Has anyone ever had to tell a little white lie about their trip to WDW?

bethymouse

I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)

bethymouse

Original Poster
It sounds like your boss is very wise for only trusting you 95% of the time. If you were 100% trustworthy you wouldn't come to a public forum looking for others to validate your dishonesty. Teachers know that make up days are always a possibility and should always plan accordingly.
West Virginia does things a bit differently when it comes to snow days.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
I was just going to ask....what happens if you tell her the truth? What if you tell her, Im so sorry, but we already have a vacation that is impossible to reschedule. And offer to work extra hours the week leading up to get your part of things done since Im assuming thats what it is and they have a deadline?
Unfortunately,I was honest w. her when we went September 2013.:( She "did not like it one bit times 3!".:eek: I know that I am taking a risk, but it is what it is.:( I just feel since there are no restrictions in terms of when and how you're allowed to takes your days ( except for "leave w/o cause as of 10/13) I have every right to take as I see fit. But, she is just an unreasonable person, and unfortunately not very nice.:(

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Boo to anyone who is not nice? How about boo to someone who lies. Not to mention someone who lies who is also teaching children.
Well, I am sure we all tell lies. No one is perfect except for GOD Himself. We are all sinners.:( I would rather acknowledge that I tell lies than not admit to being mean. Teachers are not perfect human beings! Of course, we can also all get mean, especially here on these forums. So truce.

Upvote 0

luv

Many years ago, I dated a guy who never got a day off. He was an extremely nice, laid-back guy, but 30 or 40 days, he'd get ed and turn in his resignation, at which point they'd beg him to stay and give him a day or two off. It was very amusing. He finally found another job and then they had to give him a week off and pay him $2.50 more an hour to get him to stay. (Then they fired his boss and gave me her job and he got as many days off as he wanted. :))

Just a "Things could be worse" story for you.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Many years ago, I dated a guy who never got a day off. He was an extremely nice, laid-back guy, but 30 or 40 days, he'd get ed and turn in his resignation, at which point they'd beg him to stay and give him a day or two off. It was very amusing. He finally found another job and then they had to give him a week off and pay him $2.50 more an hour to get him to stay. (Then they fired his boss and gave me her job and he got as many days off as he wanted. :))

Just a "Things could be worse" story for you.
Love it! And that is so very true!:) Thanks luv.:)

Upvote 0

cslafferty

I know there are LOTS of people who hate when teachers "whine and complain" about taking time off, since we have summers off and time off for all of the major holidays, etc. Well, I am a teacher, and my husband is a firefighter. Both very wonderful professions, and neither of us would live our lives any other way. But we certainly didn't choose our professions for the high salaries!! While we aren't poor, the fact is we are not paid to the extent that we can just take a vacation at peak times and pay premium rates. If I were to only vacation during my school vacation times, that's exactly what we would be faced with - premium rates and premium crowds. We just can't afford that. So, yes, I lie. Or I guess it's more that I just don't disclose all of the facts. In my district, we can take 3 of our sick days each year as "personal business" days, and our principals are not allowed to ask us the details about what our personal business is. It's personal. So I use my personal business days to go to Disney, and I only tell my teammates where I'm going. But, if we didn't have personal business days, then I would lie and take sick days. And that's no different than someone calling sick to go to the baseball game, or to get Christmas shopping done, or just to catch up on things when life gets hectic. That doesn't make me a "liar," "untrustworthy," a bad person, or a bad teacher. So, let's not throw stones.

Bethymouse, have a great time! ;)

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

Make-up days aren't always a possibility. Georgia also does things differently. Sometimes it may snow or other extreme weather and we don't have to make-up the 'school' days. It depends on the calendar and where the last day of school falls. Many times, the teachers may have to make-up on a Saturday or two closer to the date(s) that were missed than added to the end of the year. It's hard to make plans for something that you don't usually have to worry about...like snow!

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

I know there are LOTS of people who hate when teachers "whine and complain" about taking time off, since we have summers off and time off for all of the major holidays, etc. Well, I am a teacher, and my husband is a firefighter. Both very wonderful professions, and neither of us would live our lives any other way. But we certainly didn't choose our professions for the high salaries!! While we aren't poor, the fact is we are not paid to the extent that we can just take a vacation at peak times and pay premium rates. If I were to only vacation during my school vacation times, that's exactly what we would be faced with - premium rates and premium crowds. We just can't afford that. So, yes, I lie. Or I guess it's more that I just don't disclose all of the facts. In my district, we can take 3 of our sick days each year as "personal business" days, and our principals are not allowed to ask us the details about what our personal business is. It's personal. So I use my personal business days to go to Disney, and I only tell my teammates where I'm going. But, if we didn't have personal business days, then I would lie and take sick days. And that's no different than someone calling sick to go to the baseball game, or to get Christmas shopping done, or just to catch up on things when life gets hectic. That doesn't make me a "liar," "untrustworthy," a bad person, or a bad teacher. So, let's not throw stones.

Bethymouse, have a great time! ;)
And...technically, we are not getting summers off...we are only part-time employees who work more than full-time hours for three-fourths of the year...however, they configure our salaries to cover 12 months, so we cannot go on welfare for the summer months...as do other seasonal employees.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom