Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

Bairstow

DL-5
HereComestheBrideDLUPDATED.jpg

WDW-4
HereComestheWDWbride.jpg

Thanks!

I'm kind of partial to the second one, myself.
It's the one I remember seeing as a kid.

Progress.City

So, the new 'rumor' is that WDW is NOT getting a copy of Hatty, but a totally new feature, "Chesty". It will be a ghost animatronic based on Jessica from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. One minute, her chest is there, and the next, poof, it is gone and shown floating over your doom buggy. Not sure where the scene will be, but it may be wise, if the clarity is there, to put it in a place where you can remain seated for a little while longer. . .
I do not like this post. Where's the hate button???

Bairstow

Found something else cool at Long Forgotten:

Check out this promotional photo of Yale Gracey with a prototype Hatbox Ghost!
It's way more horrifying when the heads don't match; to me this setup suggests that the head on the Ghost's shoulders is a more-cartoony, distorted spirit head, while the desiccated head in the hatbox is part of the ghost's former body.

Combined with the hanging body you see in the stretching room, a setup like this would serve to establish a mythology for the Mansion that corpses are corpses, but when we die our souls start to look like Marc Davis artwork.

http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/05/hat-box-ghost.html

b-1.jpg

ToTBellHop

Found something else cool at Long Forgotten:

Check out this promotional photo of Yale Gracey with a prototype Hatbox Ghost!
It's way more horrifying when the heads don't match; to me this setup suggests that the head on the Ghost's shoulders is a more-cartoony, distorted spirit head, while the desiccated head in the hatbox is part of the ghost's former body.

Combined with the hanging body you see in the stretching room, a setup like this would serve to establish a mythology for the Mansion that corpses are corpses, but when we die our souls start to look like Marc Davis artwork.

http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/05/hat-box-ghost.html

b-1.jpg
Creepy! Love it.

Progress.City

DL-5

WDW-4
HereComestheWDWbride.jpg
I am beginning to understand why I like the DL version better. The WDW version may be longer with additional scenes, but it doesn't leave me with the same effect the DL version does and I always wondered why. Now that I can compare the brides, I see now it's the details in the DL version that make it better.

Bairstow

I am beginning to understand why I like the DL version better. The WDW version may be longer with additional scenes, but it doesn't leave me with the same effect the DL version does and I always wondered why. Now that I can compare the brides, I see now it's the details in the DL version that make it better.

According to the article, the two houses actually had the same brides, though Disney World tried several different hairstyles and face paint schemes on the third bride whereas Disneyland tried putting a veil over the third bride's head for a while (resulting in the "extra" 4th bride).

Progress.City

According to the article, the two houses actually had the same brides, though Disney World tried several different hairstyles and face paint schemes on the third bride whereas Disneyland tried putting a veil over the third bride's head for a while (resulting in the "extra" 4th bride).
I just read the comparisons to the Adams cartoons. Why didn't Disney just license the Adams Family? It's so inspired by it to every little detail that I'm shocked Adams didn't sue Disney for copyright violations!

Bairstow

I just read the comparisons to the Adams cartoons. Why didn't Disney just license the Adams Family? It's so inspired by it to every little detail that I'm shocked Adams didn't sue Disney for copyright violations!

I dunno. I kind of think House on Haunted Hill was the prime source for Haunted Mansion, just like Captain Blood was the prime source for Pirates of the Caribbean.

Progress.City

Probably.
I read the entire thing 4 years ago.
He compares the Imagineers concept art with art from the Adams comics. He shows them side by side and it's almost as if the Imagineers opened the comic and sketched their own variation of it - almost detail for detail.

Admiral01

Premium Member
HM is one of the few rides I prefer the WDW version over the DL version. It has gotten a lot of love, and the extra scenes are nice to have. Not that the DL version isn't fantastic. I love that when you ride the DL version you can get a good understanding about why the ride is the way it is, like the stretching room. It served a purpose, which is really neat.

I really don't mind if the HBG comes to WDW. It would be neat to see on this coast, but I would be just fine with it staying in DL for me to experience there.

Either way, it is great to see the HBG back in the mansion after 46 years.

George Lucas on a Bench

DL-5

WDW-4
HereComestheWDWbride.jpg

They're all preferable to the current bride. I guess I'd consider her a guilty pleasure at this point, after all this time...funny how that happens. But I still want to see her removed. I'll never forget the first time I encountered that broad. You round a corner in the attic and then, out of nowhere, it's Renee Zellweger in the HM? Completely out of place, looks terrible, pulled me right out of the whole experience.

Disney Analyst

I have ridden both mansions. While I do enjoy the added stair scene in Magic Kingdoms, that's about the only difference... Sure the hallway is part of the ride... but you walk by that in DL so it's not like it is lost... I felt as if the attic was larger in the Disneyland version? I remember being disappointed how fast you were through the MK attic. I also feel like the graveyard is better at DL, but maybe I don't recall it well enough.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just look at how many other lengthy posts are on Long Forgotten. Almost every one is highlighting probable bits of inspiration.
My opinion (and it was a good crticle), but I thought his Addams parallels were a bit less solid than some of the other ones he's written at length about.

Castle Cake Apologist

DL-5

WDW-4
HereComestheWDWbride.jpg

Aren't the third and fourth brides at Disneyland the same figure? I thought they just put a veil over her face? As much as I dislike Constance, I do think she looks better than that weird third one did.

I'm still partial to the second one. It may be because it's the one I mostly grew up with, but I find her the creepiest of them.

Also, why does our Constance always look so much better than Disneyland's? They're both terrible, but the effect always worked better for me on WDW's figure. Are the mannequins different?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom