Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

AndyS2992

I'd love for the Hatbox Ghost to come to the Magic Kingdom, I think it looks great :) However I am fine with it being a Disneyland exclusive for the 60th celebration and so I am fine to wait a year or two for him to arrive in Orlando.

In regards to the exclusivity argument, I think the parks should each have their own exclusives to make each one special and give more of a reason for people to visit them all, however I think exclusivity should stick with shows and rides themselves and not enhancements. For example the Matterhorn can stay a Disneyland exclusive, that's fine however if a ride that is already cloned at other Disney parks get an enhancement at one park, it should be made at all of them eg Hatbox Ghost, the new Big Thunder Mountain lift hill and such.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd love for the Hatbox Ghost to come to the Magic Kingdom, I think it looks great :) However I am fine with it being a Disneyland exclusive for the 60th celebration and so I am fine to wait a year or two for him to arrive in Orlando.

In regards to the exclusivity argument, I think the parks should each have their own exclusives to make each one special and give more of a reason for people to visit them all, however I think exclusivity should stick with shows and rides themselves and not enhancements. For example the Matterhorn can stay a Disneyland exclusive, that's fine however if a ride that is already cloned at other Disney parks get an enhancement at one park, it should be made at all of them eg Hatbox Ghost, the new Big Thunder Mountain lift hill and such.
I think the addition of Hatty is a bit more than the projection and other enhancements of Big Thunder (which I do agree, I hope we get). Hatty, however, I think should stay at Disneyland. Probably won't though. He's too marketable (even when he didn't exist...now that he does?...pfft, done deal)

George Lucas on a Bench

That looks really good, but I only wish he didn't blink. And, the sound effect is a bit annoying. Maybe it's not so obvious in person?

Oh, it is. The animation of the face ruins it for me. It's just too silly and regardless of how advanced and expensive the technology may be, to me it just looks like a screen with a CGI face not that dissimilar from those God awful CGI Hitchhiking Ghosts at WDW. The laugh is annoying and you can hear it in the graveyard. I personally laughed at the complete lack of subtlety in the scene. He's surrounded by a crapload of hatboxes, including a bunch stacked on a hand truck, because he's the Hatbox Ghost. Get it? Hatbox Ghost. Hatboxes. Hatboxes everywhere!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, it is. The animation of the face ruins it for me. It's just too silly and regardless of how advanced and expensive the technology may be, to me it just looks like a screen with a CGI face not that dissimilar from those God awful CGI Hitchhiking Ghosts at WDW. The laugh is annoying and you can hear it in the graveyard. I personally laughed at the complete lack of subtlety in the scene. He's surrounded by a crapload of hatboxes, including a bunch stacked on a hand truck, because he's the Hatbox Ghost. Get it? Hatbox Ghost. Hatboxes. Hatboxes everywhere!
Makes me hope even more we don't get him. Let him stay there.

Hopefully Disney will clean some of that up over the next year or so...but, I can see how it's really distracting. The "swishing" sound effect during the head swap is not required (and takes away from the brevity of the scene) and his laugh is likewise, not required. It's nice, but too cartoonish for what is still supposed to be the "scary" part of the mansion, imho.

Sped2424

When has the mansion EVER been known for subtlety? Death pun after death pun, almost every creepy and crawly shoved into scenes as possible. It's this very line between overtop silly and genuinely scary that has kept the mansion a classic in my book. As for the hatbox I couldn't disagree with you more. Unlike constance who fails because she is entirely a projection hatbox works because he is indeed physical and not physical where it matters. His face should look ethereal and the way it does in comparison to his body.

He works because he has a presence and the way they programed his body is fantastic, slight sway, grip on the cane, and a little wobble with the actual hatbox it's just a knock out. As for those other boxes they might actually make the attic scene work better now, considering the bride is a killer known for beheading. Whose to say her beloved's aren't in those boxes and that the HBG was also a victim to her axe? Either way he actually helps the still mess that is constance, I can deal with her retcon, but I need them to improve her figure and in fact just give us a different one. And maybe make her silent as sad as that is to say.

Last edited:

Progress.City

Why do the parks always have to have the same things?

Hopefully it stays a Disneyland-exclusive.
Ah, no. DLR rides are all better than its WDW counterparts except Splash and TZToT. IMHO, WDW needs to catch up big time. And I don't accept the argument of other attractions at the other parks because even they are outdated. Also, DLR has several unique rides (E tickets) that aren't even at WDW (and should be) in just the MK alone!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Suggested by who? The only suggestion I have seen is that had it worked it would have been copied like the rest of the attraction.
Insinuated by an earlier post. That's how I read it.

I'm not saying it was ever planned for Orlando. I'm also not saying it wasn't. I've not seen any evidence either way though I think I have the original AA chart somewhere.

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

Why do the parks always have to have the same things?

Hopefully it stays a Disneyland-exclusive.
I guess I think the same way. While I go to WDW far more often than DL, I like that there are elements at each that are exclusive (i'm in the minority, but I love the overlays for both HM and IASMW during the holidays). I like that each coast has special items (Hatbox being one of them). I look at it the same was as international Disney parks- there are amazing things at each that we may never get.

180º

Insinuated by an earlier post. That's how I read it.

I'm not saying it was ever planned for Orlando. I'm also not saying it wasn't. I've not seen any evidence either way though I think I have the original AA chart somewhere.
Any blueprint predating August 1969 should suffice. Right? Do we have any of those?

Castle Cake Apologist

It appears that there is a hatbox for each of Constance's husbands. May not make you feel any better about it, but thought did appear to go into that detail of the tableau.

As for his cartoony appearance... Is that really anything new for the Mansion? He looks to me to be pretty comparable to the original, just animated and much more fully realized rather than a mostly still figure covered in the world's supply of plastic wrap ala the original.

Travel Junkie

I did not constitute anything with just this one statement you mention. But reading this entire thread and I start to see a trend. And then reading past threads and current ones, I see a very clear picture.

Of course, I would not expect anyone to admit to this.

As Raven24 said virtually all DLR praise on this site comes from people who consider themselves WDW people. You may want to ask them why they feel that way. There are only about 5-10 DLR locals who post regularly on this site. That’s it. If a pro DLR bias exists on this site it is not from DLR people at all.

As to this thread in particular any argument against the HBG in WDW centers around wanting to create uniqueness in the parks and is argued by people on both coasts. It has nothing to do with a “you can’t have him, he’s ours” mentality.

As much as certain people want to boil it down to DLR vs WDW, that’s not the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom