Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

NearTheEars

No. He was never a part of the MK Haunted Mansion lore. Only Disneyland lore.

He should be left on the West Coast, where he had (at least according to rumor) a home.

Hatty is unique to their version of Haunted Mansion, as was the lore of it (there was never fan lore that he was in the MK version, because it's quite clear he never was...).

We have the Escher stair room, they have Hatty. We have animated hitchhiking ghosts, they have two pet cemeteries (for the time being). Attractions cannot and SHOULD not be the same at every park, even if they are the same general theme.

Agreed. Like I said early on here I think it would be more special if it stayed at DL. I thought it was weird seeing the HBG merchant at WDW, because outside of us here, very few guests would know that they bought a shirt or popcorn bucket with a character on it with little connection to the WDW attraction.

Yes, everyone, I'm aware that HBG was meant for both, but obviously that never came to be..... Yet.

To be completely honest, though, if he came here, I'd still end up happy to see him.

lazyboy97o

Agreed. Like I said early on here I think it would be more special if it stayed at DL. I thought it was weird seeing the HBG merchant at WDW, because outside of us here, very few guests would know that they bought a shirt or popcorn bucket with a character on it with little connection to the WDW attraction.

Yes, everyone, I'm aware that HBG was meant for both, but obviously that never came to be..... Yet.

To be completely honest, though, if he came here, I'd still end up happy to see him.
That merchandise was aimed at people already well aware of the Hatbox Ghost. The story spread on the internet and Disney fans who go to Walt Disney World also have internet access.

NearTheEars

That merchandise was aimed at people already well aware of the Hatbox Ghost. The story spread on the internet and Disney fans who go to Walt Disney World also have internet access.

I'm sure most have internet. And because I do, and knew the story, and I didn't feel right buying it. Not criticizing anyone who did, just my feelings on it.

This isn't that good of a comparison, but I'm also weird about buying souvenirs for people not on a trip.

I've gone to several cities around the U.S. for work and my fiancé always says "make sure you buy me something." And I always say: No, why would you want a shirt etc. from a place you've never been?

Stevek

B
Let's all be honest here. The DL people see DL as Harvard and WDW as a state school. They will not be in favor of anything that they think will tarnish this "image"

We don't need to beat around the bush about this anymore.
Not really. I've been going to Disneyland for 40+ years and I find certain experiences at WDW to be superior to DL. I don't think (at least to me) this whole debate about the HBG is about tarnishing any image. To me, the discussion is only about providing unique experiences at each resort. If I visit WDW again, I don't want to see the same things there that I can see at DL. I appreciate the fact that Mansion, Splash, Thunder, Space, Small World...all different that what we have out here. But for something like Mermaid, I won't even bother with it at WDW since beyond the exterior, it's the same experience at DCA. All that being said, does that mean that there aren't a subset of fans that feel exactly the way you state above? Yeah, I'm sure they exist but they are the same type of folks that feel that WDW is superior and uprooted the families, left there jobs...all so they could live closer to the "magic."

Californian Elitist

B

Not really. I've been going to Disneyland for 40+ years and I find certain experiences at WDW to be superior to DL. I don't think (at least to me) this whole debate about the HBG is about tarnishing any image. To me, the discussion is only about providing unique experiences at each resort. If I visit WDW again, I don't want to see the same things there that I can see at DL. I appreciate the fact that Mansion, Splash, Thunder, Space, Small World...all different that what we have out here. But for something like Mermaid, I won't even bother with it at WDW since beyond the exterior, it's the same experience at DCA. All that being said, does that mean that there aren't a subset of fans that feel exactly the way you state above? Yeah, I'm sure they exist but they are the same type of folks that feel that WDW is superior and uprooted the families, left there jobs...all so they could live closer to the "magic."

I didn't even bother replying to that ridiculous statement.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've been going to Disneyland for 40+ years and I find certain experiences at WDW to be superior to DL. I don't think (at least to me) this whole debate about the HBG is about tarnishing any image. To me, the discussion is only about providing unique experiences at each resort. If I visit WDW again, I don't want to see the same things there that I can see at DL. I appreciate the fact that Mansion, Splash, Thunder, Space, Small World...all different that what we have out here. But for something like Mermaid, I won't even bother with it at WDW since beyond the exterior, it's the same experience at DCA. All that being said, does that mean that there aren't a subset of fans that feel exactly the way you state above? Yeah, I'm sure they exist but they are the same type of folks that feel that WDW is superior and uprooted the families, left there jobs...all so they could live closer to the "magic."

I actually fully agree with you and I abandoned my life to live close to Disneyland. I appreciate differences, not homogenization. Disney should not be manufacturing this stuff for both resorts. They should have unique experiences. Now, I don't think this applies to HBG as much, because it is only one character that you view for 10 seconds on the ride, but it is something that sets DL's apart. That said, there are already numerous things that set these attractions apart. Eh, screw this, I'm going to Disneyland! See ya!

Sage of Time

Considering WDW doesn't have a piano in the attic, and if they're willing to sacrifice some wedding portrait space, it'd be possible to replicate the original DL attic layout. Move Constance up to the first dormer and stick HBG where Beating-Heart was. I'd honestly prefer that over DL's solution.
Yeah, same. I really don't want to lose the view out of the attic.

Travel Junkie

So correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, but aren't you saying that some of DL rides should be introduced into WDW? I agree about the sharing of technology such as Dinosaur and Indiana Jones but I think Indiana Jones is the superior ride and I would like to see it replace the IJ show in HS.

IMO There should be several unique attractions and elements to each Disney resort around the world but also similarities. If something fits in well, sure clone it. I don't believe in the case of the HBG he was designed to go in WDW where he was actually in DL. That's all.

On a general level it would be beneficial on Disney's part to create enough unique attractions and parks that distinguish them from each other and encourage guests to visit both resorts. When Disneyland was looking at adding a 2nd gate, the primary driver was to turn it into a full fledged resort which would draw more visitors outside the local zone. They failed with DCA in terms of it being a poor park at the beginning and even today it is considered DHS with Carsland. That's not going to be enough to draw visitors to try DLR if all they know is WDW.

One of the original idea's proposed as a 2nd gate was Disney Sea. That would have succeeded in bringing more visitors in from outside the west coast. That's what I mean by uniqueness. Major attractions, lands, and/ parks that distinguish them from their siblings. I want siblings, not identical twins.

Let's all be honest here. The DL people see DL as Harvard and WDW as a state school. They will not be in favor of anything that they think will tarnish this "image"

We don't need to beat around the bush about this anymore.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Travel Junkie

Yes?

It's well documented that TWO figures were built, at the same time, for DL and WDW. It's not something you can believe or disbelieve.

Snotty attitude aside, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I knew they were designed together but the final results are pretty different between the 2 HM's and I assumed since they found out years before MK's debuted that it wasn't going in that WED moved on from the idea of a HBG in MK pretty quickly.

Where was it going to be?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom