Haunted Mansion Refurb.

Mansion Butler

Im thinking about taking a trip over to the world for my second week of my honeymoon and Im wondering what the week after thanksgiving going into the first of Dec would be like on the crowds.

The most dead I ever saw the park before being their daily was the week before Christmas. It should be pretty slow the end of November. As in walk-on-to-Splash-Mountain slow.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
*looks at calendar*

Sept 14th. It has to reopen by then for MNSSHP, as that's the tenative first night.

So can we calculate when it shall close..?
Ideally, yes, but unlikely - unless they throw money at the 3rd shift. As it is they will be pushed for October 1st.

crlachepinochet

If I was at the park Sept. 14th during the day and HM was closed, I wouldn't tell City Hall that it's "Halloween season" and how dare they have the Mansion closed in the middle of September. On the other hand, if I paid lots of extra money to be at a Halloween party on Sept. 14th...

beachclubbasics

I wouldn't call if whining if people are upset that HM will be closed during their trip. I know that a lot of of people on this board go sevr3eal times a year (or even week) to WDW, but for some poeple a trip to WDW is a once or twice in a lifetime thing and they are sad that they will miss a major attraction that they might never have the chance to see agian.

For example, I've been to WDW over 20 times in my life, but took a break for a few years until recently. This year will be my family's 3rd trip in a row, but after this trip I was not planning on going back again until 2010. Now, with both the Teppenyaki Room at Epcot and HM being down when I'm visiting this year I'm going to have to scramble for the fund for a trip next year.

jfries10

True. If I went to Disney World and the Haunted Mansion was the ONLY thing closed, I would be ecstatic. There has to be a happy medium b/t everything being open and driven into the ground and a situation like the first four months of 2005 at Disneyland, when about half of the park was closed...

I am going to WDW in late April, and it sounds like (fingers crossed) all the major refurbs have been pushed back past that date. I went to Disneyland in 2005 and Space Mountain and Splash Mountain were closed, it was very disappointing. But these things have to be done, if something is closed when I am there in April, I will be upset, but oh well, there is more than enough great things to do there anyway!!

ToTBellHop

I wouldn't call if whining if people are upset that HM will be closed during their trip. I know that a lot of of people on this board go sevr3eal times a year (or even week) to WDW, but for some poeple a trip to WDW is a once or twice in a lifetime thing and they are sad that they will miss a major attraction that they might never have the chance to see agian.

For example, I've been to WDW over 20 times in my life, but took a break for a few years until recently. This year will be my family's 3rd trip in a row, but after this trip I was not planning on going back again until 2010. Now, with both the Teppenyaki Room at Epcot and HM being down when I'm visiting this year I'm going to have to scramble for the fund for a trip next year.
Yes, but it is an unreasonable expectation that all of the rides will be running for your visit (with the assumed conclusion to that statement being "and nobody else's). People can be very self-centered when it is their several thousand dollar vacation, but it comes as a surprise to some people that even on days when we are not at Disney World, the parks are still open, someone is screaming on the Tower of Terror right now, and the pirates are "yo ho"ing. They can't do that all day, every day for every guest's vacation. We've all experienced closures of some of our favorites during vacations (luckily, my favorite, the ToT never has to completely close :)). It happens.

raven

I visited DL last year at this time for the first time since I was 9 years old. I really wanted to go on HM since it's the original and that attraction really made me want to work for Disney when I grew up. But I found out that the HM was going to be closed during my visit. At least I knew about it ahead of time. I didn't whine about it because I knew it was going to be closed even though I still wanted to ride it. My point is that even though it was my favorite attraction and I wanted to ride it I was really happy they were taking care of it....even if it ment that it was closed while I was there. :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wouldn't call if whining if people are upset that HM will be closed during their trip..
They might whine, but they have to understand the attractions won't last forever; be it a minor rehab or major overhaul, they have to close at some point for varying lengths of time. Even in the old days of top-notch maintainence budgets it was the same.

E Tickets will always be closed when tens of thousands of people visit. Someone will always miss out - that`s the nature of the parks and their attractions. They have to remember even Disney isn`t so magical the rides will never deteriorate. As it is the WDW HM has been fully operational for 26 years this coming April, and has never to the best of my knowledge had a complete rebuild.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Guessing a 2 month refurb???? give or take. That would mean it is to close in July?? - seems like a bad time to close it.
There is no GOOD time !
I was really just taking a shot in the dark on the re-furb time frame, I have no idea exactly what it would be.

Very true that there would not be a good time to close it, but it seems that there would be some times that are worse than others. I would have thought they would do it in the off season, not the June/July/August time frame - aren't those the busiest months at WDW?

I must also agree that the HM is one of the best attractions, and that indeed makes it harder to close.
There is no OFF season !

I would ! See my previous post about entitlement issues.
Mission Accomplished
BTW-The ring in the concrete is a real ring, not a part of a gate!!
:zipit: :zipit: :zipit:

jmvd20

There is no GOOD time !

There is no OFF season !

Very true - but in the context of lesser of 2 evils - I would have guessed there would have been a less evil time to close it. For example, a 3 month stretch when I have no plans or thoughts of being there :D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Very true - but in the context of lesser of 2 evils - I would have guessed there would have been a less evil time to close it. For example, a 3 month stretch when I have no plans or thoughts of being there :D

At least you understand. :wave:

IcicleM

It's so true that there really is no true "Off" time or season, haha, because what are we NUTS?! It's Disney World! I think one of the best times is 2 weeks after New Year's Day.

I would definitely love to see pictures of the Haunted Mansion with the lights on. Like, some parts I would love to see are the Pepper's Ghost effect in the Ballroom. I would LOVE to walk around in the ballroom and see underneath where the Doom buggies go. I'd like to see how all the lights and mirrors, etc. are positioned because I would love to recreate the effect at home for Halloween or something. When you're in the car (at night) and you turn the light on, you can see the effect (in a sense) if you look at the windshield.

Do you guys remember the OLD Disney Channel, (I'm talkin' Adventures in Wonderland) where now and again, they would show you different effects you can do? Once, they showed how to recreate the moving busts in the Library. COOL stuff. I wish they would bring that stuff back. I love learning how to make imagineering effects at home. And remember Tom Morrow, who would show us around the parks and teach us about different techniques imagineers used on Disney Rides.

I'd like an in depth tour of The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean and some of the other classics. The closest thing I got to that was the Keys to the Kingdom Tour (AWESOME stuff, it's where I learned about The Little Mermaid Musical in 2004)

ToTBellHop

It's so true that there really is no true "Off" time or season, haha, because what are we NUTS?! It's Disney World! I think one of the best times is 2 weeks after New Year's Day.

I would definitely love to see pictures of the Haunted Mansion with the lights on. Like, some parts I would love to see are the Pepper's Ghost effect in the Ballroom. I would LOVE to walk around in the ballroom and see underneath where the Doom buggies go. I'd like to see how all the lights and mirrors, etc. are positioned because I would love to recreate the effect at home for Halloween or something. When you're in the car (at night) and you turn the light on, you can see the effect (in a sense) if you look at the windshield.

Do you guys remember the OLD Disney Channel, (I'm talkin' Adventures in Wonderland) where now and again, they would show you different effects you can do? Once, they showed how to recreate the moving busts in the Library. COOL stuff. I wish they would bring that stuff back. I love learning how to make imagineering effects at home. And remember Tom Morrow, who would show us around the parks and teach us about different techniques imagineers used on Disney Rides.

I'd like an in depth tour of The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean and some of the other classics. The closest thing I got to that was the Keys to the Kingdom Tour (AWESOME stuff, it's where I learned about The Little Mermaid Musical in 2004)
yeah...I miss Tom Morrow 2.0 showing us around WDW...and I miss the old Walt Disney World Inside/Out show with Brianne Leary, J.D. Roth, and George Foreman...it must've been at least 10 years since that was on the air, though...that was back when the Tower of Terror was new!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Instead of refurbing the HM why not build a new one on the site of Mission Space, you wouldnt need to spend as much on effects then.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You guys need to catch the Tony Baxter TV special where he took a guided walking tour through the DLC Mansion with lights on.

Ragetti

My thoughts on this:

HM is my second fav ride, so naturally I will be disappointed if it is closed during my my visit, given that my last visit was 13 years ago, and this will be my first visit with my daughter.

Some regulars on boards such as this forget that not everyone here gets to go 2-3 times a year, or even once a year. For some of us, once a decade is the best we get. NATURALLY we're gonna want out favorite bits to be open. Not to mention that going costs a fair bit of change and some folks (not me, but some) get the attitude of "for this kind of money, it'd BETTER be open."

However, as an engineer myself, I understand that such schedules are sometimes out of anyone's control, and they do the best they can. My only complaint of this happening is that the current "operational updates" page currently shows NOTHING planned for June 2007 in MK. I used that page to help plan my vacation. And given that you really need to plan a Disney vacation for June MONTHS in advance, they really have an obligation to keep the public informed of such closures, even just POSSIBLE closures, IMO.

As is generally the case with customer relations, it's all about the communication.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
And given that you really need to plan a Disney vacation for June MONTHS in advance, they really have an obligation to keep the public informed of such closures, even just POSSIBLE closures, IMO.

As is generally the case with customer relations, it's all about the communication.

With the ops schedule, knowing anything more then 90 days out really is just throwing darts and guess work though. They do need to make a comitment to getting the schedules in advance, but sometimes there's really nothing they can do. Say you schedule it for one week, then have to push it forward and the family gets mad because it got pushed forward and they rescheduled theior vacation to avoid the first listed closure.

Until the details are solid, they can't list it, and they can't have solid dates until we get close to the actual closure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom