutz

Well, we have a little list here. Might as well throw in my two cents as well.

The Stretching Rooms: Definitely need to spruce things up a bit. Also, is there some way to make the hanging body more clear. I'll be honest, I only know from places like Doombuggies.com that there is a hanging body up there. Perhaps the flashing lightning can cast the silhouette of the body on one of the walls of the stretching room. I would also enjoy the stretch room perhaps getting some light (Wouldn't it look cool to see some of the faces lit up by the white flash? Maybe it's just me.). Besides that little bit, only upkeep is needed. It's a beautiful effect and the whole preshow is wonderful.......

I love the stretching rooms... but its really annoying to see the wall paper problems that are giving away the directional illusion. Also I do like the ideas of illuminating the eyes of the pictures in that room... expecially as the lights go out...
Also... I know this will really be freaky and I don't have the slightest clue how it could be accomplished... but what if the body hanging above was shown hanging... but then, through some visual wizardry... it was cut loose and fell towards all of us on the floor? then the lights would go dark and the doors open and you proceed to the next queue... leaving everyone startled about what just happened.

yeah yeah... little ones would be scarred for life.

rosie.ca

Little Leota: I had this idea a while back that I absolutely love. When leaving, you could pass ghost forms of the people in the stretch paintings. I'd drawn a concept of them sitting atop tombstones, but I don't remember where I put it. The diplomat all comically burned, the widow with her axe, the three men covered in quicksand, and the debutante with her dress in tatters (no legs if you think we ca get away with that). That would be a fitting way to tie it all together and give a good memorable goodbye.

hmmm that would be kind of neat i could deffinately go for something in that line of thinking ...cool idea :cool:

DisneyChik17

I love the stretching rooms... but its really annoying to see the wall paper problems that are giving away the directional illusion. Also I do like the ideas of illuminating the eyes of the pictures in that room... expecially as the lights go out...
Also... I know this will really be freaky and I don't have the slightest clue how it could be accomplished... but what if the body hanging above was shown hanging... but then, through some visual wizardry... it was cut loose and fell towards all of us on the floor? then the lights would go dark and the doors open and you proceed to the next queue... leaving everyone startled about what just happened.

yeah yeah... little ones would be scarred for life.

I like that effect. It would be neat and easy to pull back and redo each time. Sure, it would be scary, but if they kept it above the screen it wouldn't be too scary for the young ones. I think it would be a good thrill just before the actual ride.

That sounds great, and relatively easy to do. In fact, I think this is the missing effect of the stretching room. Instead of going dark before the falling scream of the victim....the hanging corpse could scream/fall towards the guests, THEN clip the lights just before the crashing bones are heard. That would be a fantastic thrill to intro the experience!

That's exactly the route I've always wished they'd gone as well - the sound of the crashing bones should be heard all around us at floor level in the pitch darkness. Instead they now for some strange reason are heard vaguely crashing *outside* in the hallway as the secret panel/door is opening. Why???

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That's exactly the route I've always wished they'd gone as well - the sound of the crashing bones should be heard all around us at floor level in the pitch darkness. Instead they now for some strange reason are heard vaguely crashing *outside* in the hallway as the secret panel/door is opening. Why???

So as not to offend size 00 people, who may think its there own arm bumping the restraint

Hummer1676

2007 - Haunted Mansion Refurbishment - (6/6/07) A Screamscape reader encountered a survey group asking questions at the exit of the Haunted Mansion the other day. Rather than asking the typical marketing questions, these were all focused on the Haunted Mansion itself where they wanted to know guests favorite parts of the ride, what they thought of the queue, the cast member interaction, the current audio system, if the Mansion appealed to kids under 5, 5-12 or more to an older audience and so on. Sounds like they’re trying to gauge better about what to tweak and what may be considered taboo.

Posted on Screamscape.

I do hope they try to improve the dumb looking spider rooms. What a waste those are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom