Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

Phineas

Considering WDW doesn't have a piano in the attic, and if they're willing to sacrifice some wedding portrait space, it'd be possible to replicate the original DL attic layout. Move Constance up to the first dormer and stick HBG where Beating-Heart was. I'd honestly prefer that over DL's solution.
Or, OR-replace Constance with Beating-Heart. And all will be right in the world. Other than the Dreamworks rejects in the HHG Mirror Scene.

JediMasterMatt

I love Disney Parks. I've spent many thousands of dollars visiting them, upgrading photography equipment to improve my memories of them, and buying countless keepsakes for home; but, one thing that will never cease to amaze me is...

Haunted Mansion's subculture of extreme fandom.

Always makes me laugh.

Not a 2015 Hatbox Ghost sinister chuckle either.

I LOVE the Haunted Mansion (especially WDW's can't believe I'm saying this... better maintained and plussed version) and it's either my favorite or tied for favorite Disney attraction along with DL's Pirates. Looking forward to seeing Hattie in August (if not sooner). He's a welcome addition to what was always a transition point in the ride.

WildcatDen

So, the new 'rumor' is that WDW is NOT getting a copy of Hatty, but a totally new feature, "Chesty". It will be a ghost animatronic based on Jessica from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. One minute, her chest is there, and the next, poof, it is gone and shown floating over your doom buggy. Not sure where the scene will be, but it may be wise, if the clarity is there, to put it in a place where you can remain seated for a little while longer. . .

Buried20KLeague

So, the new 'rumor' is that WDW is NOT getting a copy of Hatty, but a totally new feature, "Chesty". It will be a ghost animatronic based on Jessica from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. One minute, her chest is there, and the next, poof, it is gone and shown floating over your doom buggy. Not sure where the scene will be, but it may be wise, if the clarity is there, to put it in a place where you can remain seated for a little while longer. . .

Fe Maiden

After watching the video I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. I'm not really sure why but I've been trying to figure out why I'm not more excited.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Not scary enough. The thing that I loved about the HB Ghost was that he looked terrifying. The maniacal grin and that stare with the contrast of the black and white was scary.

2. Technology. I guess its a double-edged sword since the tech caught up enough to bring him back but at the same time it's a little too techie. Always felt that way with the bride too.

3. The reveal is way too fast. I'm not an expert on intervals with effects and # of doombuggies moving past a certain point in a 10 second time frame, but I think it would be way creepier if it was a slower reveal.

4. 40 years of mythology is hard to live up to.

raven

All this for an AA?

Screw it, just turn the WDW version into a walk through like the original attraction was meant to be. Then I could say to the DL people, "we got the original!" as I watch them cry. And I will stick my tongue out like this! :p

Eh, that was an original "concept" that they had but it wasn't in stone. They wanted to be more in control of the experience and control what they can, and cannot, see so that idea was ditched.

Watching that video puts me at ease a little now because I can see the HBG is not actually inside the attic scene. It's just outside the window from the attic right before your vehicle turns backwards to go down the hill. I'm not a fan of WDW copying everything that DL gets because it doesn't make them unique. So I say DL can keep the HBG and the WDW can get even something better.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Eh, that was an original "concept" that they had but it wasn't in stone. They wanted to be more in control of the experience and control what they can, and cannot, see so that idea was ditched.

Watching that video puts me at ease a little now because I can see the HBG is not actually inside the attic scene. It's just outside the window from the attic right before your vehicle turns backwards to go down the hill. I'm not a fan of WDW copying everything that DL gets because it doesn't make them unique. So I say DL can keep the HBG and the WDW can get even something better.

I think in Rolly Crump's book, he stated he would have preferred to see it as a walk-through. I guess we will never know if his preference would have been better.

EPCOTCenterLover

IMO There should be several unique attractions and elements to each Disney resort around the world but also similarities. If something fits in well, sure clone it. I don't believe in the case of the HBG he was designed to go in WDW where he was actually in DL. That's all.

On a general level it would be beneficial on Disney's part to create enough unique attractions and parks that distinguish them from each other and encourage guests to visit both resorts. When Disneyland was looking at adding a 2nd gate, the primary driver was to turn it into a full fledged resort which would draw more visitors outside the local zone. They failed with DCA in terms of it being a poor park at the beginning and even today it is considered DHS with Carsland. That's not going to be enough to draw visitors to try DLR if all they know is WDW.

One of the original idea's proposed as a 2nd gate was Disney Sea. That would have succeeded in bringing more visitors in from outside the west coast. That's what I mean by uniqueness. Major attractions, lands, and/ parks that distinguish them from their siblings. I want siblings, not identical twins.

That is absolutely ridiculous.
DCA is "considered DHS with Carsland"? DHS should be so good. In its current state, DHS is several notches below the revitalized DCA.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
That looks really good, but I only wish he didn't blink. And, the sound effect is a bit annoying. Maybe it's not so obvious in person?

Yep! The sound effect is a bit silly. The shimmery vanish sound would probably be better served at a lower pitch and the closed mouth chuckle is quite annoying. The face is fine to me but the "on-off" abrupt blinking is a bit hokey. I really like the swaying of the hatbox! Nice little touch there...But there are some minor things I'd like tweaked, IMHO.

Overall I'd give it a solid 8/10 with room for improvement on the sound effects, big fig's facial animation and the desire to include the excluded of "wobbling hand" on cane from the original HBG. Which brings me to a question I pose to the forum:

Hatty's age? What is is? I always assumed he "passed" in his late 60s...but he's rather wide-eyed. The fried white hair makes him seem old too. But, then again he does have that youthful looking glow.;) Do you think his age affects how we should perceive the character NOW vs how he was THEN? Does his "voice" fit?

Last edited:

Bairstow

After watching the video I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. I'm not really sure why but I've been trying to figure out why I'm not more excited.

1. Not scary enough. The thing that I loved about the HB Ghost was that he looked terrifying. The maniacal grin and that stare with the contrast of the black and white was scary.

2. Technology. I guess its a double-edged sword since the tech caught up enough to bring him back but at the same time it's a little too techie. Always felt that way with the bride too.

3. The reveal is way too fast. I'm not an expert on intervals with effects and # of doombuggies moving past a certain point in a 10 second time frame, but I think it would be way creepier if it was a slower reveal.

You know what the problem is?
The eyes are too big, they blink, and the brow bones narrow somehow.
The original sculpt gave the impression of a rigid skull with tiny eyeballs suspended in it.
By having the new one do all this extra "stuff" they make the figure look too much like a cartoon of a skull instead of a real skull that appears to be haunted.

Interesting video, but with spoilers out the wazoo:

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Or, OR-replace Constance with Beating-Heart. And all will be right in the world. Other than the Dreamworks rejects in the HHG Mirror Scene.

As much as I loathed Connie with her shoehorned tech and out of character style then, she does pair better with Hatty now. But I'm not convinced that's necessarily a good thing. And, I'm pretty sure I still hate her...Sorry Connie.

//It's just your dang mouth. If you were mute. Like "Silent as the Grave" mute. I'd like you A LOT better! Plus your face is just so ugly. I'm not entirely convinced you're even dead.//

I think if the Imagineers were to ever "whiteout" her eyes in the face projection, and then have her simply just wave the hatchet up and down, it would look TONS better. Give us a compromise! The dialog and visage is just appalling says THIS guy. "Shut her up!"

Then and only then will I accept your bringing New Hatty to the East Coast Attic.

Marlins1

Looked pretty cool to me - I want it in MK but I know it will be a while if ever.

kk

HMF

So how many brides have there been now at each house?
DL-5
HereComestheBrideDLUPDATED.jpg

WDW-4
HereComestheWDWbride.jpg

Last edited:

Progress.City

I've watched it. The Hat Box Ghost at DL. Here:

And I'm not happy. In fact, I'm about to use some pretty strong language. You've been warned.

Here I go. I absolutely hate WDW and the TDO organization which runs it! Well, I don't really hate WDW. I hate what it has become under the misguided management of TDO and Ma Disney!

Ugh! It irks me that they got the Hat Box Ghost over there at DLR (which I absolutely love, by the way). It's not that they got the Hat Box Ghost and the fact the we didn't get it that really has me upset. It's that they got this upgrade and there has been no announcement as to when WDW is getting the same upgrades DLR recently received for Big Thunder. The Thunder Mountain upgrades, by the way, include a spectacular explosion with real fire at the finale of the ride plus new ultra smooth tracks.

But I'm not hating WDW because of just two rides. I'm hating WDW for messing up the rehab for Space Mountain. I'm upset that WDW is still running the 1970's version of Peter Pan. I'm upset at just about everything at WDW except Splash Mountain and Mine Train. Not one ride has been upgraded or has been announced for upgrading (besides Soaring). Besides Soaring, the only rides being worked on are TSMM (for capacity reasons) and Frozen (only because the movie is extremely popular). While Nothing ever gets improved at WDW, DLR is planning to upgrade just about every ride.

This is why I now hate and seriously loath WDW. I am sure I will love Avatar when it opens. I am sure I will also love whatever they do with the Star Wars franchise. But I will hate everything else. When Avatar opens, I will just pretend the rest of WDW is just a figment of my imagination and doesn't really exist. That's how perturbed I am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom